2 year old sleeping on Eclipse sofa?

mrs.mobster

Im thinking it may be more comfy for DD to sleep on the sofa instead of a pack n play during our next cruise. Our past cruise she was even a little cramped in the ships pack n play. The sofas on Eclipse seem to be armless on one side, so even if we turn the sofa to face the wall, one end will still be open. I know we could always just put a pillow there so if she did tumble off she would be less likely to bonk on something. But had anyone ever had their little one sleep on the sofa turned against the wall? Any tips?

Have you check to see if the cabin has a sofa bed? That would give her "room to roam" while sleeping, and they are quite low to the floor. Or, a pullman bed...instead of putting her up high, take the mattress and put it on the floor! Kids LOVE "adventure" sleeping!

Have you check to see if the cabin has a sofa bed? That would give her "room to roam" while sleeping, and they are quite low to the floor. Or, a pullman bed...instead of putting her up high, take the mattress and put it on the floor! Kids LOVE "adventure" sleeping!

Just be careful if you are using a sofa bed - some of them have big gaps between the back of the sofa part and the mattress..big enough for a toddler to slip between and get trapped.

The Eclipse cabins are the same as the Equinox. No sofa beds... BUT... the couch makes up into a bed by having a mattress put on top of it. The mattress lives in a drawer underneath the bed. My 8 year old sleeps well on that bed.

However, you could very easily pull the mattress out and put it on the floor at night and the issue of falling out would be solved. There's just about enough room, if you put the coffee table out on the balcony (assuming you have one...).

HTH!

• 4 weeks later...
The Eclipse cabins are the same as the Equinox. No sofa beds... BUT... the couch makes up into a bed by having a mattress put on top of it. The mattress lives in a drawer underneath the bed. My 8 year old sleeps well on that bed.

However, you could very easily pull the mattress out and put it on the floor at night and the issue of falling out would be solved. There's just about enough room, if you put the coffee table out on the balcony (assuming you have one...).

HTH!

I don't believe this is true for all cabins. We are going on the Equinox soon, and according to our TA and the ship's deck plans, our cabin has a sofa bed.

??

I don't believe this is true for all cabins. We are going on the Equinox soon, and according to our TA and the ship's deck plans, our cabin has a sofa bed.

??

The Equinox does indeed have sofa beds, and they work as I described, unless you are in a sky suite or suite with much more space. The average cabin is 194 sq. ft. on the Solstice Class ships and I am not aware of any fold out sofa beds in those cabins. The sofa bed is simply a couch with a mattress placed on top of the couch to form one bed against the wall. If another berth was required, you would need a quad cabin with a bed that pops down from the ceiling.

Can you find a picture of a foldout sofa bed on these ships? I would really like to know if such a thing exists and have yet to see it.

Im thinking it may be more comfy for DD to sleep on the sofa instead of a pack n play during our next cruise. Our past cruise she was even a little cramped in the ships pack n play. The sofas on Eclipse seem to be armless on one side, so even if we turn the sofa to face the wall, one end will still be open. I know we could always just put a pillow there so if she did tumble off she would be less likely to bonk on something. But had anyone ever had their little one sleep on the sofa turned against the wall? Any tips?

If you don't mind another suggestion, make purchase of an inflatable bed bolster (target or amazon). You can then arrange it midway across the mattress and allow your DD can sleep the length of the sofa bed. Add a pillow on both ends along the armrest to extend the width (if you want) and then position your bolster lengthwise (under the fitted sheet to prevent her from pushing it). You can inflate it once (and prop it up against the wall during the day). Just tweak it every night before putting it back under the sheet to make sure it hasn't lost any air. It worked well for me and I didn't have to move the sofa. :D

HTH!

Scrapchick, I found this on the Celebrity website for the Eclipse:

Staterooms with an upper bed and sofa bed that sleeps two accommodate a maximum of four guests.

That would suggest that some cabins do indeed have a sofa bed for two.

Scrapchick, I found this on the Celebrity website for the Eclipse:

Staterooms with an upper bed and sofa bed that sleeps two accommodate a maximum of four guests.

That would suggest that some cabins do indeed have a sofa bed for two.

I saw that too, and I think it is just very poor wording... I will take pictures of the "sofa bed" in our 2B cabin on the Eclipse in three weeks time and you will see exactly what I mean. The sofa bed might work well for two toddlers, sleeping at either end of it, but that is about it.

It is not a foldout sofa bed like you see on other cruise lines..... It doesn't fold out, it runs against the wall. The couch IS the bed, once you place a mattress on top. The drop down bunk is the fourth bed!

I think the Celebrity website does a very poor job of making this clear, but the pics they have of their cabins do show the couch and its position. Put a mattress on top of the couch and there's your bed.

Wait till I get on the Eclipse.... I'm going to get the answer to this once and for all.

I saw that too, and I think it is just very poor wording... I will take pictures of the "sofa bed" in our 2B cabin on the Eclipse in three weeks time and you will see exactly what I mean. The sofa bed might work well for two toddlers, sleeping at either end of it, but that is about it.

It is not a foldout sofa bed like you see on other cruise lines..... It doesn't fold out, it runs against the wall. The couch IS the bed, once you place a mattress on top. The drop down bunk is the fourth bed!

I think the Celebrity website does a very poor job of making this clear, but the pics they have of their cabins do show the couch and its position. Put a mattress on top of the couch and there's your bed.

Wait till I get on the Eclipse.... I'm going to get the answer to this once and for all.

Thanks Scrapchick. I just wonder if some sleep one and some sleep two (in which case we still wouldn't know)? Does one sleep on the sofa and one on a trundle bed underneath? I think it would be really unreasonable to expect children to go head to toe. Still, I don't need to worry, thanks to you as we now have a cabin with a drop dunk bunk as well. I am looking forward to your photos. I'd also like to know about storage space in a 2B (4 of us for 14 nights should be interesting!!)

All I can do is repeat myself again like a broken record and tell you that if you are in a standard cabin on the Eclipse/Equinox etc that there is one couch that converts into one sofa bed for one person. There is no trundle in these cabins. The drawer underneath the couch houses the mattress pad that is placed on top of the couch to form the single bed, which is long against the wall and fairly narrow.

These cabins only sleep four people when there is a pop down bed above the couch that recesses during the day and becomes a bunk bed above the couch by night. Other than that, the cabin will sleep three and NOT four... This mythical "double sofa bed" does not exist. I have been on the Equinox and my DD has slept on this couch bed. Has your TA ever been on these ships or is she working off the same website that you and I are looking at??? Look at the couch in the pictures... Imagine the back cushions are taken off and a mattress is put on top. That IS the bed.

I will take pics next month of the couch/bed situation to clarify this once and for all and I will try to get into your cabin to do so, as it is only a couple of cabins down the hall from mine.

These cabins are very narrow and there is no room for a double sofa bed to fold out in any way because it would hit the desk and fridge area and would completely impede access to the balcony, where the couch is by the window.

I think a picture or two is going to speak a thousand words here....

• 3 weeks later...

To the original poster, your child probably will be more comfortable on the sofa bed. I can only imagine the set up is similar to what we had on the Rotterdam. The couch becomes a very narrow twin bed that runs the length of the wall, so one side is exposed. There is a fabulous product called a Bed Bug that is a blow up pillow that straps around a mattress. We used it for our 16 night cruise with a almost 2.5 year old. It does not take up much room and though they sell a pump, it can easily be blown up by mouth upon boarding. During the day we simply put it in the closest area. She loved the bed.

Archived