Freedom not so free......?

I wonder whether expectations increase too much the more cruises you go on? When I was on our first cruise on the Crown Princess everything was so fantastic and people said we reminded them our their enthusiasm of their first cruise.

We are on Indy for the first time next week (second cruise) and I hope I can look at it with new eyes rather than comparing it to our first cruise. Human nature to make comparisons I know and no doubt I will but I must admit I want to be surrounded by people who are enjoying themselves not complaining. ;)

I think you are probably right. For me, being on a cruise, away from my desk and not talking on the phone to clients puts a big smile on my face. I don't care if I have to eat hot dogs every day, I'd be happy with that! :D Enjoy your cruise onboard Independence of the Seas! I have never sailed Princess, but I think you'll be WOW'ed by Royal Caribbean and their Freedom Class of ships. Enjoy!

Maybe if they cruise lines weren't expected to give away so much for free to their Loyal cruisers they could put more money towards the food and make it better. We cruise all different lines and the only lines that I find to always have great food are Celebrity and Disney...we all know we pay more for Disney but Celebrity puts out a quality product and sometimes less than RCCL and CCL prices.

The only line I think the food is horrible in the dining room is NCL and this goes along with what someone else had said...they do this because they have 12 places you can pay to eat at...if the food in the MDR is great, no one will pay to eat elsewhere...EVERY NCL cruise we have gone on, for dinner we have paid to eat all 7 nights, except the first cruise, first night, when we figure it out...we just budget it in...

My one and only cruise so far was in 2002 on Carnival Pride. We had expectations of what food and cruising was going to be like HOWEVER when we sailed it was less than what our dream vacation was going to be. The food was not anything great. Tasted good on a whole but not over the top of what we felt a cruise would offer.

Would you all agree the food quality is like Applebees or some other similar restaurant? I think that is what I remember the quality being like. FOS is especially what I am wanting to know the quality :) we sail Aug 15th and want to not make the same mistake again of what to expect.

I have read a few comments about the food being bland on the Freedom of the Seas..

but no one has mentioned exactly what food items were bland.

Did you have roast chicken, just meat, no spice, no sauce, no gravy, no ketchup, no salt, no pepper?

Did you have soup with no meat, no vegetables, no spice?

Did you have beef or steak with no marinade?

What exactly was bland?

I have been on two cruises so far, Majesty of the seas in 2007 and Carnival Fantasy in 2008. so only 2 and 3 years ago and the food was amazing, well done, well seasoned, well prepared.

I have chatted with several people and all have good things to say about the food on the Freedom of the seas.. so am curious to know exactly what you ate?

While I haven't been cruising in a few years, I LOVE your analogy to Disneyworld! Spot on! I'll probably draw flames, I'm sure, but the amount of space wasted on these boards of folks whining about not getting a stupid free drink, a special seat, or some other nonsense perk that sets them apart from the un-diamonded-masses gets so tiring. Does it really matter if you're D or d+ or double-D-minus or whatever? If you've spent thousands to gain these "elite" status levels, what's the cost of a few drinks? Relax, enjoy - stop worrying about what you're NOT getting for free, and enjoy your amazing experience.

I don't think the OP was complaining about the lack of perks being an diamond member. He paid for a suite, and paid dearly I'm sure. And has probably done so in the past, so coming back and seeing the cutbacks, he has every right to voice his opinions. As far as D and D+, this is what RCCL offers to their customers. It's a promotion for them to keep their passengers loyal. And it works well. (I can't wait to get my key to the diamond lounge) So, when they cutback, people tend to feel slighted. It's understandable. With that said, I would never let those types of things take away from my vacation experience. Any cruise is a good cruise! :D

I totally agree, any cruise is a good cruise as long as I am not at work and the sun is shining!! so I shouldn't complain too much I know...true also that as we cruise more, we have more expectations.......but thought it was something to report......

Forgot about the choc covered strawbs in your room....no more....! lol but they do have those in the lounge.... :) just silly things I know but noticeably missing when used to them.

The beach club at Labadee was lovely. I don't think its worth renting a cabana to be honest as there are plenty of shade/palm trees to sit under....a golf cart meets you at the end of the pier (be warned its a long walk along pier for those with mobility issues) and takes you to beach area, its enclosed and they give you a wrist band for access. snorkelling equip, beach floatees all available and included.....your own waiter....most relaxing....

Re the food....majority of food had garlic and/or peppers, which I abhor, no spices, tasty sauces, again unless you like garlic and peppers.....yes smaller portions, and reduced choices. In WJ, fair, similar to dining room at night of course, good soups, Jade was ok....tho sushi was gross. I love sushi but this was bad...worse than before....

Otherwise i think thats about it.....Hope I have answered most questions.....oh, my suite was GS 1582

btw, I have just cancelled my august cruise on Freedom...got something else half the price and similar itinerary.....no lounge/ Grand Suite but R&R regardless.... ;)

Food is about the same as far as I'm concerned...years ago it was a little better, but on the whole it's just cruise ship food in the MDR. I think that the prime rib, filet, fisherman's platter are just fine...therefore that is when I go to the MDR, otherwise I eat else where. The salads are good, and so are the veggies, I'm not much for dessert except for sherbet...If you want really good food, you have to go to Portofino's or Chops...and that's the long and short of it.

My one and only cruise so far was in 2002 on Carnival Pride. We had expectations of what food and cruising was going to be like HOWEVER when we sailed it was less than what our dream vacation was going to be. The food was not anything great. Tasted good on a whole but not over the top of what we felt a cruise would offer.

Would you all agree the food quality is like Applebees or some other similar restaurant? I think that is what I remember the quality being like. FOS is especially what I am wanting to know the quality :) we sail Aug 15th and want to not make the same mistake again of what to expect.

Wow we just got back from CC Conquest and while some things were a little disappointing, the food quality really took me by a pleasant surprise. i would say it totally beat Applebee's in every way! I didn't have one meal in MDR that I wasn't very pleased with, and somehow they managed to have very tender and perfectly cooked to order beef and lobster. A feat not always accomplished on cruise ships. 2006 Explorer of the Seas also had very good meals to offer.

I absolutely agree. I'm a Dis'er and a cruiser and addicted to both but I spend far more money at Disney. While cruising, I love I can eat all day for free and go and grab a free snack, or two or three or four or five. At Disney I might get two snacks with the Dining plan for the whole day! And that's if I pay for the dining plan. Otherwise everything is out of pocket.

I love both vacations but I also have budgets for both so not to over spend. But it drives me crazy hearing people talk about cruising freebies being taking away. At Disney "What's a Freebie?". LOL!!! We even have to pay to park hop - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

We are Dis'ers too.....and Disney is about the same as the cruise for us.....but your so right....the cruise is breakfast, snacks, pizza,....all when you want for FREE not $30 a pop;)

We are Dis'ers too.....and Disney is about the same as the cruise for us.....but your so right....the cruise is breakfast, snacks, pizza,....all when you want for FREE not $30 a pop;)

Dis'ers unite :) Disneybrat here LOL I might have to take me some Lime Green Mickey heads on our cruise because its the closest my hubby is going to let me get to seeing Mickey :(

Wow we just got back from CC Conquest and while some things were a little disappointing, the food quality really took me by a pleasant surprise. i would say it totally beat Applebee's in every way! I didn't have one meal in MDR that I wasn't very pleased with, and somehow they managed to have very tender and perfectly cooked to order beef and lobster. A feat not always accomplished on cruise ships. 2006 Explorer of the Seas also had very good meals to offer.

We only ate in the dinning room one or two nights.. maybe that is why we didn't have higher quality LOL We did eat in their specialty restraunt and found the food was not as nice as the dinning rooms steak.. Again this was inagural year of the Pride so I am sure she has come along ways since 2002 :) We didn't starve by any means and enjoyed the buffets but I was expecting something different in my mind but reality is all cruises seem to have the same food critiques

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. The OP is correct when they say that food quality has gone down over the years. The food has been getting more tasteless over the years. However this also can vary from ship to ship. The Freedom has terrible chefs on board or maybe they are restricted in what they are allowed to prepare and how they prepare what they do. Where as on the Monarch the chefs are terrific or simply have more leeway in what they are allowed to prepare. On the Freedom the choice is bland, bland, or bland. On the Monarch the choice is spicy, middle of the road, and bland.:D Same goes for the other ships. You can either get the Freedom type chefs or the Monarch type chefs.;) Food is not top priority for me when I cruise so the bland food won't keep me away. However it would be nice to see them step back up to the quality food of years past.:)

Freedom is one of the worst ships in terms of appy's and such in the lounge. Martin is the regular hotel directer on the Freedom and he is "TIGHT".:eek: When Martin is on board as HD then no good appy's in the lounge, no fruit basket or such in stateroom, one plate of chocolate covered strawberries for the week and that is all for diamond plus guests. However, when Martin is away and on holiday then you get a fruit basket, chocolate covered strawberries, and a cheese plate for diamond plus guests. Plus lots of good and different appy's in the lounge.

I know that when I go on the Freedom that if Martin (HD) is on board than the quality and quantity of "amenities" will not be there. However the crew and staff is superb and that is what keeps me coming back! The "amenities" are nice but not a deal breaker for me. I will continue to cruise even with the tasteless food. Besides the bland food keeps me thin!:p:D

This explains a lot. I am usually happy with the food on Royal but I was definitely disappointed on Freedom. Went on IOS 8 months later and the food was much better.

What the heck is persotto?

I think the op meant Prosciutto (ham) which is what I meant, used to get it onboard but no longer.

I forgot to mention for the brits on here....they had blackpudding and english sausages the first 5 days for breakfast!! looove blackpudding....

Totally agreed. But just curious:

I would never let those types of things take away from my vacation experience. Any cruise is a good cruise! :D

Then why this?

(I can't wait to get my key to the diamond lounge)

Honestly, not trying to be snide... just genuinely curious. Why? I just don't get the big deal. It's just a free drink right? :confused: What am I missing?

Archived