Mailing Postcards

outdoordb

Postage is different depending on which country/island your on. Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are US territories. Just remember that the card you send will not get to its intended person like you would expect US postal service. Its not uncommon for postcards to show up 3-4 weeks after you mail them. I've had them show up three months later.

Buy the postcards but mail them once you get back to the US. It will be probably be cheaper and you can be sure they will arrive quicker than if you had mailed them from the ports on your cruise.

Edited by hancock

I don't remember the price, but I do remember it's alot more than I expected. I mail them to me niece and any nephews that aren't with me along with my husband's grandmother (she loves getting mail). It does take a long for everyone to get theirs, but they know there coming and it's kinda neat to see how long it takes. Plus they have a foreign stamp that the kids love.:)

I buy the postcards in the different ports. I buy the stamps at the pursers desk. They will mail them from the ship at the appropriate ports.

Buy the postcards but mail them once you get back to the US. It will be probably be cheaper and you can be sure they will arrive quicker than if you had mailed them from the ports on your cruise.

We do the same. Be sure and mail the cards when you are in a US port, vs on the ship. Found generally the ships tend to mail all the cards at the same time when they return to their last US port.

If you want them sent with foreign postage and postmarked from the ports you visit, obviously you have to mail them from those ports. Many stores sell stamps and use a drop box or take them to the local post office and post them yourself. And yes it can take sometime for them to reach the states but what a great surprise they make on arrival.

I mail postcards to my grandchildren every time we cruise. On our last cruise I bought the postcards in Key West, talked about Freeport, and mailed them in Nassau. It doesn't matter when they get them, just that they get them and know we were thinking about them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

All the French territories use the same stamps as in France, and payment in Euros. It really depends which group of French territories you are sending mail from and where you are sending. Fortunately the French territories (Martinique, Guadaloupe, St. Martin, St. Barts) in the Caribbean all operates on the same rate table. Best to go to a post office and inquire, or look up the rate ahead of time.

In my experience the French post office in the Caribbean operate on Caribbean efficiency. Line up is long and often only one person is working who disappears for long period of time. People deal with their social benefits, banking and all their everyday stuff. If you are visiting more than one French islands in the same cruise, buy French stamps on the first port you visit to save time. Or use the stamp vending machine.

I use an app on my phone called Postagram, we can take a photo on the phone, create the postcard and it will be mailed out, generally we do pictures of DH and I at a spot that is "iconic" to where we are at (the last one I sent was us on Westminster Bridge with Parliament and Big Ben in the background in London) its more personal than a store bought card and a standard price no matter where you are at. All you need is wifi = )

oops just saw this was super old and I'm not sure why its on the front page of my feed......lol

Edited by goolia719