Explorer versus Liberty

minimee

We are currently booked on a 14 night Explorer cruise out of New York. From the roll call, there still doesn't seem to be many kids on board, except for my 5 and 9 year's olds. We booked this cruise thinking it would be great to not have to fly and doing a quick visit to NYC before for New Year's eve, but that is now out of the question, as it will be way to busy for our family to handle :-). We do have to drive 8 hours to get to the port and will sleep around Newark the night before and we have booked 2 cabins to give us our space for the long cruise.

Now, we are rethinking our decision and we are questionning if we should book a B2B on the Liberty out of Miami instead. We really want to do the longer cruise so 14 nights is not a problem. We are thinking there probably will be more families on board (younger crowd) and more activities for my kids to do. We have done the Explorer once before without the kids and the crowd was definately older and sometimes, it just isn't the same. This is approximately the same price, including airfare to Miami.

Should we make the switch?

Since it's the height of winter, I'd rather start out in relatively warm weather, instead of wasting 2 days in both directions in colder waters and weather!

Since the price is the same, the only difference will be the airline restrictions....

Because of the kids, I'd do the switch. We were on the Explorer last month and it definitely is an older crowd. The 14 night cruises always draws the more "mature" group. The Liberty will have more things for the kids to do. Also, CB is correct that you'll pretty much lose the first 2 days and the last 2 days of good weather on the EOS.

Well you would have to add another day (if not two) to the Liberty cruise because you are flying from Canada into Miami -- or do you not think the snow will be a factor yet?

I would be worried about the snow delaying the flights. So you would need to add 2 days in Miami (2 nights in a hotel)

One night, at least.

If that doesn't scare you. Then yes, I would switch Explorer for Liberty in a heartbeat. And actually, I HAVE switch Explorer for a Freedom class -- TWICE ;) I have had Explorer booked on two separate occasions and on those two separate occasions, the prices for the Freedom class ships (with airfare AND hotel) dropped below the price of the Explorer -- so it was a no brainer for me -- I cancelled Explorer both times.

The kids LOVED Freedom and Independence (the sister ships of Liberty) -- so I know I made the right choice. When the price drops lower, it doesn't make any sense to stick with Explorer -- NONE.

Convenience -- MAYBE.

But CBSea is right -- you lose 4 warm days (at least) by choosing to sail out of NJ in the winter.

Thanks, thats what we keep thinking...

I will talk it over again this weekend with my husband. We keep saying that December 31st in Fort Lauderdale now seems much better than Newark, NJ... We will be on work holidays starting December 31, so a few extra days to get to Miami (on the 31st or 1st), is no problem.

Thanks again

We just did the Explorer at the end of April with our twins girls. Not many kids on board, but it was ok with us, because the girls had space in the pool to swim.

But, i would not leave from N-Y or Jersey in winter. You'll was 2 days to go and 2 days to come back:( So on 14 days you'll only have 10 days of warm weather:eek:

If the price is about the same, fly to Miami or an other Florida warm port;)

Archived