Cost of Insurance

Would anyone out there be bold enough to share how much you pay for trip insurance? My TA called to give me the quote from the company they use (our cruise isn't until next May) and I think it sounds great, but I wanted to see what was the norm. I know a lot depends on what is included. This has the basic medical, trip delay, trip cancelation, trip interruption, lost baggage, etc, etc. It is a family plan (myself, DH, DD,DS) and it is $96 for our 7 day cruise for all four of us (not each). I think that's awesome, but I've never bought insurance before so I don't know. I also am not sure if we buy cruise thru the TA and air on our own if the air part is covered- that part is still unclear to me. Since the insurance isn't the Travel Agency's own insurance I would think that wouldn't matter, but I will have to clarify that.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

For a 7 night cruise, we are typically paying around $60-70 per person. We don't have airfare. Our travel insurance is based on how much the cruise costs + our age (30), so if we added airefare, it would go up. Our insurance looks like it covers pretty much what yours covers.

I would imagine that the TA's travel insurance is not covering your airefare, since it is not included in your package. You could get separate travel insurance for the airfare if you want.

Your cost is very reasonable. We just paid about $500 for our insurance. However, we needed 'pre-existing coverage', and we paid extra for 'cancel for any reason.' We are 70 and 82 years old. We got TravelEx insurance, and the price is based on the cost of the total trip AND your age. Age is the biggie.

I found a great rate that covers the main things I am concerned about: missed flights, delayed flights, getting us to the next island if we miss the ship, medical coverage (medivac) and luggage delay or loss. We are doing a B2B and estimate our cruise and air to be about $2500 each. This does not include excursions. We are paying $99 TOTAL for our insurance. We are in our mid-20's and have no health concerns, no pre-existing conditions, and our medical insurance coverage is good outside of the US.

I found a great rate that covers the main things I am concerned about: missed flights, delayed flights, getting us to the next island if we miss the ship, medical coverage (medivac) and luggage delay or loss. We are doing a B2B and estimate our cruise and air to be about $2500 each. This does not include excursions. We are paying $99 TOTAL for our insurance. We are in our mid-20's and have no health concerns, no pre-existing conditions, and our medical insurance coverage is good outside of the US.

Its not about being healthy its about having enough coverage if you get injured and have to be airlifted back to the US.... that is VERY expensive and needs to have 250K atleast from what I was told

Would anyone out there be bold enough to share how much you pay for trip insurance? My TA called to give me the quote from the company they use (our cruise isn't until next May) and I think it sounds great, but I wanted to see what was the norm. I know a lot depends on what is included. This has the basic medical, trip delay, trip cancelation, trip interruption, lost baggage, etc, etc. It is a family plan (myself, DH, DD,DS) and it is $96 for our 7 day cruise for all four of us (not each). I think that's awesome, but I've never bought insurance before so I don't know. I also am not sure if we buy cruise thru the TA and air on our own if the air part is covered- that part is still unclear to me. Since the insurance isn't the Travel Agency's own insurance I would think that wouldn't matter, but I will have to clarify that.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Compare the price you were given to other plans on http://www.insuremytrip.com. I always put in the date I am actually leaving on my flight which is usually 2 days before the cruise and this way flights are covered.

Cost of insurance depends on factors such as age of travelers, length of trip, cost of trip, etc.

Compare the price you were given to other plans on www.insuremytrip.com. I always put in the date I am actually leaving on my flight which is usually 2 days before the cruise and this way flights are covered.

Cost of insurance depends on factors such as age of travelers, length of trip, cost of trip, etc.

I agree; though your price sounds real good - do check out insuremytrip.com to see if you can find something even cheaper, or a better policy for the same price. One tip - length of trip is often not a big factor in cost of travel insurance (unless you exceed one month). So if your trip is 10 days, price it out for an extra couple of days in case you are stranded somewhere. With many policies the price will be exactly the same.

To the OP.....I just realized that I did not answer your question. I buy travel insurance on every trip I take. Recently I paid $140 for 9 days (7 day cruise plus 2 precruise days) for 4 people ages 64,58,40 and 26. As we have gotten older, the price goes up.

Its not about being healthy its about having enough coverage if you get injured and have to be airlifted back to the US.... that is VERY expensive and needs to have 250K atleast from what I was told

Our policy has $500,000 worth of coverage should we need to be airlifted.

To the OP.....I just realized that I did not answer your question. I buy travel insurance on every trip I take. Recently I paid $140 for 9 days (7 day cruise plus 2 precruise days) for 4 people ages 64,58,40 and 26. As we have gotten older, the price goes up.

I think that trip cost must be the overriding factor as I am not getting near the prices being quoted on this thread (I usually get CSA Luxe).

I think that trip cost must be the overriding factor as I am not getting near the prices being quoted on this thread (I usually get CSA Luxe).

What is your estimated cost? Our B2B is running us about $5000, for hotel, air, and cruise costs, not counting spending money and excursions (that brings it up quite a bit). We are doing a basic policy and found insurance for $99.

Could you send me an email with the details of your insurance co? I want to check them out for our next trip :) sounds like you got a GREAT deal!!!

My email is disneybrat67@yahoo.com

Trip cost for us was total of $5000, 4 people with ages I earlier stated, 9 days, Miami to Miami. And as I said the cost has gone up as we have gotten older. Insurance was $140 total.

I would also be interested in finding less expensive ins. than we usually pay, but we, too, are older. Is it ok to name insurance companies on this site? I know we can't name TA's, but what about insurance company names? We pay way more than $99!

Thanks for any shared company names. :)

Cruzin Lady

Trip cost for us was total of $5000, 4 people with ages I earlier stated, 9 days, Miami to Miami. And as I said the cost has gone up as we have gotten older. Insurance was $140 total.

Ok trip cost for us (party of 5) usually runs around 8-10k with air and I usually pay about $370 give or take $20 for a policy that covers pre-existing conditions.

I take it you live in the US. I live in the UK, and the bank account that I have gives me yearly travel insurance - so it doesn't cost me anything

PS I have a friend who works with me she also has the same bank account and goes on Royal Caribbean cruises all the time - so free travel Insurance

Our total trip air/cruise/hotel approx 13k..RCI wanted 239pp just for cruise Ins. We went with Access America 790 for two it covers everything we could think of and was just a few $ more than the one with less(med evac) coverage ..On the otherside of the world better to be safe than sorry..What do you think of the price anyone had anything comparable ?

The insurance also varies with age and the total cost of your trip, so you are going to get varying answers. $96 for 4 people for 7 nights sounds extremely cheap.

We paid $104 for a family of five for 7 nights.

We too live in the UK. Renewed our annual travel insurance in March. I am 75 and my wife is 77. Paid £280 including tax for travel world wide including America and Caribbean. Includes medical expenses up to ten million, lost baggage, flight delay and cancellation and highjack.

We paid $104 for a family of five for 7 nights.

What are age groups, and total trip price? And what is the company? I think the age ranges/trip price is making a difference.

I just did insure my trip and the cheapest quote was $138 for a 5-night Bermuda. Next couple of quotes were $150, $172 and then UP.

Our total trip air/cruise/hotel approx 13k..RCI wanted 239pp just for cruise Ins. We went with Access America 790 for two it covers everything we could think of and was just a few $ more than the one with less(med evac) coverage ..On the otherside of the world better to be safe than sorry..What do you think of the price anyone had anything comparable ?

If you look at the Royal Caribbean Cruise Care policy, it covers your airfare too.. I don't know. Sometimes we purchase cruise line insurance, which we did for a fall transatlantic this year. We are arriving in Rome 3 days early.

For a spring B2B cruise, we purchased outside insurance, because it was cheaper to combine both cruises into 14+ days of travel/one trip. I don't know if one policy is really that much better than another. It's just important that you HAVE travel insurance, just like car insurance or home/renter's insurance. I think the particular policy that you decide on is more of a personal decision. It's always a balance of price and features. :D:):D

Archived