Transportation to taormina

bogey

Our cruise will be anchoring at Taormina. I would like to get from the tender dock up to the town of Taormina without taking the ship's tour (have been there before, so don't really need a tour and guide.) Are taxis plentiful? Cost? Other recommendations?

Thanks for info and advice,

Bogey

Am on cruise now. We are using Mario at shuttlemario@live.it (e-mail). Will arrive there tomorrow. Can let you know how it goes. There's also Presto Tours that can take you there. There are taxis at dock to Taormina, not super cheap, but they will wait for you and take you back.

I understand there's a bus too, but you would have to search the boards for more info on that and it's a good 1 1/2hours each way by bus.

If you don't want a guide around Taormina, then I would consider taking the ships bus to Taormina and doing yourself. Our ship's price for bus to Taormina was not that expensive compared to taxi.

We opted to do tour and visit Castelmola also along with Taormina.

Good Luck.

Rocket Girl

Our cruise will be anchoring at Taormina. I would like to get from the tender dock up to the town of Taormina without taking the ship's tour (have been there before, so don't really need a tour and guide.) Are taxis plentiful? Cost? Other recommendations?

Are you tendering at Giardini Naxos? If so, there is a bus from the train station to Taormina for only a couple of euros, round trip.

Here is the web site for the bus from Giardini Naxos to Taorimina.

To see the schedule, scroll down to "Ricerca Orari Linee Regionali", then enter Giardini Naxos under "Localita di Partenza" and Taormina under "Localita di arrivo", then click "Visualizza Soluzioni" and you'll see the schedule. Reverse the entries to get the return trip times.

http://interbus.it/

All --

Thanks for the helpful info. Yes, we will be tendering into Giardini Naxos. Although the cruise line (Silversea) is running shuttle service into town in most ports, they don't have a shuttle from Giardini Naxos to Taormina.

I've been to Taormina a couple of times and therefore don't really feel the need to take one of the ship's shore excursions. I do look forward to going to the town, shopping, dining and maybe making another visit to the Greek Theater.

Is the bus station easily accessible from where the tenders dock?

Thanks again,

Bogey

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but our Oceania ship was to anchor off T and tender in but weather conditions prevailed and we instead docked at Messina. I'm just telling you this so you all can have a Plan B or perhaps even a Plan C! Taxis are waiting for you in Messina or you can take the ship's excursion and know that you will get to T....it is beautiful!

Does anyone know how much a taxi from Messina to Taormina runs? We will be on the Century in July, and tours are fairly pricey just to drive from Messina to Taormina, passing Mt Etna on the way. We would rent a car, but none of us knows how to drive a stick shift.

Thanks.

Archived