Continental or Delta FLL-SYR

toberman

These seem to be my 2 best options. Both leave at the same time and arrive roughly the same time. Both have 2+ hours layover and are the same price. Continental is thru EWR and Delta is thru DTW, both mid afternoon.

I'm not familiar with EWR, DTW, or either airline. Any thoughts??

The only other option that is feasible is US Air thru CLT at $90pp more.

I've looked at JetBlue, but their sked doesn't work.

BTW - this is early Dec (thinking weather delays).

IMO, it doesn't really make a big difference. Is there an airline alliance you would prefer to earn miles on?

Nope. Know we have to change terminals in EWR (which seems easy), but can't find any info at Metro if we would have to as well. Delta uses Comair and they're not listed on the terminal directory. Both companies use either RJs or ERJs into SYR, so that doesn't make a difference either.

I'm a big fan of DTW. 4 parallel runways and the super-efficient McNamara Terminal. To/from an RJ, you'll often have to use the tunnel to the B/C concourse, but there is a moving walkway and a light/sound "experience" for you to have while in the tunnel.

Also, you won't find a separate listing for Comair - just the main DL designation.

For some, the type of plane is an important consideration. I looked at Expedia for an arbtirary early Dec. date (12/3), and some of the Continental options through EWR involved a DeHavilland Dash (prop) plane to SYR, while othrs use an Embraer (Brazilian equivalent of CRJ). Delta seems to use CRJs for DTW-SYR. Personally, I'd probably go with Delta, in order to use DTW instead of EWR, especially if my Continental option involved the prop plane (in winter). Expedia showed JetBlue costing $14 more than the others, connecting through JFK, using Airbus 320s for both flights

Thanks for everyone's interest and input. My preference would be JetBlue, but their timing doesn't work. Think I'll probably end up with DTW if just to stay away from the congestion of the NYC area. Flying times the same, slightly longer layover at Metro.

I'm assuming, since no one has commented - both airlines are equal.

Archived