HAL Roomate Match

Kimbopolo

When using this service, can you book any cabin you want and HAL will try to match you up? (Just wondering, for example, if you booked a suite and no roomate was available, do you pay 1 fare)?

I inquired because I love those long S.Pacific cruises which HAL does so well. I was told they only consider smoking vs. nonsmoking in the match. Also,they do not base pricing on lowest I/O but almost the highest in each catagory. On the one HAL I did average age upper 70s. I figured I didnt want to be an unpaid babysitter so said no. It would be more pleasant to find a good sale price and offer to pay say 1/2 of a friends fare.

I know it is tempting, because of economics, but I would really think twice about a match up. Years ago RCCL had a match program where you paid a set price for an inside & if they didn't find anyone you got to sail alone. This worked great 3 times but the 4th time I got the roomate from hell.

I knew it was going to be bad when I first entered the cabin & she said "Thank God you are here!" It went downhill from there. Not only was she the "magnetic" roomate who acted like we were joined @ the hip but she also insisted on knowing how long I would be gone if I made an excuse to escape for a few minutes. She also acted like I was a combination travel guide/personal assistant ("Where or we going to go today?" "Would you remind very much...picking up the excursion tickets, zipping me up etc. etc. etc). She was much older then me ( 30 vrs 60) so I really tried to remain positive & polite. It was really hard as she was very negative, hypercritical & entitled. By day 3 I began fantasizing about her falling overboard or having to be airlifted off the ship. Not pretty thoughts, but I could not take it anymore. I went to customer relations and threw myself on their mercy. The ship nearly full but they managed to find me a cabin to move to & I gladly paid the difference. Instead of just disappearing I gave her the courtesy of letting her know I was moving. I told her it was due to my claustrophobia not anything to do with her. I also let her know that I worked things out with customer service & that she could stay alone & not pay any extra. (Even though they charged me to move!) She screamed at me & called me a lot of nasty names & said I was ruining her vacation. I took her abuse one last time & spent the next 4 days blissfully alone.

It was on this trip that I decide to go solo in the future unless I was traveling with my daughter. Even if you are traveling with a friend you never know what they are really like until you spend a week with them is tight quarters. It just isn't worth it to save a few bucks. Privacy and freedom are priceless!

koko1,

Thanks for saving me from my frugal self! I guess the roomate thing is really a gamble- 1 out of 4 chance one may live to regret it?

Your point about traveling with a friend is well-taken.

Thanks! ;)

I know it is tempting, because of economics, but I would really think twice about a match up. Years ago RCCL had a match program where you paid a set price for an inside & if they didn't find anyone you got to sail alone. This worked great 3 times but the 4th time I got the roomate from hell.

I knew it was going to be bad when I first entered the cabin & she said "Thank God you are here!" It went downhill from there. Not only was she the "magnetic" roomate who acted like we were joined @ the hip but she also insisted on knowing how long I would be gone if I made an excuse to escape for a few minutes. She also acted like I was a combination travel guide/personal assistant ("Where or we going to go today?" "Would you remind very much...picking up the excursion tickets, zipping me up etc. etc. etc). She was much older then me ( 30 vrs 60) so I really tried to remain positive & polite. It was really hard as she was very negative, hypercritical & entitled. By day 3 I began fantasizing about her falling overboard or having to be airlifted off the ship. Not pretty thoughts, but I could not take it anymore. I went to customer relations and threw myself on their mercy. The ship nearly full but they managed to find me a cabin to move to & I gladly paid the difference. Instead of just disappearing I gave her the courtesy of letting her know I was moving. I told her it was due to my claustrophobia not anything to do with her. I also let her know that I worked things out with customer service & that she could stay alone & not pay any extra. (Even though they charged me to move!) She screamed at me & called me a lot of nasty names & said I was ruining her vacation. I took her abuse one last time & spent the next 4 days blissfully alone.

It was on this trip that I decide to go solo in the future unless I was traveling with my daughter. Even if you are traveling with a friend you never know what they are really like until you spend a week with them is tight quarters. It just isn't worth it to save a few bucks. Privacy and freedom are priceless!

Yikes!:eek:

Every time I read a roommate title I think of a thread long ago with the most horrific stories. Eye-watering smelly feet and feminine hygiene issues were the two that I have remembered all these years. Yuck!

I did a room-mate match thing years ago, but it was for a conference. I told her to not bother being quiet in the morning, and I would get up when I heard her moving around. She felt the need to gently shake me on my shoulder, and when I opened my eyes, her eyes were about 3 inches from mine. Yuck! Never again!

I had numerous room mates over the years and in general they'd been good experiences, but I've had a few weird ones too:

1) Alaska cruise - I shared a cabin with a rather large gentlemen of size. He was very messy and snored so loud I had to buy ear plugs. One time he asked me if it was OK for him to smoke pot in the cabin. He was like a hold over from the 60's. He was very needed and wanted to hang out with me. I tried to stay away from him as much as I could.

2) Caribbean Cruise - I shared a cabin with a guy from NY. First thing he told me once we first met was he liked to dress up as a women in drag. My response to him as "all the time." No, he replied just on formal nights and to the disco. The strange thing about it was he actually looked better as a women and was a very interesting person to talk to. Very respectful cabin mate, but still strange to see woman's evening gowns hanging in the closet. No...this is true. I'm not making this up.

3) Mexico cruise - I shared a cabin with a young Asian guy. He walks into the cabin, takes one look at me and signs. I was horrified. He made it clear very early on he was traveling with friends and didn't want anytime to do with me. OK-fine. During the cruise and once he got to know me he lighted up to me a tad, but other then that he didn't want much to do with me and was rarely seen.

Having a room mate is a challenge. You must be able to go with the flow and set the ground rules up front and just use the cabin to sleep and change.

Quote by COMBOY:

"2) Caribbean Cruise - I shared a cabin with a guy from NY. First thing he told me once we first met was he liked to dress up as a women in drag. My response to him as "all the time." No, he replied just on formal nights and to the disco. The strange thing about it was he actually looked better as a women and was a very interesting person to talk to. Very respectful cabin mate, but still strange to see woman's evening gowns hanging in the closet. No...this is true. I'm not making this up."

That one made me smile:D...that is the kind of story you couldn't

make up;)

I have shared a cabin twice in all of my cruises...both gals I had

met through Cruise Critic and we got along fine but after the 2nd

share I realized I just value my own space too much to give it up

again.....besides all the things that could happen.

I have already cruised twice this year (solo of course) and now trying

to get a 3rd one in before the end of the year:)

Archived