"The MDR can BEST be described as ..."  

537 members have voted

1. 1. "The MDR can BEST be described as ..."

• Ruth's Chris / Maggiano's
    • Cheesecake Factory / Brio / PFChang
    • Olive Garden / Red Lobster / Tony Roma
    • Applebee's / Friday's / Chili's
    • Denny's / Sizzler / Big Boy

I know it wasn't an option on the poll but the MDR to me is on the level of a banquet hall. I would say a higher end banquet hall.

Every night in the MDR ,dinner is like a night @ a wedding (food wise!). Some weddings events you have more choices or no choice, kind of like how some nights onboard you find 2-3 things you really like on the menu and the next night nothing appeals.

The MDR has waiters for beverage service which is a positive plus and most weddings do not.

We used the MDR as an model for our daughter's wedding, and then making the upgrades we deemed necessary. In the MDR some tables have a view, we had a glass conservatory so all had a view. We each had a drink waiter (1 for 3 tables) and 2 servers for each table.Our menu had was based on a ships menu in the way that it was broken down into catagories w/ each catagory having 3-4 choices, except for dessert. Point being, banquet rooms and food can be what you make them and Carnival's is fine w/ me.

We like to go to the MDR and we usually go the the speciality restaurant twice during a cruise for a really good steak!

I don't feel like I can vote. Of the 5 restaurants in the first two choices, I've never heard of 3 of them and the other 2 do not have locations in my area. I do feel, though, that the MDR on a cruise is much better than Olive Garden or Red Lobster.

I think food quality is more around that of a Applebe's or Chili's. But I know taste varies from person to person. We have only been on 2 cruises(both Carnival) and we rated the food in the MDR far below that of our favorite Las Vegas buffets. My wife and I eat out often and we like to try different restaurants. MOF, we've ate at almost every restaurant on the poll, more than once. And in our opinion if you sorted all the restaurants in the poll out from best to worst, the MDR would be in the bottom half. YET, considering what you pay for dining it's a good bargain.

Originally Posted by LemurCat viewpost.gif

I refuse to be rushed. So instead I sit there and make comments about it and wait for the MD to ask me why I'm not enjoying the show. :p

No rush, I just get up and walk out. I'd rather do that than subject myself to the no talent stumbling and screaming they call dancing and singing.

I don't know about your cruise(s), but every night on mine the waiters' show started either right after we got dessert or before we got it - in fact, I think it was even before we got to order our desserts in at least one case. There was no walking out unless we wanted to skip dessert (and we definitely wanted our Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes!). I, too, hated the waiters' shows and would have left if I could.

I don't know about your cruise(s), but every night on mine the waiters' show started either right after we got dessert or before we got it - in fact, I think it was even before we got to order our desserts in at least one case. There was no walking out unless we wanted to skip dessert (and we definitely wanted our Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes!). I, too, hated the waiters' shows and would have left if I could.

We found ourselves in the same predicament -- endure the "show" and you get dessert. We tried a different strategy one evening -- arrived right on time, ordered fast, ate fast and we were out before the show began, but dinner felt very rushed.

Dessert is NOT worth sitting thru that nonsense.

I disagree. Unless the dessert selections are lacking that night and the coffee shop is looking like the sweets vendor of choice.

I'm allergic to desserts. They make my body swell up!!!:eek::rolleyes::D

:eek:

Yes.

Well, I've actually cut down my Real Housewives watching since the last season of Orange County. I just can't take the conspicuous consumption anymore, especially when half of them have their homes in foreclosure.

Well, I've actually cut down my Real Housewives watching since the last season of Orange County. I just can't take the conspicuous consumption anymore, especially when half of them have their homes in foreclosure.

Go to Home Depot.

Buy a brick, a big brick.

Take brick home.

Throw brick through your TV screen.

Your life will be improved!!!:D:D

Go to Home Depot.

Buy a brick, a big brick.

Take brick home.

Throw brick through your TV screen.

Your life will be improved!!!:D:D

1. The Flyers are in the Stanley Cup Finals, so no.

2. Except on game nights, I only watch about two hours of television a day, and even that's usually background noise for reading.

3. How will I watch my pirated DVDs if I have no tv?

4. I prefer Elvis' method.

I may be a single candle blowing in the wind, but I think the "entertainment" by the waiters at the end of the meal is fun and I like seeing the wait staff in a different context and seeing them enjoying themselves. It's not all that different from a wedding singer and everyone dancing the tarantella.... or polka... or some other activity most of you would apparently consider tacky, gaudy, tasteless and beneath you.

You can tell by the vast majority of passengers waving their towels with great big smiles on their faces, that they're having fun, too. You know that Carnival has thoroughly researched things like this and would drop it if their research didn't show that the majority really enjoy it, so lighten up, guys. Force yourself to "endure" two minutes of "low-class" shenanigans. Patience is indeed a virtue.

I also watch tv and actually like the shows I watch. I honestly feel that today's television is the best it's ever been. There are some amazing shows out there, particularly on HBO, Showtime and F/X.

Life is too short (and as someone who is older than petrified dinosaur dooky, I am well aware of it) to waste even a minute of it in complaining about petty things which others obviously like, but which just don't measure up to your exalted standards.:)

A cruise ship's entertainment can never (because of logistical and cost factors) measure up to a Morton's or Ruth's Chris (although they come close in the specialty dining rooms) and the entertainment can never measure up to Carnegie Hall or the Lincoln Center or Wolftrap and so on.

Just put on your Big Boy or Big Girl Panties and deal with it and try not to put down the things which don't appeal to you. It's really not all about you, despite what you may think or desire. :D

And whining can become SO tedious. :)

1. The Flyers are in the Stanley Cup Finals, so no.

2. Except on game nights, I only watch about two hours of television a day, and even that's usually background noise for reading.

3. How will I watch my pirated DVDs if I have no tv?

4. I prefer Elvis' method.

Hockey????

That's just overdressed boxing!!:p

Wot da he!! is the Elvis method?

Hockey????

That's just overdressed boxing!!:p

Dude, we're like 30 years past the Broad Street Bullies and the instigator rule. There hasn't been a single fight these Finals.

Wot da he!! is the Elvis method?

Shoot the thing with a .45.

I may be a single candle blowing in the wind' date=' but I think the "entertainment" by the waiters at the end of the meal is fun and I like seeing the wait staff in a different context and seeing them enjoying themselves. It's not all that different from a wedding singer and everyone dancing the tarantella.... or polka... or some other activity most of you would apparently consider tacky, gaudy, tasteless and beneath you.[/quote']

Beneath me? No. Beneath the dignity of the fine people who work the ships? Perhaps. But that's my opinion. You're free to agree or not.

And whining can become SO tedious. :)

You know what else is tedious? Sermons from petrified dinosaurs. But then again, you started sailing in the age of salted beef and plum duff. You're just happy you're not getting flogged on a grating for cursing. ;)

Beneath me? No. Beneath the dignity of the fine people who work the ships? Perhaps. But that's my opinion. You're free to agree or not.

You know what else is tedious? Sermons from petrified dinosaurs. But then again, you started sailing in the age of salted beef and plum duff. You're just happy you're not getting flogged on a grating for cursing. ;)

Almost all the dining room personnel I've talked to have told me that they really enjoy it and that it helps break up the monotony of their routines. And for two minutes, they're not having to deal with whiny, complaining passengers. :D

As for flogging, don't knock it until you've tried it. :D You may find yourself moaning, "Hurt me! Hurt me!" :eek:

Almost all the dining room personnel I've talked to have told me that they really enjoy it and that it helps break up the monotony of their routines. And for two minutes' date=' they're not having to deal with whiny, complaining passengers. :D[/quote']

I've had a couple who disappeared about ten minutes before it started and then re-appeared looking relieved once it was over. The one flat-out told me he hates it, especially because he'd been groped by a passenger the cruise before. I know people enjoy it. I'm sure some of the servers enjoy it. I don't think a lot of people dedicate a ton of thought to it, but if they did, especially through some specific filters, I don't think they'd particularly like what they came up with.

As for flogging, don't knock it until you've tried it. :D You may find yourself moaning, "Hurt me! Hurt me!" :eek:

I much prefer to handle the cat-o-nine-tails, thanks. ;)

I much prefer to handle the cat-o-nine-tails, thanks. ;)

A cat with nine tails? I guess that's a tail for each of the nine lives.

Does that also mean that when they tend to their "bidness" that they have to cover up nine different little piles?

Now that could be tedious. :D

A cat with nine tails? I guess that's a tail for each of the nine lives.

Does that also mean that when they tend to their "bidness" that they have to cover up nine different little piles?

Now that could be tedious. :D

For both them and us. Imagine how often you'd have to change that litter.

Archived