"The MDR can BEST be described as ..."  

537 members have voted

1. 1. "The MDR can BEST be described as ..."

• Ruth's Chris / Maggiano's
    • Cheesecake Factory / Brio / PFChang
    • Olive Garden / Red Lobster / Tony Roma
    • Applebee's / Friday's / Chili's
    • Denny's / Sizzler / Big Boy

To be truly inedible' date=' the food would not be able to be consumed by anyone on the ship. If you and your friends didn't care for something, then it might not be to your taste, but that doesn't make it inedible in the true sense of the word.

As for the visible fish skin, I think the fish skin is often the best part. :D[/quote']

Yes, some of it was truly inedible. Like the raw salmon. I know what the word means. ;)

Some of them were edible, but nobody would want to eat them (not a picky taste thing).

LOL at the fish skin. My dog likes fish skins.... :p (NOT calling you a dog!) But the way to serve fish isn't skin-side-up.

Oh, and not everybody in the group was my friend or is now my friend.

But the way to serve fish isn't skin-side-up.

Eric Ripert would beg disagree.Some dishes are served skin-side up, if the skin is to be enjoyed with the flesh. Others are served skin-side down, if the flesh is to be pulled from the skin. Fish skin, especially if it crisps up nicely and is properly seasoned quite often provides a nice contrast to the flesh of the fish, especially if it's especially soft. (But not mushy. Mushy fish is just nasty.)

And she's not a picky eater? :D:rolleyes::D

Nope, not at all. She's my best friend and I've seen her eat anything and everything (except veal; she's the anti-veal person) over the years. But on that/those night(s), she'd ordered several different entrees and couldn't eat any or much of any of them, so she gave up trying to get something from the dining room (like most normal ppl would). She had dessert and then went to the Lido to eat something (she'd said a sandwich one night, but I don't know exactly what she ate 'cause I didn't go with her).

This same group of ppl had no problem eating at a run-down, local, Puerto Rican side-of-the-road outdoor food stand on the way back from the rainforest in Puerto Rico (most of the group did this excursion).

These are ppl from all walks of life, all ages 20s-70s (or maybe 60s - I didn't ID them, LOL), different states or provinces (U.S. and Canadian citizens), different tastes, different incomes, different jobs, etc.

Eric Ripert would beg disagree.Some dishes are served skin-side up, if the skin is to be enjoyed with the flesh. Others are served skin-side down, if the flesh is to be pulled from the skin. Fish skin, especially if it crisps up nicely and is properly seasoned quite often provides a nice contrast to the flesh of the fish, especially if it's especially soft. (But not mushy. Mushy fish is just nasty.)

I don't know if the skin was seasoned (didn't look it), but we're talking of the salmon dish. I don't think the skin is eaten on that.

Mushy anything is pretty nasty! I don't recall the fish being mushy. Don't think anything else was mushy, either.

I don't know if the skin was seasoned (didn't look it), but we're talking of the salmon dish. I don't think the skin is eaten on that.

Mushy anything is pretty nasty! I don't recall the fish being mushy. Don't think anything else was mushy, either.

Not always a good thing ... especially when it's at the other end of the spectrum, as in raw like you said. ;)

Nope, not at all. She's my best friend and I've seen her eat anything and everything (except veal; she's the anti-veal person) over the years. But on that/those night(s), she'd ordered several different entrees and couldn't eat any or much of any of them, so she gave up trying to get something from the dining room (like most normal ppl would). She had dessert and then went to the Lido to eat something (she'd said a sandwich one night, but I don't know exactly what she ate 'cause I didn't go with her).

This same group of ppl had no problem eating at a run-down, local, Puerto Rican side-of-the-road outdoor food stand on the way back from the rainforest in Puerto Rico (most of the group did this excursion).

These are ppl from all walks of life, all ages 20s-70s (or maybe 60s - I didn't ID them, LOL), different states or provinces (U.S. and Canadian citizens), different tastes, different incomes, different jobs, etc.

Sorry, dude, but any person who cannot find enough on a huge menu (like Carnival has for the dining room) to keep from being "hungry" is an extremely picky eater. You state that your group had no problems with "a run-down, local, Puerto Rican side-of-the-road outdoor food stand". Maybe you and your group have palates that are just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the finer points of cuisine? :confused:

Anything presented in a DR that is unexpected is USUALLY met with open arms. Look what happens when a lit cake comes out a side door, and people start singing Happy Birthday.

I also have always enjoyed the evening entertainment in the MDR, even more so, now sailing with a child.

Your posts invite incredibility.

I may be a single candle blowing in the wind' date=' but I think the "entertainment" by the waiters at the end of the meal is fun and I like seeing the wait staff in a different context and seeing them enjoying themselves. It's not all that different from a wedding singer and everyone dancing the tarantella.... or polka... or some other activity most of you would apparently consider tacky, gaudy, tasteless and beneath you.

You can tell by the vast majority of passengers waving their towels with great big smiles on their faces, that they're having fun, too. You know that Carnival has thoroughly researched things like this and would drop it if their research didn't show that the majority really enjoy it, so lighten up, guys. Force yourself to "endure" two minutes of "low-class" shenanigans. Patience is indeed a virtue.

I also watch tv and actually like the shows I watch. I honestly feel that today's television is the best it's ever been. There are some amazing shows out there, particularly on HBO, Showtime and F/X.

Life is too short (and as someone who is older than petrified dinosaur dooky, I am well aware of it) to waste even a minute of it in complaining about petty things which others obviously like, but which just don't measure up to your exalted standards.:)

A cruise ship's entertainment can never (because of logistical and cost factors) measure up to a Morton's or Ruth's Chris (although they come close in the specialty dining rooms) and the entertainment can never measure up to Carnegie Hall or the Lincoln Center or Wolftrap and so on.

Just put on your Big Boy or Big Girl Panties and deal with it and try not to put down the things which don't appeal to you. It's really not all about you, despite what you may think or desire. :D

And whining can become SO tedious. :)[/quote']

well said!! my sentiments exactly!!

Sorry' date=' dude, but any person who cannot find enough on a huge menu (like Carnival has for the dining room) to keep from being "hungry" is an extremely picky eater. You state that your group had no problems with "a run-down, local, Puerto Rican side-of-the-road outdoor food stand". Maybe you and your group have palates that are just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the finer points of cuisine? :confused:[/quote']

The food in the MDR is ok IMO. I also consider it a good deal since you get food in the buffet, and room service and a room to sleep in on the ship. On it's own, I wouldn't pay extra for it. If it came down to paying $10 for the MDR or eating in the buffet for free, I'm eating for free.

Food and service are actually very similar to a historic 4-diamond hotel dining room I once worked at. None of the chain restaurant choices seem to fit in my mind. So while not five star, very close to 4.
I think this is a good characterization. I didn't think any in the poll fit either. The services (depending on the line) can be 4-5 star. Food's 3-4, depending on the cruise line

The entrees were not worth such nonsense. The Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (except for one night when it was cooked all the way through) was not something I was going to miss, though! (I even ate two of them one night. :o) According to others who tried the other desserts, none of them were worth anything. (My best friend always ordered a melting cake as well as another/other desserts 'cause she knew she'd have something to fall back on if/when the other desserts weren't good or edible.)

I agree about the WCMC, very, very good. I made it a point this last cruise to try the bitter and blanc since so many people liked it better than the WCMC and you know what? I couldn't even finish that desert. The bitter and blanc is nothing more than a very dry bread pudding with a small amount of dark and white pudding on it. Not good at all IMO.

Sorry' date=' dude, but any person who cannot find enough on a huge menu (like Carnival has for the dining room) to keep from being "hungry" is an extremely picky eater. You state that your group had no problems with "a run-down, local, Puerto Rican side-of-the-road outdoor food stand". Maybe you and your group have palates that are just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the finer points of cuisine? :confused:[/quote']

Again, she is not at all a picky eater. When a person doesn't get to eat a full meal, they can still be hungry. Has nothing to do with being picky or not. You can even eat a full meal and still be hungry.

While I don't know about every person in the group, I do know about my best friend and some others and we eat at ALL kinds of restaurants, both cheap (i.e. Denny's) and expensive. Most ppl eat at at least cheap and moderate restaurants. I mentioned the Puerto Rican place because the food was obviously not some great eatery but nobody was picky enough to not eat there, so nobody was picky enough to not eat the Carnival food.

Your posts invite incredibility.

My posts are just the pure truth, simple and plain. I have no reason to lie or exaggerate the truth nor would I.

If your Carnival food has been good, that is awesome and I hope our next cruise has food like that (different ship, so should be different chefs and crew). But the cruise week we were on just wasn't good and that's all there is to it.

My friend tried to eat the entrees she ordered and some of them were good, but some of them weren't good, didn't taste like they should, or were inedible.

The reason I don't count my food in these posts is because most of it was not off the menu, so I can't fairly compare it to the food they normally serve.

My posts are just the pure truth, simple and plain. I have no reason to lie or exaggerate the truth nor would I.

If your Carnival food has been good, that is awesome and I hope our next cruise has food like that (different ship, so should be different chefs and crew). But the cruise week we were on just wasn't good and that's all there is to it.

My friend tried to eat the entrees she ordered and some of them were good, but some of them weren't good, didn't taste like they should, or were inedible.

The reason I don't count my food in these posts is because most of it was not off the menu, so I can't fairly compare it to the food they normally serve.

In your own words,

My friend tried to eat the entrees she ordered and some of them were good, but some of them weren't good

That is a considerably different statement than they couldn't find anything to eat. A dinner menu that can be mixed and matched in ANY manner you wish and nothing could be eaten IS incredible.

In your own words,

My friend tried to eat the entrees she ordered and some of them were good, but some of them weren't good

That is a considerably different statement than they couldn't find anything to eat. A dinner menu that can be mixed and matched in ANY manner you wish and nothing could be eaten IS incredible.

Finish reading the sentence, where I DID say some of it was inedible. This is the same statement I have been saying all along.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that most of the group had cruised before. And my friend in question has been on over 100 cruises (various cruiselines, including NCL, RCCL, and Carnival [i don't know how many have been Carnival cruises, but her room keys were at the VIP check-in]). She knows Carnival's food and wait staff isn't normally like it was on our cruise.

Finish reading the sentence, where I DID say some of it was inedible. This is the same statement I have been saying all along.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that most of the group had cruised before. And my friend in question has been on over 100 cruises (various cruiselines, including NCL, RCCL, and Carnival [i don't know how many have been Carnival cruises, but her room keys were at the VIP check-in]). She knows Carnival's food and wait staff isn't normally like it was on our cruise.

From an earlier post by you.

fish) entree tasted like fish. While the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake was good on all except for one night (it was cooked all the way through that night), the other desserts were either pretty bad to not edible (many ppl in our group thought so). Other entrees were pretty bad - one night my friend even had to go to the Lido for a sandwich after dinner 'cause she was hungry after everything she ordered wasn't edible. I have to order special needs food, with only one entree and one appetizer all week right off the menu (the appetizer was not very good, the entree was good), but most of what I had wasn't good.

OK, you said "not edible," instead of inedible. If that is different, I stand corrected.

From an earlier post by you.

fish) entree tasted like fish. While the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake was good on all except for one night (it was cooked all the way through that night), the other desserts were either pretty bad to not edible (many ppl in our group thought so). Other entrees were pretty bad - one night my friend even had to go to the Lido for a sandwich after dinner 'cause she was hungry after everything she ordered wasn't edible. I have to order special needs food, with only one entree and one appetizer all week right off the menu (the appetizer was not very good, the entree was good), but most of what I had wasn't good.

OK, you said "not edible," instead of inedible. If that is different, I stand corrected.

The first red statement is about the desserts. That was every night. My friend ordered a large number of desserts, sometimes all of them, and she and at least one other person tasted them. (She always ordered one or two Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes as a back-up. And, no, she isn't fat; she's a thin ex-model. But not the anorexic/bulimic kind; she definitely knows and loves food.) Some of them were okay, some of them were bad.

The second statement is about one night where she had ordered several different entrees to try (in case some weren't good). None of them were good that night. She had dessert and then later went up to the Lido to eat something so she'd have energy to dance in the disco. I don't recall if that particular night had something actually inedible or not, but like you said, "not edible" isn't exactly the same as "inedible" and that night the entrees were at least not edible/didn't taste right/weren't good/were nasty/whatever they each were.

Her favorite appetizer was the shrimp, which she got every night, usually in addition to at least one other appetizer to try. (We had a LOT of plates on our table, LOL!! And I think our waiter thought it weird that a thin woman like her would be ordering so much food, haha. I think she danced it all off!)

The first red statement is about the desserts. That was every night. My friend ordered a large number of desserts, sometimes all of them, and she and at least one other person tasted them. (She always ordered one or two Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes as a back-up. And, no, she isn't fat; she's a thin ex-model. But not the anorexic/bulimic kind; she definitely knows and loves food.) Some of them were okay, some of them were bad.

The second statement is about one night where she had ordered several different entrees to try (in case some weren't good). None of them were good that night. She had dessert and then later went up to the Lido to eat something so she'd have energy to dance in the disco. I don't recall if that particular night had something actually inedible or not, but like you said, "not edible" isn't exactly the same as "inedible" and that night the entrees were at least not edible/didn't taste right/weren't good/were nasty/whatever they each were.

Her favorite appetizer was the shrimp, which she got every night, usually in addition to at least one other appetizer to try. (We had a LOT of plates on our table, LOL!! And I think our waiter thought it weird that a thin woman like her would be ordering so much food, haha. I think she danced it all off!)

Not edible and inedible ARE the same. I was being kind! [That ALWAYS bites me on the butt]

Archived