"The MDR can BEST be described as ..."  

537 members have voted

1. 1. "The MDR can BEST be described as ..."

• Ruth's Chris / Maggiano's
    • Cheesecake Factory / Brio / PFChang
    • Olive Garden / Red Lobster / Tony Roma
    • Applebee's / Friday's / Chili's
    • Denny's / Sizzler / Big Boy

As for the service, I think it can be hit or miss (MDR), sometime as good as a Ruth's or better, like when on longer cruises the wait staff knows you preferences and anticipates them, like they have your favorite drink waiting for you at the table before you arrive for dinner or they go out of there way to make your dinner better, like the last time we were cruising and waiter brought DS a plate of grapes and pizza 'cuse he knew DS liked them. This is really comparing apple and oranges, because the two types of dining experiences our so different, but MDR tries to be a high class, high service experience, where as I don't think a Cheesecake factory etc. tries to be that. Yes, the wait staff are dressed nice and the restaurant looks nice, but the service isn't the same and ownership doesn't pretend that it is going to be.

I have yet to be in a dimly lit MDR that was as nicely appointed as RC, nor had the respect of those dining in the room the way RC generally has. I will say the service is comparable, though it's w-a-y easier to get a bar waiter to get you a drink at RC.

The RC in downtown Toronto will get a car for you to go to the AC Centre to watch the hockey game and then be there to pick you up to go back for drinks afterwards. Amazing what money can get you (I wasn't footing the bill).

As for the service, I think it can be hit or miss (MDR), sometime as good as a Ruth's or better, like when on longer cruises the wait staff knows you preferences and anticipates them, like they have your favorite drink waiting for you at the table before you arrive for dinner or they go out of there way to make your dinner better, like the last time we were cruising and waiter brought DS a plate of grapes and pizza 'cuse he knew DS liked them. This is really comparing apple and oranges, because the two types of dining experiences our so different, but MDR tries to be a high class, high service experience, where as I don't think a Cheesecake factory etc. tries to be that. Yes, the wait staff are dressed nice and the restaurant looks nice, but the service isn't the same and ownership doesn't pretend that it is going to be.

Good points, Dommer. Yes, CCF makes no pretensions about being high-class. I do believe they are the "California Casual" place or something like that.

The RC in downtown Toronto will get a car for you to go to the AC Centre to watch the hockey game and then be there to pick you up to go back for drinks afterwards. Amazing what money can get you (I wasn't footing the bill).

Amazing what companies will pay for on corporate cards. ;)

Amazing what companies will pay for on corporate cards. ;)

Nice thing about a well run place like that is that they know why you're there, and where you're going. Get in, drink, eat, get out with 90 minutes without any nonsense.

Lol. This is a funny thread. My DH calls it the floating Golden Corral. Probably more for the buffets than the MDR.

I had to laugh when I saw this -- I had originally put Golden Corral in as a low-end choice but DW said that wasn't accurate since GC doesn't offer table service. She also felt that the Lido buffet was a better comparison for GC, even though we both think that Golden Corral is a bit better than the usual fare at the Lido buffet.

Just like getting a menu at a catered wedding sit down dinner.

Number 3 in my humble opinion. Not close to fine dinning when you prepare thousands of meals to be held and served over a period of a hour and a half.

I also wonder how many of today's cruisers had the experience of cruising 10 ... 15 ... 20 years ago, when the MDR actually WAS a high-end dining experience, complete with white-gloved waiters serving main courses from a silver platter -- who remember the days when the MDR served steakhouse/supper club quality meals EVERY night ... when the average cruiser wouldn't dream of stepping foot into the MDR wearing shorts, no matter how "dressy" they were.

I know those days are long gone ...

I think the food may have gone down because the people have gone down. who wants to wear white gloves serving people dressing like they are at pizza hut?

I think they feel that these people didn't appreciate good food so why should they try so hard?

I noticed that the waiters treat people differently. If you are dressed up you are treated with much more respect then if you are wearing shorts or jeans. Just my opinion on what I have observed.

I didn't vote since I don't know the first two and the applebees and Red Lobster and olive garden are way below my standard of good food.

I so wish that the dining room food were like Maggiano's. That is, without a doubt, my favorite Italian Restaurant. If anyone knows how they make their braciole, I would be sooooooooooooooo happy to get the recipe.

Anyway, I voted for number 3.

I picked the third choice. Although, I don't like Cheescake Factory, or Applebee's, or Olive Garden. We rarely eat at chain restaurants.

I never go hungry and like most everything in the MDR, but it is not the equivalent of going to a really nice restaurant. It really can't be. They do a great job, with as many people that they have to feed. At a nice restaurant your dinner is made to order, not the same.

Cheesecake Factory best describes the Carnival Dining I've had. I do not know Maggianos or Brio. I do think things vary from region to region and even within a town one location to another (same chain). When I left the Portland, Or area, I left a fairly new nice PF Changs and it was much nicer than an older one I had been in a few years prior in Socal (in both food and decor).

The Cheesecake Factory I was in was new and in an upscale Mall and what I would guess most dining at Carnival has in quality when one gets a good hit on the food and atmosphere in both places. They got good salmon from Alaska in the NW I think. No idea how they stock something like that across the country but their fish was always pretty good for that level.

"Wedding banquet" here was best description to me...hard to compare the unique mainstream ship scenario to anything. Carnival is good to me for what they do. Applebees in Oregon area was much better than the one here in Montana in the plain hamburger comparison..the meat was awful here...no excuse for that, especially here, but it happens far too often now.

I never go hungry and like most everything in the MDR, but it is not the equivalent of going to a really nice restaurant. It really can't be. They do a great job, with as many people that they have to feed. At a nice restaurant your dinner is made to order, not the same.

Exactly.:)

Hi, Everyone!

Now, with over 200 responses to the poll, the statistics have stabilized,so we can fairly say, "the results are in!"

Just under 20% of cruisers compare the MDR to Applebee's at BEST -- while the remaining 80% compared it to Olive Garden or BETTER.

Most surprising of all is that nearly 10% rank it in the fine dining category.

Now, I'm left wondering ... are we all eating on the same boat?

Hi, Everyone!

Now, with over 200 responses to the poll, the statistics have stabilized,so we can fairly say, "the results are in!"

Just under 20% of cruisers compare the MDR to Applebee's at BEST -- while the remaining 80% compared it to Olive Garden or BETTER.

Most surprising of all is that nearly 10% rank it in the fine dining category.

Now, I'm left wondering ... are we all eating on the same boat?

When you don't go to those places on a regular basis or have never been it seems great to them.

My question would be, if they thought the MDR is 5 star,what the pay restaurant,6 stars?

Steve

I love these threads.....I'm so flattered to be sailing with world class gourmets who would step into a chain restaurant!

In my opinion....anytime I've had "fine dining" (I live in NYC...I know fine dining) I come out hungry. Anytime I've gone to an Olive Garden etc, I come out feeling full. Based on my MDR experience, I have to vote "fine dining".

I love these threads.....I'm so flattered to be sailing with world class gourmets who would step into a chain restaurant!

In my opinion....anytime I've had "fine dining" (I live in NYC...I know fine dining) I come out hungry. Anytime I've gone to an Olive Garden etc, I come out feeling full. Based on my MDR experience, I have to vote "fine dining".

I definitely know what you mean about high end restaurants on land sometimes skimping on the quantity -- I've had entrees that provided less food than an appetizer -- but I'm a little confused about your vote.

Did you vote for fine dining based on the quality of the food in the MDR or that you left the MDR feeling hungry? A little bit of both??

I would certainly put the steakhouse/supper club in the fine dining category, — and the MDR a notch or two below that. But, no matter where I eat aboard a cruise ship, I never come out hungry -- usually the opposite is the case.

Hi, Everyone!

Recently on another thread, several posters challenged my characterization of the MDR as a 5-star restaurant — some described it as "Applebee's" — and others thought is was just basic banquet food.

So that got me wondering ... what restaurant on land would say is the best comparison for the MDR?

I've listed 5 levels of restaurants based solely on my personal experience. Feel free to agree, disagree or offer up a comparison of your own.

Cruise ship MDR's could be the 2nd choice or the 3 rd choice. Depending on the cruise. Each is different.

MDR's are banquet settings not Restaurant settings. As a banquet provider, they are terrific. As a restaurant, I'd say first you have to find a 4 or 5 star restaurant that serves as many meals per day as a cruise ship does. NONE DO! Most probably do not serve as many meals in a year as a ship does in a month, maybe a week! [20,000 per day!]

And the Steakhouse [for steaks only, as I cannot speak about other dishes] ranks very high. Just below the most famous [and expensive] Chop Houses, and as good as some.

I had to vote for the first option. It wasn't until I started reading other replies that I realized people were voting from two different perspectives. One was from the type and quality of the food (independent of the service, presentation, formality etc.), the other was from the perspective of service level/formality/ambiance/serving style/atmosphere.

I've never felt the need to put on a jacket and tie in a Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, Tony Roma, Red Lobster, Applebee's, Denny's, etc. While some do, I wouldn't walk into the MDR in shorts or jeans and I feel compelled to wear a jacket, or tie, or both on elegant nights.

Personally, I wish the MDR was more like a Tony Romas or an Outback Steakhouse. As it is currently, I'd probably opt out of the MDR if I could get a discount. It's way too formal and stuffy for me.

I had to vote for the first option. It wasn't until I started reading other replies that I realized people were voting from two different perspectives. One was from the type and quality of the food (independent of the service, presentation, formality etc.), the other was from the perspective of service level/formality/ambiance/serving style/atmosphere.

I've never felt the need to put on a jacket and tie in a Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, Tony Roma, Red Lobster, Applebee's, Denny's, etc. While some do, I wouldn't walk into the MDR in shorts or jeans and I feel compelled to wear a jacket, or tie, or both on elegant nights.

Personally, I wish the MDR was more like a Tony Romas or an Outback Steakhouse. As it is currently, I'd probably opt out of the MDR if I could get a discount. It's way too formal and stuffy for me.

That's an interesting thought to get a discount to opt out of the MDR. I know my wife would jump at that chance since she's not a big eater at dinner. She likes to eat at the steakhouse once or twice during the cruise, but otherwise get something quick and light at the lido the other nights -- truly she just wants some fruit. She feels like she "has to" go to the MDR since she's paid for it.

This is the best polling question I have seen. I voted for the third choice (Olive Garden), although have had some meals that approached choice two and choice four. So choice three is my average experience on all of my Carnival cruises.

In my opinion....anytime I've had "fine dining" (I live in NYC...I know fine dining) I come out hungry. .

I find, when being someplace that I feel is 'fine dining', the portions are smaller, but you are usually getting a 5 course meal...so you shouldn't be leaving hungry.

True fine dining is an experience that takes hours. The specialty restuarants on CCL ships are pretty much fine dining and I NEVER leave there hungry...in fact, I have skipped dessert a few times while dining in there.

Archived