Help needed/Excursions New England/Canada cruise

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING!!

My husband,myself,son and 12 year old grand daughter will be traveling Princess Caribbean , Aug 21. Looking to pre book Duck tour in Boston. Need specific directions to tour location from cruise port and where to pre book trip. Princess tour seems overpriced.

Newport RI, Plan on buying tickets at info counter. Would this work?

Halifax, Nova Scotia...Thought whale watching? Suggestions?

Bar Harbor, Maine...Oli's trolley?

St John, New Brunswick...Jet boat ride to reversing falls. Directions?

ANY HELP OR INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

We are on a different cruise but also go to Newport and Halifax. I contacted the Information Centers (via email) for both ports, and they sent me good maps and tourist guide booklets which were very helpful. It appears that both of these ports can be enjoyed without an excursion with a little planning. That being said, we did a whale excursion several years ago and love it! (Can't remember any details about whom to contact though.)

Wow! My first post and first reply! I took your suggestion and e-mailed for info. A few sites wouldn't send any brochures. Had to get them at info office. if you hear on any specific recommendations please let me know. ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

Our cruise last fall overlaps with yours only at Halifax, which was wonderful stop for us.

First of all, as I recall, there were genuinely helpful people posted right at the port at all our Canadian stops to provide you with information such as maps and directions. The Citidel and city are a pleasant walk from the port if you have no trouble walking uphill.

If you want to see Peggy's Cove, you need to join an excursion, rent a car, book one of the local tour buses (greyline?), or hire someone. We hired Jonathan at Your Cabs. If he is still available, that would be a great option for 4 people. We chose to just book a morning trip to Peggy's Cove, then he dropped us off at the Citidel where we walked around and slowly headed back to the Port, stopping when we wanted. It was a great day and we were very pleased with how we had planned it.

Our cruise last fall overlaps with yours only at Halifax, which was wonderful stop for us.

First of all, as I recall, there were genuinely helpful people posted right at the port at all our Canadian stops to provide you with information such as maps and directions. The Citidel and city are a pleasant walk from the port if you have no trouble walking uphill.

If you want to see Peggy's Cove, you need to join an excursion, rent a car, book one of the local tour buses (greyline?), or hire someone. We hired Jonathan at Your Cabs. If he is still available, that would be a great option for 4 people. We chose to just book a morning trip to Peggy's Cove, then he dropped us off at the Citidel where we walked around and slowly headed back to the Port, stopping when we wanted. It was a great day and we were very pleased with how we had planned it.

Jonathan is still at YourCabs, I will be booking with him for a Heritage tour in Halifax during my visit in July with my two granddaughters

My husband,myself,son and 12 year old grand daughter will be traveling Princess Caribbean , Aug 21. Looking to pre book Duck tour in Boston. Need specific directions to tour location from cruise port and where to pre book trip. Princess tour seems overpriced.

In Saint John, NB you buy tickets for the jet boat ride at the lighthouse on the boardwalk at Market Square. The boat leaves Fallsview Park - a 25-40 minute walk from Market Sq. depending on how fast you walk. All the info is here: http://www.jetboatrides.com

• 2 weeks later...
Jonathan is still at YourCabs, I will be booking with him for a Heritage tour in Halifax during my visit in July with my two granddaughters

Please post how this tour was. I want to take the same tour with my daughter in August on the Enchantment of the Seas.

Hi, We just booked this cruise for ourselves and our daughter(12) and a family friend. We live in New Hampshire and are very familiar with the area. It is easy to reach the Duck tours from public transportation. The duck tour begins at the Museum of Science which is a stop on the T. I think they have a web site. I have not discovered where the ship docks but it certainly will be within walking distance of Faneuil Hall and the Freedom Trail. I have not joined the thread for the cruise, but plan to this weekend. We have visited Bar Harbor and Newport in the past. Maybe the girls will meet in the kids' program.

Tobec

Oli's Trolley is good for Bar Harbor. Book the 2 1/2hr. tour because it includes the coastal drive. Very beautiful.

For Halifax, there are a number of private tour operators. Lots on CC about them. Their web sites show what tours they offer, but most of them will take you where ever you want to go.

For Newport, I guess you are talking about tickets for the mansions. Yes, I would buy them at the information center which is not far from the tender pier. I say this mainly because since this is a tender port and if the weather does not cooperate and you don't tender there, then you aren't stuck with non-refundable tickets. Google a map for the Gateway Visitor's Center, 23 Americas Cup Av.,Newport.

Did you know there is the Harbor Hopper in Halifax which is like the Duck Tour in Boston? Haven't done either, but thought if my kids were with us on a return trip, I would consider.

We very much enjoyed our Olli's Trolley tour. Also there are many shops/ice cream places in Bar Harbor that your grandaughter will enjoy.

Newport Mansion- We just bought our ticket at the door.

We personally would not have enjoyed touring more than one mansion in a day and enjoyed the walk along the cliff walk most.

We really enjoyed the Caribbean Princess too!

As previously mentioned, Halifax offers a 'Ride the Duck' tour. If you wish and you will be in port long enough, the Boston Aquarium offers an excellent whale watching excursion. We did Reversing Falls on our own when visiting St. John's. I can't remember the exact directions but I booked with the company offering the speed boat ride directly and then when we arrived at St. John we took a short taxi ride to the Falls. My family enjoyed the boat ride and there really isn't that much to do in St. John's (IMO). Doing Reversing Falls on our own was cheaper than taking the ship's excursion. If you are interested, I am certain that you can find the name of the company that offers the boat ride on the internet. Hope you have a great trip.

Lynda133,

Are you sailing on the August 12th sailing on the Enchantment? If so, please visit our roll call. It sounds like you are traveling with your daughter and we are bringing our DD 16 and DS 14.

To the other posters - thanks for all of your suggestions.

Tina

Archived