Which do you like better, SC 4180 or 5190 for May/Alaska Inside Passage?

Sailkeywest

Or maybe you like neither and like the starboard side of the boat? This is a dillemma that has me (w)racking my little brain, and it hurts!

ok, so here's a picture (courtesy of Joanie?) :

Westerdam-Aft-View-2.jpg

The 4180 is the lowest level aft-wrap suite, and 5190 is the fully covered one just above it. May supposedly has the least amount of rain that I know of, but thought 5190 might protect us from the elements (wind, rain, etc). Also, it would be a bit more private as other suites cannot look down upon you. However, 4180 is closest to the water for viewing of sealife?

Lastly, does anyone have any inside info on the dimensions of these suites/verandas? Thank you, as always, for any insight/opinions :)

I would definitely chose 5190 or 5191 first off this cabin Inside is slightly larger than 4180. Also the balcony is larger. If you are chosing this for Alaska the weather can be great but always expect Rain so the totall covered is ideal for the great views you will see in Alaska. To be there is no question that 5190 or 5191 is definitely the best!!!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's making me get really excited since we will be in 5191 on the Oosterdam starting Sunday! I would have chosen a cabin up a level or 2, but DH wanted the totally covered balcony. I think we will be happy with that choice since the forecast shows nothing but rain. I will take pictures for you, but I doubt that we'll take measurements. If you call HAL, and speak to someone who wants to help you, they can give you the specific dimensions.

I have 5191 booked on the Zuiderdam for Sept 2011 and was having the same dilemma.

I had 4185 on the Westerdam for a Caribbean cruise and we loved it, but I thought the weather may be iffy in September and I want to sit out on my deck in my PJ's with my morning coffee, even if it's pouring rain!

So I guess 5191 is the one this time! ;)

We just got off the Oosterdam 5/23 and were in SC4180. We had a group of 6 travelling and used the suite and veranda our entire trip. There is a little overhang that if it rains, you can use to help shelter -- but we were blessed with wonderful weather!

I would book 4180 again in a heartbeat (finances permitting) as I prefer the additional space outside

I have 5191 booked on the Zuiderdam for Sept 2011 and was having the same dilemma.

I had 4185 on the Westerdam for a Caribbean cruise and we loved it, but I thought the weather may be iffy in September and I want to sit out on my deck in my PJ's with my morning coffee, even if it's pouring rain!

So I guess 5191 is the one this time! ;)

Here is a link to some photos and a description of Zuiderdam's SC 5190, a mirror image of 5191. For all 4 of the Vista Class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, the stateroom layouts should be the same. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

Joanie

I would definitely chose 5190 or 5191 first off this cabin Inside is slightly larger than 4180. Also the balcony is larger. If you are chosing this for Alaska the weather can be great but always expect Rain so the totall covered is ideal for the great views you will see in Alaska. To be there is no question that 5190 or 5191 is definitely the best!!!

Actually, the verandah on the side of 4180 is several feet wider than those of the suites on the decks above. A lot of people choose the VD category cabins on deck 4 for that very reason.

This is obviously my opinion (and I have to respectfully disagree with Vegas), but we always choose deck 4 because we like the location better. You can look straight down on the water without worrying about looking onto someone else's verandah, and if you're a non-smoker, you don't have to worry about smoke wafting up from below. Also, deck 5's suite verandahs have support poles holding up the verandah above (you can see them in the picture) which can cause some obstruction of your view. However, Vegas is correct in that the cabin size of the suites on deck 5 are a bit larger than those on deck 4.

It's all a matter of what is most important to you, but you can rest assured you'll have a wonderful time regardless of which cabin you choose.

Actually, the verandah on the side of 4180 is several feet wider than those of the suites on the decks above. A lot of people choose the VD category cabins on deck 4 for that very reason.

This is obviously my opinion (and I have to respectfully disagree with Vegas), but we always choose deck 4 because we like the location better. You can look straight down on the water without worrying about looking onto someone else's verandah, and if you're a non-smoker, you don't have to worry about smoke wafting up from below. Also, deck 5's suite verandahs have support poles holding up the verandah above (you can see them in the picture) which can cause some obstruction of your view. However, Vegas is correct in that the cabin size of the suites on deck 5 are a bit larger than those on deck 4.

It's all a matter of what is most important to you, but you can rest assured you'll have a wonderful time regardless of which cabin you choose.

I have to disagree with you on the verandah size. Trust me I know the Oosterdam better than any ship and have stayed in the cabin that is now 5191 at least 6 time. The balcony deck on deck 5 is much larger than the deck on 4, it is only on the Signature Class ship and the Noordam that deck 4 is larger. While they may be larger on the side the balcony itself is much larger on 5, the sides are basically not usable when the ship is moving.

When they did the remodel and added cabins deck 5 was totally untouched with the exception of covering the verandah. Deck 5 prior was always the largest balconies.

Look at the picture above it is extremely obvious that the deck 5 balcony is larger from the door of the cabin to the railing.

However, 4180 is closest to the water for viewing of sealife?
I don't think that 1 deck difference would change your view significantly, and would omit that from consideration in your decision.

I have to disagree with you on the verandah size. Trust me I know the Oosterdam better than any ship and have stayed in the cabin that is now 5191 at least 6 time. The balcony deck on deck 5 is much larger than the deck on 4, it is only on the Signature Class ship and the Noordam that deck 4 is larger. While they may be larger on the side the balcony itself is much larger on 5, the sides are basically not usable when the ship is moving.

When they did the remodel and added cabins deck 5 was totally untouched with the exception of covering the verandah. Deck 5 prior was always the largest balconies.

Look at the picture above it is extremely obvious that the deck 5 balcony is larger from the door of the cabin to the railing.

As I very clearly said in my post, this was my opinion, and my opinion only. I never said the entire verandah was larger; I only said the side part of the verandah is. I was disagreeing with you regarding cabin preference, not verandah size. I prefer deck 4; you prefer deck 5. I have never had a problem using the side verandah when the ship is in motion; you obviously have. And no, I've only been on the Oosterdam once, so I cannot compete with your expertise regarding that ship. Obviously my opinion cannot compete with yours either. Hopefully the OP will be able to take both our opinions and figure out for himself or herself what they're looking for in a cabin and verandah.

She beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say.

This year has been unseasonably wet so far so I would recommend 5190 (or even 5191) so you can ALWAYS get enjoyment out of your balcony

You all have given me so much insight to think about, thank you all for all the well thought out replies! TY Joanie, for offering the pics, but I already keep your site open on my pc constantly and they are the last thing I look at before sleep each night :)

Good point about the smoking, Tahoe, that is a definite consideration to us. The support poles would be a tad annoying to us, but if it keeps us dry from the rain, so be it lol :)

Good to know also that 5190 is slightly larger, Vegas. I have been searching for that info for some time and HAL always says they don't have the measurements when I call! (and I am very polite when I ask :P) You obviously know a lot about these ships!

Ladylala, everyone that has been in 4180 that I have either read from forums or written to (ty PolarBearMom) has a special fondness for that suite! That direct view of the wake must be something :)

Jam82, ty for offering to take lots of pics, I'm sure a great deal of people (myself included) would just love to see them! I know for myself, I never tire of looking at new cruise photos :)

And Lishka, for September, I think that you definitely made the right choice. September is rainy, but beautiful :)

JT513 -- I hope you are right! Tracie, thanks for your vote, I really was looking for opinions on which people in general would choose.

Last, but definitely not least, Dutch By Association! I think that you are just about the end all be all around here, so ty for taking the time to reply to my thread :) I think that I will stick to my first instincts and stay on deck 5 (until I see more pics from people on deck 4 and I will immediately start daydreaming about deck 4 again :P) Btw, do you know if when the ship is coming back down, that you get similar views to what 5191 had going up? If that makes any sense :S

P.S That is waaaay too many smiley faces! Nobody can possibly be that happy :P

Sailkeywest -

My mother & I just returned from a 7-day a couple of weeks ago. We were in SC-5191 on the starboard side. We were very impressed with the verandah, and I don't think we would have changed a thing. We had very little drizzle at times, (in fact the only rain we got was in Juneau, our other ports were sunny the whole time), but the complete coverage over the verandah was welcome.

We liked the privacy it gave us from above. It was weird looking down to deck 4 and seeing those passengers outside on their verandah, but we could take a couple of steps back and still see everything, without feeling like we were 'watching' the folks below us.

Here's some pics from our cruise - http://www.flickr.com/photos/madbullogna/collections/72157624097325406/

If you check out "Seattle" you will see some verandah pics. Everything under the Glacier Bay cruising album was taken from our Verandah, we never even left the comfort of our little space. We were more than pleased witht he view that we were able to obtain.

As far as space - I can't find my notes right now, but to the best of my recollection, there is more 'living space' on the lower SC decks.

SC 4180 & SC 4185 --> approx 372sq ft

SC 5190 & SC 5191 --> approx 342sq ft

SC 6166 & SC 6177 --> approx 322sq ft

(I may be off a few, as that is from memory. We were told by the onboard booking folks on the O that those measurements were the same as the equivelant rooms/decks to the Nieuw Amsterdam. They could not provide us verandah dimensions however.)

Bottom line - We loved SC 5191. The only reason we're taking SC 4183 on our cruise next year is that we would like the extra 30sq ft since we will have an extra 10 days of cruising. (And since all but the SB aft cabins up on the Nav deck are a more 'open' design, we will have a more exposed verandah regardless of the deck so we picked the most living space).

Sailkeywest -

My mother & I just returned from a 7-day a couple of weeks ago. We were in SC-5191 on the starboard side. We were very impressed with the verandah, and I don't think we would have changed a thing. We had very little drizzle at times, (in fact the only rain we got was in Juneau, our other ports were sunny the whole time), but the complete coverage over the verandah was welcome.

We liked the privacy it gave us from above. It was weird looking down to deck 4 and seeing those passengers outside on their verandah, but we could take a couple of steps back and still see everything, without feeling like we were 'watching' the folks below us.

Here's some pics from our cruise - http://www.flickr.com/photos/madbullogna/collections/72157624097325406/

If you check out "Seattle" you will see some verandah pics. Everything under the Glacier Bay cruising album was taken from our Verandah, we never even left the comfort of our little space. We were more than pleased witht he view that we were able to obtain.

As far as space - I can't find my notes right now, but to the best of my recollection, there is more 'living space' on the lower SC decks.

(I may be off a few, as that is from memory. We were told by the onboard booking folks on the O that those measurements were the same as the equivelant rooms/decks to the Nieuw Amsterdam. They could not provide us verandah dimensions however.)

Bottom line - We loved SC 5191. The only reason we're taking SC 4183 on our cruise next year is that we would like the extra 30sq ft since we will have an extra 10 days of cruising. (And since all but the SB aft cabins up on the Nav deck are a more 'open' design, we will have a more exposed verandah regardless of the deck so we picked the most living space).

GREAT PHOTOS!!!! May I use the stateroom photos for the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Oosterdam Page?? I will blank out faces.

Joanie

GREAT PHOTOS!!!! May I use the stateroom photos for the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Oosterdam Page?? I will blank out faces.

Joanie

Sure thing, anything to help out. I believe there are some random stateroom pics in some of the other folders as well, just take whatever you think would be useful. :D

Sure thing, anything to help out. I believe there are some random stateroom pics in some of the other folders as well, just take whatever you think would be useful. :D

Thank You So VERY MUCH!!! I am on my way there now. I will also use your descriptions from there:)

Joanie

Sailkeywest -

Thank you so much for posting your photos.:) We sail in SC5191 this Sept . Your images, especially those of the balcony, have added to our excitement and absolutely reassured me there is no question we have made the right cabin selection.

To view the Alaskan scenery from this vantage,with shelter if necessary and complete privacy,will be.a dream come true.:)

Once again thank you so much.!

Colleen

Thank you for the photos, madbullogna, they were lovely. I just never tire of seeing other's cruise photos :) Glad to know that the complete coverage of the 5191 deck was appreciated even though there was "only a little drizzle."

• 2 months later...

Archived