Baltic packing confusion

Hi all :-) I am a seasoned cruiser, but have always traveled to tropical locales. In July we are going to the Baltic (on the Star Princess out of Copenhagen). I can pack in a blink for the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, but am a little stumped here. I am looking at packing capris and one pair of jeans in case of rain or whatever, for shore excursions. I figured not shorts - too uncomfortable & not appropriate at holy sites, and jeans just as a back up - too warm and bulky for July, perhaps. Now I'm starting to worry that capris won't be appropriate. My plan was to dress in tees and capris and layer as needed (taking my windbreaker with me each time).

Does anyone have any input here? I'd appreciate your thoughts so much!

We visited the Baltics last July....it is hard to pack for this cruise!

We had a huge range of weather ...hot , sunny day in Stockholm (wore "walking" shorts and sandals with sleeveless tee and light cardigan) and cold , rainy weather in the low 40s when we were in St. Petersburg.

The key is a good trench , some nice cardigans or light sweaters and some nice "tissue" tees (fine cotton). I took a classic black , short trench coat as well as a longer plaid broadcloth coat. Lots of skinny trouser with the cardigans and tees and a few cute dresses for the warmer days ...that´s about it. I love wraps and scarfs , so took a lot of them to accessorize.

Have fun , it is a wonderful region!

Kim

I was in St. Petersburg in June and it was quite warm -- low 80s. So be prepared for anything! I think capris are an excellent choice as even if it's cool, so long as you have layers for the top (Ts and sweaters), it's only your lower legs that are exposed and unless it's some freak day before freezing, you'll be fine -- denim or twill (i.e., not a light cotton fabric) would be a good choice. And bearing in mind that a/c in Russia and Copenhagen is hit-or-miss; I'd always choose to err on the side of dressing light as I hate to be hot indoors.

Oh, addressing the appropriate question: when we toured the Cathedral in Petersburg, I was actually wearing either denim capris or a slight-above-the-knee skirt (can't remember which). You can wear capris in any church in northern Europe (they're what I lived in, that and skirts, when I lived in Russia) and only the most conservative in Russia demanded we cover our shoulders and head -- and none of those were in Petersburg.

Archived