Chess Tournaments on HAL ships

I'm a first time HAL cruiser(really 1st time any line cruiser)I've heard that some HAL ships have chess tournaments with some having healthy turnouts. Anyone here play in one? What are they like? Time controls? Entrance fees , prizes etc??
I've never seen one in 10 HAL cruises. I expect those are charters, or at least large affinity group bookings.

I have never seen chess tournament in 28 cruises since 1987.

Maybe something you should try and start on board

I saw it posted on the Oosterdam daily activity log/menu thread, so it might have already been recently suggested. I will be sure to show up and show support for the idea if my Rotterdam cruise has one.

No organised chess indeed. But on one of the cruises a gentleman was sitting with a chessboard in one of the lounges. My husband asked him about it and the guy said he was looking for people to play with him.

So both of them played a few times during the cruise.

On Celebrity someone posted the request for chesspartners in the section with various games, which again worked out nice.

PS - Je maintiendrai - I suppose you are dutch by origin ?

No organised chess indeed. But on one of the cruises a gentleman was sitting with a chessboard in one of the lounges. My husband asked him about it and the guy said he was looking for people to play with him.

So both of them played a few times during the cruise.

On Celebrity someone posted the request for chesspartners in the section with various games, which again worked out nice.

PS - Je maintiendrai - I suppose you are dutch by origin ?

Im not Dutch. I joined CC after I booked our HAL cruise, so when prompted for a nick 'Je Maintiendrai' came to mind. I can think of no other term that could best describe the 3, Holland, America and my journey in life.

For those who don't know the connect between the OP's screen name and the country of The Netherlands or Holland:

512px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

The Dutch coat of arms has the motto "Je Maintiendrai" on it which is French for "I will maintain" (the one shown above is actually the personal coat of arms of the Dutch monarch, at this time Queen Beatrix, godmother of ms Eurodam plus former HAL ships Statendam IV & Princes Margriet)

For those who don't know the connect between the OP's screen name and the country of The Netherlands or Holland:

512px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

The Dutch coat of arms has the motto "Je Maintiendrai" on it which is French for "I will maintain" (the one shown above is actually the personal coat of arms of the Dutch monarch, at this time Queen Beatrix, godmother of ms Eurodam plus former HAL ships Statendam IV & Princes Margriet)

And the upcoming event in Venice of the Nieuw Amsterdam by Princess M

Maxima.

Indeed, that is why I thought about the dutch connection.

There are many ways this nick can be understood, and at so many levels. Whether the passport stamp, the coat of arms, or possibly a motto for a long cruise in an inside cabin.

However, I meant it as a reminder of William the Silent whose legacy shaped both Church and State in so many positive ways.

Archived