Help with Athens tour

cruisinisforme

I have a decent size group going with me, probably between 16 - 20 people. I am trying to decide if we should do a half day tour and then leave time for ourselves to wander around

or a full day tour which includes lunch and some shopping.

I was thinking with a large group it might be better to keep everyone together but I wanted to get some opinions from those who have been there. Thanks

Trying to arrange anything for a group can be a big hassle. One wants to go to the museum, one wants to go to the Olympic stadium, one wants to climb the hill, one walks with a cane and slows it all down ...

IF you can design a tour that pleases all the members of your group and takes in to consideration their abilities, then power to you! But in honest fact the idea of all doing the major attractions together and then having some free time in the afternoon works well.

From the Plaka area near the Acropolis it is pretty easy to take the Metro to any of the other popular places in the city. Maybe you could arrange a tour of the Acropolis for the whole group, lunch, and then split up.

We love Paul or Nick at GreekTaxi. I am sure they could arrange a great day for you.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html and at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

What kind of group is this? A big family, or an affinity group of some kind? Are you the tour organizer, or did you just fall into this?

People like a bit of time for themselves, but it's nice to point them in a direction for their wander, not just leave them. Is this pre-cruise, or part of a larger land tour?

If it's a one day port stop, and the private driver is picking you up in Piraeus, I would go with the full day tour because you are going to need the return ride.

I would probably also arrange for a guide .. that way if there are some in the group who haven't researched, or don't have guide book material with them, they won't be in a fog during the sightseeing, and your time at the sites will be more efficient. (It's easy to work from a guide book with a few people, but difficult with a crowd).

Since your Acropolis ticket includes admission to other sites, I would put a few of those sites on the tour, e.g. Temple of Zeus, Roman Forum, Ancient Agora.

A trip up Lykabettus Hill would also be worthwhile (if it's not cloudy).

Some people will want more shopping/free time than others, so, after lunch, I would probably have at least 1 hour slotted for free time, but give the option to those wanting more free time to choose between an extra hour of free time or a stop at one of the sites (e.g. Ancient Agora, or Acropolis Museum). Those choosing to stay with the driver/guide to visit another site can meet up with the 'free-time' group at a designated time/place.

The group is all friends, we have travelled together before and all get along well, not a tour organized, just a planner and like i said we all get along well so its not a problem. I was just thinking that if we did a half day tour and we split up then everyone would have to figure out how to make there way around. If we did the full day tour and made arrangements it would be easier for everyone. I definitely want a guide, have been in touch with a couple of tour operators and have narrowed it down to one, just have to narrow down the exact excursion. At this point though I am leaning towards the full day tour

Our group did Athens exactly two weeks ago today. We had a private driver and were able to customize our tour as well as see all the main sites. I have a review posted here under Celebrity Equinox - Eastern Med. You can refer to it for specifics. I think you will make the most of your limited time in Athens with a private driver who can zip in and out of the traffic.

Archived