Any news about next Iceland Volcano,the big one?

Just saw on Drudge report that the big one,next to one that already blew is showing signs of erupting.....wow,,,what a mess....plan to fly to Europe June 23 and not able to get insurance for this after April 15th....so will really be out of luck....have tried numerous companies and they determine if volcano STILL erupting,etc....will NOT cover known event,when pressed for direct answer....

My cruise line will not offer refunds, so I m really praying it goes well.

Any new from that area of world??

Should have gotten "cancel for any reason" but too late now,,,then you have to give 2 or3 days notice ahead of time....so no help if it blows right before,,yikes....this could be a BIG mess.,for a LOT of people.....

Lets all pray to the Volcano God, or Mother Nature for a break?{!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Just saw on Drudge report that the big one,next to one that already blew is showing signs of erupting.....wow,,,what a mess....plan to fly to Europe June 23 and not able to get insurance for this after April 15th....so will really be out of luck....have tried numerous companies and they determine if volcano STILL erupting,etc....will NOT cover known event,when pressed for direct answer....

My cruise line will not offer refunds, so I m really praying it goes well.

Any new from that area of world??

Should have gotten "cancel for any reason" but too late now,,,then you have to give 2 or3 days notice ahead of time....so no help if it blows right before,,yikes....this could be a BIG mess.,for a LOT of people.....

Lets all pray to the Volcano God, or Mother Nature for a break?{!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Appreciate your posting this info. From MSNBC on Thursday morning, they did have this headline: "2nd Iceland volcano issues warning" with these highlights: "A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned. Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla. Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson has warned governments around Europe that a significant eruption at the volcano is close. 'We [iceland] have prepared ... it is high time for European governments and airline authorities all over Europe and the world to start planning for the eventual Katla eruption,' he said."

From the Scottish Daily Record today, they have this headline: "Ash cloud chaos could return as second volcano gets ready to erupt" with these highlights: "SCIENTISTS have warned of further ash cloud chaos - as a second Icelandic volcano gets set to blow its top. Katla, which translates as the kettle, has a crater three times as big as the Eyjafjallajokull volcano . . . ."

It's hard to know now what will or won't happen. Fortunately for our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords cruise from Copenhagen, we're covered on our insurance. Good luck. We'll wait and see how this impacts us cruisers.

Full stories at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/world_news-europe

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2010/05/29/ash-cloud-chaos-could-return-as-second-volcano-gets-ready-to-erupt-86908-22294598/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

You might enjoy this link:

http://www.gcmap.com/

You enter your airport of departure for Europe and your arrival city in Europe and the map depicts the "Great Circle" route. While the map doesn't show "no fly zones" and such it will depict a close approximation of the least air miles route for your airline.

Greg

You might enjoy this link:

http://www.gcmap.com/

You enter your airport of departure for Europe and your arrival city in Europe and the map depicts the "Great Circle" route. While the map doesn't show "no fly zones" and such it will depict a close approximation of the least air miles route for your airline.

Another "fun" map to plot from this site is the ETOPS map for your aircraft, or Engines Turn On or Passengers Swim. You never know with the volcano ash clouds...:rolleyes:

You may want to check into insurance as some companies are covering potential ash problems. We have two policies... one came with the booking and one cancel for any reason, but neither covers the ash issue because they were purchased after April 15 (I believe that's the date) and before May 5 or something like that. Policies bought after that date with many of the major insurers include coverage for ash. I've thought of buying a third policy...

My husband has been following the big volcano closely and the scientists are definitely saying it will erupt, but aren't giving a time frame as to when it will be. There is some speculation that if and when it erupts that it will erupt sideways kind of like Mount St. Helen's. I really thought I wouldn't mind being stuck in Europe as long as we could have our trip, but now I'm not sure about that.

You may want to check into insurance as some companies are covering potential ash problems. We have two policies... one came with the booking and one cancel for any reason, but neither covers the ash issue because they were purchased after April 15 (I believe that's the date) and before May 5 or something like that. Policies bought after that date with many of the major insurers include coverage for ash. I've thought of buying a third policy... My husband has been following the big volcano closely and the scientists are definitely saying it will erupt, but aren't giving a time frame as to when it will be. There is some speculation that if and when it erupts that it will erupt sideways kind of like Mount St. Helen's. I really thought I wouldn't mind being stuck in Europe as long as we could have our trip, but now I'm not sure about that.

This is a hard story to report and know for certain. The good news is that the "officials", who ever they are, have learned much from the first mass, six-day closing. That was an over-reaction by the government officials, not based on "real science".

IF, there is another major volcano eruption, they will be more selective in what's done, where and how. Like life, we'll need to adjust and hopefully things will all work out. Fortunately, we're covered on our insurance. Plus, we'll be watching things closely in late June and we will be ready to move with the air folks on making some added/different arrangements, if needed. Keep positive, it will all work out.

I followed your suggestion and WAS able to get insurance for the possible NEW volcano,,,,but, read contract and not specified as agent said,,,called an "internal memo" and couldn t send copy....just not a "known event" yet,so covered under trip cancellation or interuption...still not convinced they won t try to avoid coverage,but will take my chances to cover cruise portion,at least.....can always fight it later,but hope to take this cruise in 3 wks......THANKS....:D I live in Florida, so now can "worry" about hurricanes, oil slicks,etc....hahaha,,,,plus leaving my dog and 2 cats for 2 wks,,,boo hoo.....:(

I followed your suggestion and WAS able to get insurance for the possible NEW volcano,,,,but, read contract and not specified as agent said,,,called an "internal memo" and couldn t send copy....just not a "known event" yet,so covered under trip cancellation or interuption...still not convinced they won t try to avoid coverage,but will take my chances to cover cruise portion,at least.....can always fight it later,but hope to take this cruise in 3 wks......THANKS....:D I live in Florida, so now can "worry" about hurricanes, oil slicks,etc....hahaha,,,,plus leaving my dog and 2 cats for 2 wks,,,boo hoo.....:(

Glad you got your insurance! We had to hassle with our company on the coverage, but got things solved. Keep plugging. Lots to worry about and in most cases things all come together at the end point.

We too are planning (hoping) to fly to London on June 23. Fortunately, we purchased our insurance prior to the first eruption; but even if there was full financial coverage I would still be woefully unhappy :( about the trip being cancelled.

Three points;

First science can not accurately predict when these things will go. They did not predict the first one and have predicted others that never happened.

Second they learned alot from their over reaction to the first one and are much better prepared to deal with a second one. I don't think you will see anywhere near the canceled flight you did in the first case.

Third, only worry about things you can control and a volvano is not one of them :D.

Kirk

We too are planning (hoping) to fly to London on June 23. Fortunately, we purchased our insurance prior to the first eruption; but even if there was full financial coverage I would still be woefully unhappy :( about the trip being cancelled.

It will all work out fine for both of us in getting there in later June. That's my prediction!!! As noted earlier, they have learned much from the airport closings and that over-reaction in April. The cruises were not messed up by the volcano activities then.

Second they learned alot from their over reaction to the first one ...
As noted earlier, they have learned much from the airport closings and that over-reaction in April.
It wasn't an "over-reaction". Aviation has become as safe as it has because there are numerous rules in place that must be adhered to. The airspace closures were strictly in accordance with the rules in force at the time, and the damage sustained by a number of aircraft during this eruption shows that there are some very real risks.

There has been work going on over the last few years to re-write the rules by identifying an ash concentration through which it is safe to fly. The work had been going very slowly, largely because the industry had rather more important things to worry about. But the effect of this volcano meant that this suddenly became extremely urgent. And the rules have now been re-written, so that the impact of any future eruption ought to be much less. Not eliminated, as the most recent round of closures under the new rules demonstrated, but much less than in April.

It wasn't an "over-reaction". Aviation has become as safe as it has because there are numerous rules in place that must be adhered to. The airspace closures were strictly in accordance with the rules in force at the time, and the damage sustained by a number of aircraft during this eruption shows that there are some very real risks.

There has been work going on over the last few years to re-write the rules by identifying an ash concentration through which it is safe to fly. The work had been going very slowly, largely because the industry had rather more important things to worry about. But the effect of this volcano meant that this suddenly became extremely urgent. And the rules have now been re-written, so that the impact of any future eruption ought to be much less. Not eliminated, as the most recent round of closures under the new rules demonstrated, but much less than in April.

The airlines and the governments invloved have admitted they over-reacted, there words, not mine ;).

Kirk

All of the "reports" are from blogs and wacko sites. Wait for the Icelandic Met office to state there is an erruption that is imminent. My personal fav is that Katla is going to errupt and Jesus is coming. Maybe on our cruise?

All of the "reports" are from blogs and wacko sites. Wait for the Icelandic Met office to state there is an erruption that is imminent. My personal fav is that Katla is going to errupt and Jesus is coming. Maybe on our cruise?

It is more than just reports from "blogs and wacko sites". Part of the original reporting was based on comments from the top officials from Iceland. Here is the latest from there. From the Iceland Review today, they have this headline: "Iceland Volcano Still Monitored" with these highlights: "It is possible that new magma broke through to the surface of Eyjafjallajökull on Friday evening. Increased volcanic activity was registered and a black plume extended from the glacier’s summit. Scientists continue to monitor the volcano and have yet to officially declare the eruption to be over."

They also note that it is not a big event and the officials "must keep a watchful eye on the volcano.” Clearly the volcano "unrest" has subsided and now only steam is rising out of the crater. Nothing to panic on, for now. Let's hope it to stay that way.

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=363439

Whatever, I read an article that said what I said. It is not important enough for me to search the net and find it. Just watch, when another event like this happens there will not be a total shutdown, it will be FAR more selective.

Kirk

Just watch, when another event like this happens there will not be a total shutdown, it will be FAR more selective.
That will be for the reasons that I gave earlier, not because of anything that can properly be termed an "over-reaction".

Archived