Non Suite Guest using Suite Facilites

GigCrusier

Should family and Friends of Guest in Suites be allowed suite benefits?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Should family and Friends of Guest in Suites be allowed suite benefits?

• Should non-suite guest be allowed Court yard benefits?
    • Sould non-Suite guest be allowed dining benefits?
    • Should non-Suite Guest found in the Court yard have to walk the plank?
    • Should non-suite guest eating at Cagneys have to wash dishes the remainder of the cruise?

Mini-suites are not entitled to the perks. The question involves the booking of an adjoining AF to an AB as an "extension" of the AB. Should the two AF guests have booked an AB instead and thus prevented 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 other possible guests from benefiting from an AB? I understand this is a bit similar to the MIL example someone posted earlier, and I'm a bit wishy-washy on that one. (Don't get me wrong, I understand the hardline, rules-are-rules, no exceptions, you-get-what-you-pay-for position.)

Mini-suites are not entitled to the perks. The question involves the booking of an adjoining AF to an AB as an "extension" of the AB. Should the two AF guests have booked an AB instead and thus prevented 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 other possible guests from benefiting from an AB? I understand this is a bit similar to the MIL example someone posted earlier, and I'm a bit wishy-washy on that one. (Don't get me wrong, I understand the hardline, rules-are-rules, no exceptions, you-get-what-you-pay-for position.)

I get what you are saying here. However, why is the AF and extension of the AB? Why isn't the AB and extension of the AF? That would put both cabins in the Mini-suite group and no perks would be needed.

Obviously, you can see how unfair that would be...and the same is true in reverse.

Moving that line so non-qualified guests can get perks cheapens the benefits to EVERY guest that paid for them.

Using the AB/AF example....I may have wanted to stay in an AF, but I also want the perks. In order to get the perks, I pay more money and book an AC instead. Now I get the perks that I paid for. It would be upsetting and unfair then for other people in an AF to get the perks that I just paid for for FREE just because they are friends/family of the people in the AB next door.

However...and this is key...if NCL decides to grant perks to the people in the AF, then that is NCL's business to do so. And while they can grant the perks, the guest cannot.

It should never be assumed that a perk will be extended to someone who hasn't paid for it. It should also never be assumed that because a perk was extended in one instance that it will be extended in a similar instance.

If having the perk is really of any importance, the guest should ensure receipt by simply paying for the appropriate cabin type. Better to know what you are getting than to be disappointed by assuming.

It should never be assumed that a perk will be extended to someone who hasn't paid for it. It should also never be assumed that because a perk was extended in one instance that it will be extended in a similar instance.

I think that you have hit the nail right on the head. ONLY suite customers are ENTITLED to SUITE perks but others (at the discretion of NCL) may or MAY NOT get them depending on NCL.

This is the thing...and why I am not sure about SOP.

When we were on the Dawn, one of our CC group members had a suite. Part of her privelege to the suite was to invite one guest each (her and her DH) to breakfast or lunch @ Cagney's every day.

When entering Cagney's her name was checked off a list and her guest was permitted to go in with her.

I thought (because like I said, I have never had a suite and like JD, probably never will barring some miracle LOL!) that people in suites all had this privelege...to invite a guest (one, not a dozen)

So, I don't understand all the fuss.

Was this just something that only occurs on The Dawn??? :confused:

Was this something that only occurred on that Dawn during THAT sailing???:confused:

Does anyone even know? :confused:

Question -- were you cruising solo? Last time I did a cruise by myself the concierge kept urging me to invite a friend to join me. Maybe he felt sorrry for me, I don't know. But I was perfectly fine eating in Cagney's by myself, etc. But the concierge has the ability to permit it. A lot depends on how busy Cagney's is, etc.

I booked a GV on the Dawn for June 2011. It will be my immediate family, spouse, son (15), and daughter (10). I invited by brother, his wife, and one year old daughter for the third bedroom. Therefore, the villa is full.

My brother asks if I would mind if he paid for his mother in law to also go so she could babysit. He was not asking for suite amenities and he would be paying for her in a smaller, possibly inside cabin. He just wanted to make sure I would not mind that he was inviting and paying for a family member of his when I was paying for his immediate family to stay in the GV. I said no problem.

I would like the MIL to have breakfast and lunch with us at Cagney's. Is that so wrong?. I am not talking about inviting my 50 closest friends. There is no courtyard on the dawn but if I was on another ship, I would welcome opinions of whether the MIL should be allowed in the courtyard to babysit.

If I take it to a logical extreme, my one year old niece could have Cagney's delivered to the GV for two (MIL and niece) while we eat 1 deck below.

BTW, I did not even know about the perks when I booked. I wanted to spend time with my brother and my wife likes the sun. With deck chair hogging, I thought the 15th deck would be great.

The way I look at it, suites don't mean you own the ship and can make your own rules. It means you are lucky enough to have the means to pay for a trip of a lifetime. Use it, don't abuse.

The trip is 6/3 on the Dawn out of Boston. I miss Boston. Been 21 years since I left.

Everyone can use "logic" to get around rules. The rules state that the suite guests are the ones entitled to the suite amenities. The concierge may approve this and then again he/she may not. When we have had Garden Villas we had the non-suite people join us for breakfast in the GV if they wanted. The butler has been totally fine with bringing whatever we ordered. We talked to him before doing this everytime. A few times we were told yes about one family member joining us in Cagneys for lunch and other times no. You can't count on it because they are not suite occupants -- even if you are in a GV. (Same with the AB adjoining AF -- it is not a given that they will be given the same amenities, per the rules they are not suite residents.) Usually they can join you for the show seatings, priority tendering and that type of thing.

Everyone can use "logic" to get around rules. The rules state that the suite guests are the ones entitled to the suite amenities. The concierge may approve this and then again he/she may not. When we have had Garden Villas we had the non-suite people join us for breakfast in the GV if they wanted. The butler has been totally fine with bringing whatever we ordered. We talked to him before doing this everytime. A few times we were told yes about one family member joining us in Cagneys for lunch and other times no. You can't count on it because they are not suite occupants -- even if you are in a GV. (Same with the AB adjoining AF -- it is not a given that they will be given the same amenities, per the rules they are not suite residents.) Usually they can join you for the show seatings, priority tendering and that type of thing.

We're booked in the GV on Star's June 5 sailing to Alaska. We've got 10 people in our party, so that required that my in-laws purchase accommodations outside the GV. I called NCL to discuss having my in-laws join us for Cagney's at breakfast and lunch, as I didn't wish for them to eat separately from the rest of the family. I was told that this was acceptable to NCL, but I guess we'll see.

I do understand folks' points about protecting the perks that come with certain suites. At the same time, the idea of 8 of us eating at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, while my in-laws do not, doesn't seem all that wonderful to me.

We're booked in the GV on Star's June 5 sailing to Alaska. We've got 10 people in our party, so that required that my in-laws purchase accommodations outside the GV. I called NCL to discuss having my in-laws join us for Cagney's at breakfast and lunch, as I didn't wish for them to eat separately from the rest of the family. I was told that this was acceptable to NCL, but I guess we'll see.

I do understand folks' points about protecting the perks that come with certain suites. At the same time, the idea of 8 of us eating at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, while my in-laws do not, doesn't seem all that wonderful to me.

I think that may depend on your in-laws....it may in fact be wonderful! :eek: :p

Question -- were you cruising solo? Last time I did a cruise by myself the concierge kept urging me to invite a friend to join me. Maybe he felt sorrry for me, I don't know. But I was perfectly fine eating in Cagney's by myself, etc. But the concierge has the ability to permit it. A lot depends on how busy Cagney's is, etc.

No.. (although that is a great question) We (my DH and I) cruised with a huge CC group on the Dawn repo last Nov.

There was no 'pity' invloved here.

This was my first experience being invited to join a suite guest at Cagney's....I assumed that this was the way it worked; Suite guests were able to bring one non suite guest to join them at Cagney's for lunch and dinner...meaning one guest each. This couple brought a couple different members to a lunch/or dinner throughout the two week cruise.

In this circumstance, I did not accept the invitation...others in the roll call did.

That is why I am baffled....having had no other experience with suites or their perks, I assumed this was standard for suite guests...but it seems it isn't from the posts on this thread. :confused:

Although I'm still not clear on that at all....maybe it does depend on the specific HD????

{My circumstances, being invited by the HD were a different situation and I did dine in Cagneys on that occasion for breakfast & lunch during that cruise. I must say, during that cruise Cagneys' was virtually empty most of the time. Maybe this is why I got that little perk :confused:}

Needless to say I would never expect suite perks without paying for a suite.

I will say that NCL treats CC Members (especially large groups of CC members) better than any other line I have sailed.

Who knows, maybe being a CC member (part of a large CC group) got us perks on those occasions????????

The simple answer is no, just like it is no for folks booked in te BB next door to the owners suite.

Al

I think that may depend on your in-laws....it may in fact be wonderful! :eek: :p

West Coast - LOL. Yeah, this is one of the apparently rare instances where I actually enjoy being with them (as do the rest of our party). We'll see how it goes. None of us wish to cause any irritation or come across as pushing the envelope.

Personally I don't see how you can even compare perks on a flight that lasts a few hours and a cruise sailing for a week.

Generally if you travel with a group you do occasionally like to be able to dine together. We just got off the Star and Cagney's was usually fairly empty every time we went up there. Seeing the amount of food that goes to waste I don't see why they can't allow groups who are booked together to dine together. It isn't like they are packed in the first place and if they have plenty of room available I don't see why you can't bring guests. Perhaps they could allow suite guests to bring a certain number of guests and then once that is used up you can't bring anymore?

We had two cabins booked one finally got a suite 5 days before sailing, however they other was a group of 4 so there wasn't any availability for them to also be able to upgrade. I am also guessing there were perks we weren't even aware of as they didn't give you any information in the cabins either.

Personally I don't see how you can even compare perks on a flight that lasts a few hours and a cruise sailing for a week.

Generally if you travel with a group you do occasionally like to be able to dine together. We just got off the Star and Cagney's was usually fairly empty every time we went up there. Seeing the amount of food that goes to waste I don't see why they can't allow groups who are booked together to dine together. It isn't like they are packed in the first place and if they have plenty of room available I don't see why you can't bring guests. Perhaps they could allow suite guests to bring a certain number of guests and then once that is used up you can't bring anymore?

We had two cabins booked one finally got a suite 5 days before sailing, however they other was a group of 4 so there wasn't any availability for them to also be able to upgrade. I am also guessing there were perks we weren't even aware of as they didn't give you any information in the cabins either.

So we pay the same fare, but you can invite your friends because you "booked together" and I can't invite my friends because we didn't? Does not seem fair at all.

The simple answer is no, just like it is no for folks booked in te BB next door to the owners suite.

Al

Not a simple answer. More often then not family booked into the that adjoining balcony cabin turning the AA into a two bedroom suite are allowed to join the AA guests in all the perks. It is up to the concierge and polite request is usually granted. Same is true for the AF and AB if booked as one family.

Baseline answer seems to be "no," non-suite guests can not and should not get suite-perks. Though I agree with this as a general rule, I think there should be leeway granted on a situational basis. No expecations, however (except for suiters). And, it sounds like NCL may approve of variances such as a small number of family guests. But, it's definitely an NCL call.

It is just amazing how such a simple concept becomes so difficult...:eek:

The flight was an EXAMPLE ... it isn't supposed to be the exact same thing. You have to see the forest for the trees.

In BOTH cases is comes down to Person A gives money to Supplier X and is rewarded with perks. Person B gives a differing amount of money to Supplier X, but does not receive perks. Person A cannot just bestow perks upon Person B...only Supplier X can do that.

If you are travelling in a group and want to eat together, I don't see why that would be difficult. You will be able to eat together in any restaurant on the ship EXCEPT the one(s) reserved for people who paid for perks.

When you cut to the chase, this is about one of two things:

#1 - People in different cabin categories want to eat together. This is very SIMPLE...all they have to do is show up at any restaurant where they are all permitted to dine and they can eat together. No muss, no fuss, no problem!

OR

#2 - People in different cabin categories are trying to get benefits that they have not paid for. Trying to get something for nothing. The cruise line is accused of "nickel and diming" for trying to get you to buy things. So then, trying to get something without paying for it is just the passenger "nickel and diming" the cruise line.

So many thoughts....

I think there's a bit of a difference between Cagney's and the courtyard, honestly... people eat and go, but you can easily sit poolside all day if you don't have a port of call.

I would say non-suite cruisers should expect nothing extra. Those with privileges, if they do have guests, should ask those with the power rather than people posting opinions who probably really don't know. But personal opinion is, those guests aren't really eating anything more than they'd be eating in other venues. The key thing of Cagney's is the exclusivity of it and even if every suite party knew 10 other non-suite guests on the ship, that is nothing compared to the actual number of people on the ship and as long as there isn't a waiting time, I don't think NCL is going to want to give anyone a bad memory over something so minor.

I have an outside, non-balcony room and I'm cool with it. I'd love to see how the R&F (haha) live, but I have no expectations that I'll ever even know someone with that much money... hell, that much money would pay for 3 to 6 more vacations for me, so I prioritize. I'd rather spend more cash on the excursions and shopping... things I can take back home.

The person with the family he or she is treating to a suite cruise - good for you! Great for your family! And if MIL is coming to watch the kids, I'm guessing that means you may or may not even be in the courtyard if the kids are, but one person... if it's not busy, I don't think your butler is going to go combat on you and order her out... just discuss it before she shows up and then be conscientious about the comings and goings of other guests. I think part of what you're paying that extra money for is to share it. At first the plane scenario made sense, but the longer I think about it, the less it does... everyone pays for the food on a ship, not necessarily the same on a plane. Plus, actual rules on a plane, unless you need to visit the toilet closet, you're not supposed to be out of your seat and they even recommend your seatbelt since you never know when a wind shear can be hit. The point of a cruise ship is to have fun as you go from port to port.... worrying about who can go where and do what... doesn't sound like fun to me. Just remember to treat others as you'd like to be... so if more cruisers who paid for the privilege show up to use the private pool, take it back inside or go to one of the public areas.

But also, (not remembering if you mentioned age of the kids), if they're old enough, be sure to check out the kids club... there's someone that just blogged her trip during the trip with hubby, her parents, and they're 2 young boys... those kids couldn't get enough of the kids club while on the ship... check out this thread and see how a perfect cruise looks.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1198436

Have fun everyone! And really, do you show your CC membership card when you cruise? I'm pretty new on here and maybe I just haven't gotten mine... maybe it got lost in the mail... but part of a good crew is to make sure you have everything you need... part of a great crew is to bend over backwards trying to make everything perfect.

Hmmm....I wonder what is going to happen on the Epic with approximately 300 suite passengers - that courtyard is going to be crowded and if they want to bring friends/family to their private dining club? :eek:

Hmmm....I wonder what is going to happen on the Epic with approximately 300 suite passengers - that courtyard is going to be crowded and if they want to bring friends/family to their private dining club? :eek:

That's where the whole "be conscientious" thing comes into play... please be sure to read the whole post, not just part of it. Thanks!:cool:

Calling NCL doesn't always give you correct answers.

It may be fine and it may not be. Best to talk to the concierge when you board.

That's where the whole "be conscientious" thing comes into play... please be sure to read the whole post, not just part of it. Thanks!:cool:

??? I wasn't replying to your post and I did read your entire post. I am replying to this thread about how this topic will be a problem on the Epic due to the amount of suite passengers.

??? I wasn't replying to your post and I did read your entire post. I am replying to this thread about how this topic will be a problem on the Epic due to the amount of suite passengers.

Sorry, my mistake... I would still guess that the number of guests at Cagney's would not be a problem... not everyone is going to go eat at the same time and not everyone is always going to have excess guests they're trying to bring thru. And not every suite cruiser is necessarily going only to Cagney's.

And I don't have a clue, but if there's an increased # of GV's on the Epic, I would expect that Cagney's is correspondingly increased in size?? I wouldn't expect a ship to double or triple in size and not make corresponding adjustments to the public (or not-so-public) areas....:D

I'm in a suite on the Epic and we have the Epic Club which I think is instead of Cagney's for suite guests. I'm sure with all the careful planning that went into the Epic they allowed for the number of suite guests.

I also have an interesting scenario that illustrates a possibility as far as bringing guests. Having said that, I think the right answer is that NCL has many years of experience policing suite perks, and I have confidence they will make a decision about exceptions based upon individual circumstances. I am certain they have specific policies for exceptions!

So here's the scenario--two couples (or a group) are cruising together. Couple 1 books a suite, Couple 2 doesn't. Couple 2 contributes $ towards Couple 1's increased cruise fare in return for Couple 1 sharing suite perks with Couple 2. Very plausible! Or substitute "the rest of the group" for Couple 2. and a total abuse of the system in that case!

On a personal level I think I have no problem with mother in law babysitting and joining family for that (althought it's unfair to MIL to be the nanny!), BUT--there is no need for kids to eat at Cagney's in that case, so perhaps all can eat at any one of the numerous non-suite venues. If folks staying in suites choose to travel as a group with folks who aren't, they could choose NOT to spend the extra $$$ on the suite and stay close to the rest of their group--or they could also choose to eat somewhere other than Cagney's, so the whole group can eat together. I don't see the problem with eating at any of the many, many non-suite restaurants!

Dawn - No worries!!!

I am sure NCL has its end covered on this issue but seeing pics of the size of the courtyard and of the Epic club, it appears those areas will be crowded with suite guests alone - not adding in family or friends.

I can't wait till the first reviews start coming in next month as to how all this will be on the Epic!!!

Archived