balconies on "sun class ships"

lancet

I have sailed several times on the Grand, Sapphire & Diamond ships; and always had a Caribe deck balcony. This was for reason stated often in previous threads. I will be sailing on the Dawn and Sea in the near future. My question is: Are the sides of the ships flush so all the balconies are the same as far as covered and size (non suites); or are some balcony decks partially cover and others not? Another words, is there a "Caribe Deck Preference" as in the Grand class?

Thanks for any help

Lancet

No actual preference on the Sun Class ships for different balcony sizes. Except for minis and full suites, they are all about 3 1/2 feet deep by the width of the cabin (about 9 feet) long and all fully covered. There are some with a larger cut out section for a better view, but when it comes to size, it doesn't matter which one you book. If you are used to the larger ship Caribe balcony, this is going to be a real shock. These balconys only hold two straight back chairs and one small round table, there isn't room for much more on them. Enjoy!

Thanks Toto for the info. From previous threads, I am expecting a small balcony. Maybe its time to consider a suite when I take the Dawn sailing as it is a longer cruise.

Thanks again

Thanks Toto for the info. From previous threads, I am expecting a small balcony. Maybe its time to consider a suite when I take the Dawn sailing as it is a longer cruise.

Thanks again

Keep in mind, the mini suites on this class of ship on the sides have the same depth of balcony, about 3 1/2 feet, only they are twice as wide with two entrances, one from the sitting area, one from the bedroom area. In order to get a better sized balcony, you need to go to the aft suites and mini suites. And the deck you book on reflects the size of the balcony those offer as they are not all the same aft.

YOu want aloha or baja. IF you go for aloha - pay attention to what's above you. They move deck chairs around a lot and if you're under the pool you'll hear it. Spent a whole cruise on the Sun with a ping pong table above our room. drove me nuts!!

That said, I love these ships and miss them

Yes, the balconies are smaller, being hull cut, but I am another who prefers the Sun class to the larger Grand and modified Grand class ships.

The mini-suites are quite nice, but rather expensive.

There is one deck when the openings to the balconies are smaller (not the balconies themselves but the openings). Sorry I don't remember the details.

I also love these ships!

Because the balconies are cut out of the hull (or part of the hull, however you want to phrase it), they are essentially enclosed, metal balconies. There aren't "dividers" between balconies, they are metal walls, and the railing is not see-through. It, too, is metal. While some find this set-up confining, it also means that the balconies are very private and protected from wind, rain and even smoke from nearby balconies. IMHO, there are pluses and minus'; I'm perfectly happy on a Sun-class balcony. :)

Because the balconies are cut out of the hull (or part of the hull, however you want to phrase it), they are essentially enclosed, metal balconies. There aren't "dividers" between balconies, they are metal walls, and the railing is not see-through. It, too, is metal. While some find this set-up confining, it also means that the balconies are very private and protected from wind, rain and even smoke from nearby balconies. IMHO, there are pluses and minus'; I'm perfectly happy on a Sun-class balcony. :)

Pam - looking at my pictures - there are dividers between cabins on this ship that can be opened (not sure if this is true for every cabin). I wasn't sure until I looked at my pics.

Image-BF1F2D82C88511D8.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpg

Pam - looking at my pictures - there are dividers between cabins on this ship that can be opened (not sure if this is true for every cabin). I wasn't sure until I looked at my pics.

Image-BF1F2D82C88511D8.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpg

Oppss... you're right. It's been quite a few years since I've been on a Sun-class balcony. Mea culpa.

Hi Coral

Lee from Australia

Just had alook at your pics of the Dawn, noticed you were in D325 how did you find that cabin?

Regards Lee:)

Hi Lee,

I am glad you asked! I had been on D324 for a previous cruise on the Sun Princess and loved the location. It had been very quiet and it was very convenient to the elevators, pizzeria, atrium, etc... So I specifically picked D325 for a B2B (I booked late and there were only so many cabins that were available for a B2B). Knowing that I had been in a close location previously - I thought I hit jackpot.

Well - this cabin was awful and if you have it - please switch to another cabin. This cabin happens to be right on top of the Wheelhouse Lounge and specifically the band. My room vibrated from the bass nightly and I never got any sleep. Thankfully, they moved me (and gave me a balcony) for my next leg of the trip as I was very sleep deprived the first week. According to my room steward there are 2 cabins (not sure if it was D322 plus mine or D323) on each side of that hallway plus the corresponding 2 cabins across from this that have this problem. So a total of 4 cabins out of the 6 that can "feel the band".

I wouldn't hesitate to book cabins on that deck again but not any of those 6.

Also - FYI, when the beds are made into a queen, it is very difficult to get on either side of the bed except to dive into it. Some people prefer to leave the bed as twins for this reason. Otherwise, the storage in this cabin was fabulous. The whole wall across from the desk was storage. There was more storage in that cabin compared to the balcony cabin I was moved to.

Good luck!

Oppss... you're right. It's been quite a few years since I've been on a Sun-class balcony. Mea culpa.

Something makes me wonder if they are all like that - I think some do not have the divider so I wouldn't plan on it.

Archived