Alaskan Humour

Putterdude

Well, I can add one to the list. Hosted a conference two years ago and I got asked from someone from the Lower 48, would they need their passport :confused::rolleyes:

Told them no that we were part of the US and didn't need one, but if the plane had an emergency and they had to land in Canada, they might need it then!:D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Ive gotten the "where are the igloo's?" Ok to answer this question. No Native Alaskan IE Tlinget, Inupiat, etc etc has ever lived full time in a Igloo. The Igloo's where only used as temporary shelters for hunting parties never as permanent structures.

Oh and im happy to report that I have also been asked what is our exchange rate?

Adri :)

It is amazing how people can be so st...I . The schools need to do a better job teaching American History and Geography.Hawaii gets the same questions LOL.Come to South Florida it can appear that you are in a foreign country .Can be confusing.It is a shame though that if you shop for trinkets to bring home in the US you have to look at the labels because most things are made in China.I hope I can find a few things made in Alaska.We are doing a taste of Homer so we are planning on picking up a few bottles of wine and mead.

Thanks for sharing. When I am traveling and I am asked where I am from, I sometimes get a very puzzled look, then a long pause and then the comment... Long Island? I guess it doesn't pay to be too big or too small!

Peg

Being in the Navy as long as I was I have travelled nearly around the world. We would joke that all foreign money was called Gazintas, because we always wanted to know how many of these Gazinta (goes into) American money. Arriving in Hawaii after a 6 month deployment we jokingly said, amongst ourselves, I wonder how many Gazintas I can get.

I was in France and out on the town with my liberty buddy when we saw this young child having fun and talking to the adults nearby. We were silent for a moment as we took in the scene, finally I said, tongue-in-cheek, "that's amazing! so young and able to speak a foreign language." My buddy busted a gut.

However many tourists just get caught up in the moment and unfortunately can't help themselves. They are what's known as "obliviates." They are so self absorbed they are oblivious to life around them. They are the reason for the statement "bless their heart." It means "I sound like I'm pitying them, but actually, I'm glad I'm not one of them.":p

PKrKa - when people ask you where you're from, tell them "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" and watch their head explode.:eek:

I can't wait to get back to Alaska, it's been 22 years since I lived there. And although they are probably made in China, I still have to look for an Alaskan doll. I bought my wife one for each year we live in Adak.

about 15 years ago there a forest service project in juneau that required an environmental impact statement (eis). the public requested to review the document and comment. all comments must receive a response.

a person or persons met one of the cruise ships in juneau and handed out pre-addressed pre-stamped, comment postcards. the comment side was already printed and the person only had to add their name and address.

the comment was that the forest service had failed to address how this project would impact the mendenhall penguins.

all comments must receive a response.

"obliviots."

My new favorite word. :D

I was looking for my copy of the "This is True" newsletter where Randy Cassingham coined the term, but can't immediately find it. You can, however, find plenty of examples of these people at This Is True and even get a weekly newsletter that will make you think a bit.

about 15 years ago there a forest service project in juneau that required an environmental impact statement (eis). the public requested to review the document and comment. all comments must receive a response.

a person or persons met one of the cruise ships in juneau and handed out pre-addressed pre-stamped, comment postcards. the comment side was already printed and the person only had to add their name and address.

the comment was that the forest service had failed to address how this project would impact the mendenhall penguins.

all comments must receive a response.

Im dying here dying now that is funny. The poor abused NON existent Mendenhall penguins deserve to be helped lolo. Thats priceless thanks for posting this "Wipes tears" as I LOL again,

Adri :)

Archived