Summer cruising out of Port Canaveral

teach566

Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to plan a cruise for my parents 50th wedding anniversary in late June, 2011. There will be 11 of us sailing. 5 are kids ages 12, 12, 11, 9 and 5. We would like to depart from Port Canaveral so we can visit Vero Beach for a few days. We have narrowed it down to RC Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Dream. I like the idea of sailing on Carnival's newest ship, but I am concerned about partying college kids. Does anyone have any knowledge of Port Can. cruises and spring break partying?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

You will have no more "partying college kids" on Carnival than on RCI....these lines require folks under 21 to have an "adult" (never mind that 18 years olds can sign legal contracts!!!) in order to cruise! So you won't find too many college kids cruising, especially on longer trips, without their parents or chaperones.

In June, you will have alot of families, with kids of all ages.

Either line will give you a great vacation for all of the ages in your group!

Do not worry about the spring breakers......way too late in the year for them.

Of the two ships,I would choose the Freedom over the Dream. Reasons why: the Freedom has a rock climbing wall, H2O zone (water works) pools, mini golf, sports court, ice skating rink, Adventure Ocean and the Promenade with all the eating places. The Dream is nice, but I think the Freedom is better!

We've cruised out of Port Canaveral twice in June, once on Carnival Glory and once on Royal's Mariner. We didn't see any difference in the demographics on the ship, both had mainly families. The college break crowd tends to go on the short 3 & 4 day cruises, not the 7 day ones especially in the summer when the prices are usually higher.

Now as for the ships, with the group you are sailing with I would go with Freedom. I've not been on Dream but as I mentioned have done Carnival before. There is just so much more available for 'kids of all ages'. Also, we found the RCI ships to seem less crowded, less lines, etc. I think its just the way things are laid out on the ship.

I am also looking into booking the Dream or Freedom. There will be 4 children and 3 adults and right now the total price is about $1000 less on Carnival. I would rather go on RC but that's alot of money.

Archived