Costa Atlantica April/May 2011

William W

Anyone knows what's happening with the Atlantica during April/May 2011? I was booked on the 11 nights Canada/New England for May 1st. And now, the cruise is no longer listed on Costa website, in fact all sailing within April and May 2011 has been taken off the website. Is this just website maintenance? Or are they cancelling the cruises instead to dry dock/renovate the ship during those 2 months?

Anyone knows what's happening with the Atlantica during April/May 2011? I was booked on the 11 nights Canada/New England for May 1st. And now, the cruise is no longer listed on Costa website, in fact all sailing within April and May 2011 has been taken off the website. Is this just website maintenance? Or are they cancelling the cruises instead to dry dock/renovate the ship during those 2 months?

It is nothing to do with website maintenance (why only one ship and two months). Also nothing to do with dry docking as these are planned well in advance (even before the catalogs are published) and the gaps in sailing schedules can be seen.

Has your booking been canceled by Costa?

The cruises are not being shown on the UK or Germany Costa sites. Sometimes such things happen when the ship is chartered for some specific cruises.

On some Germany TA sites both the Miami/Quebec and New York/Bremerhaven and the 3 New England cruises are bing shown as been totally sold out.

Ron

Has your booking been canceled by Costa?

The cruises are not being shown on the UK or Germany Costa sites. Sometimes such things happen when the ship is chartered for some specific cruises.

On some Germany TA sites both the Miami/Quebec and New York/Bremerhaven and the 3 New England cruises are bing shown as been totally sold out.

Ron

Thanks for the explanation. My booking have not yet been cancelled, at least I have not yet been notified. Though, at the time of my booking, which was a couple of weeks ago, there were still plenty of cabins available. So, I suppose like you said, the entire ship was likely chartered out for the month of April and May. In this case, when would Costa notifies me/my TA of the cancellation, and would I be entitled to any compensations such as future on board credit? Thanks!

Thanks

Our cruise on Atlantica for 25 March, Miami to Quebec City is still on, I hope so, I have paid in FULL !

I asked for upgrade but the Costa Asia-Pacific office told me no 'free upgrades as the cruise was selling very well.

Further to this, I checked on Costa website, my booking for 25 March is still there, but Costa Atlantica is not listed for ANY cruises for 5 months from January to June, 2011. However I have just checked with a couple of on line cruise T/A's in Australia and the Atlantica Cruise on 25 March is still alive, as are others.

Strange ?

Thanks for the explanation. My booking have not yet been cancelled, at least I have not yet been notified. Though, at the time of my booking, which was a couple of weeks ago, there were still plenty of cabins available. So, I suppose like you said, the entire ship was likely chartered out for the month of April and May. In this case, when would Costa notifies me/my TA of the cancellation, and would I be entitled to any compensations such as future on board credit? Thanks!

Thanks

If your cruise has been charted then Costa/TA could informed you at anytime. You would will not be entitled to any form of compensation (i.e. OBC), the following is from Costa's T&C:

Costa Crociere reserves the right to change or abandon all or any part of the cruise program and to change the itinerary whenever advisable or necessary, in which case Costa Crociere shall not be responsible for any loss or expense caused thereby. If the cruise is withdrawn before sailing date, you shall only be entitled a refund of the amount received by CCL from you.

Ron

Further to the Atlantica cruise on 25 March, Miami to Quebec City. I just learnt from a very close relative in the travel industry...the cruise is on, but apart from the early bookings including mine, the cruise is not being sold currently due to 'large scale block allocations to European cruise wholesalers. In other words those who did not book real early on this one are not on, mostly Europeans on board I would think, maybe the same deal for the other Atlantica sailings in March, April, May etc, no longer listed on Costa site.

Blue Doneau, you are pretty spot on, charters for 90% of the cabins.

Further to the Atlantica cruise on 25 March, Miami to Quebec City. I just learnt from a very close relative in the travel industry...the cruise is on, but apart from the early bookings including mine, the cruise is not being sold currently due to 'large scale block allocations to European cruise wholesalers. In other words those who did not book real early on this one are not on, mostly Europeans on board I would think, maybe the same deal for the other Atlantica sailings in March, April, May etc, no longer listed on Costa site.

Blue Doneau, you are pretty spot on, charters for 90% of the cabins.

Here is what I got for my TA:

Hi John,

I don’t have good news……Costa has cancelled many sailings (February –April) for the Atlantica, as they are taking her to a new destination. Basically, they are offering a full refund or if you book another Costa cruise they will give you a $100 Onboard Credit for the booking.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, can you either call me or email me back on how to proceed?

John

I do not think that Costa will send the Atlantica to a new destination next February / April.

Reasons being:

a. The February / April time frame cuts into two areas/seasons namely Caribbean and New England.

b. The New England season is a very new and successful one for Costa.

c. Cruise lines do not like to change schedules if it can be avoided, lots of work in rescheduling.

d. If Costa has changed the schedule/destination then it would advertised asap so as to start the bookings rolling for the repositioning and new destination cruises.

My bet is on block booking / charter.

But who knows - only Costa.

Ron

I do not think that Costa will send the Atlantica to a new destination next February / April.

Reasons being:

a. The February / April time frame cuts into two areas/seasons namely Caribbean and New England.

b. The New England season is a very new and successful one for Costa.

c. Cruise lines do not like to change schedules if it can be avoided, lots of work in rescheduling.

d. If Costa has changed the schedule/destination then it would advertised asap so as to start the bookings rolling for the repositioning and new destination cruises.

My bet is on block booking / charter.

But who knows - only Costa.

Ron

Hi Ron, I believe you are right. My TA was told the cruise was cancelled and offered only $100 on board credit if I cancel both of my back to back cruises. I think they are shaking the trees to see who will cancel or change cruises so the can either free up rooms for block bookings or save money on offering a decent buy out to make me change. I find it interesting that no one has gotten cancelation notices or official notices from Costa. Are they are that poorly managed or that smart? ;)

I told my TA to hold firm on my 2 cruises until Costa shows it's hand. It's like Kenny Rogers says "know when to hold then, know when to fold them". I'm holding!

John

Block bookings, maybe because the Europeans spend more on shorex and alcohol ?

I have contacted Costa Asia/Pacific...existing bookings on Atlantica are firm.

Impalajohn, stick with it mate.

Block bookings, maybe because the Europeans spend more on shorex and alcohol ?

I have contacted Costa Asia/Pacific...existing bookings on Atlantica are firm.

Impalajohn, stick with it mate.

Les, thanks for the advice.

John

Are they are that poorly managed or that smart? ;)

John

Hi John,

Costa are GREAT while at sea (love their cruises) but on dry land they seem to go to pot.

Stick with your cruises, I am sure you will have a great time.

Ron

I just received a call from my TA, telling me that Costa have cancelled my reservation, and unlike the other poster, they did not offer any compensation. :mad: Didn't Celebrity offered passengers $100 OBC for those who booked on the Mercury on cruises cancelled due to the ship leaving the fleet? This is just poor customer service on Costa's part.

I also heard New England 2011, has been totally cancelled, Not a big surprise to me as the rates were bargain basement and she still went out with way too many empty cabins from Quebec city this April. why do it again doesnt make too much cents. pun intended.

I also heard New England 2011, has been totally cancelled, Not a big surprise to me as the rates were bargain basement and she still went out with way too many empty cabins from Quebec city this April. why do it again doesnt make too much cents. pun intended.

Strange to me, I just contacted Costa Asia/Pacific Office, they told me the Canada/New England Sailing of 25 March 2011, was still on and selling very well in he market. Just what is going on? I have fully paid the cruise, paid post cruise hotel in Quebec, Toronto and San Francisco, train, & flights.

This is driving me NUTS ! I just got officially informed by Carnival Australia office in Sydney that the Costa Atlantica cruise, Miami to Quebec City on 25 March 2011 has been CANNED ! Ship has been redeployed to Caribbean sailings. So on 25 March it goes onto 7 day Caribbean cruises. Not happy, now I have to look for something else as I have booked post cruise stuff, flights, hotels, trains. Bye, bye.

You had asked for photos of e209 Star Princess or Golden (sister ship) I took these for you. It was not very obstructed and a really really nice room...check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830062&page=15&highlight=e209

Thank you Ellyn, at least we are still on Star Princess, Santiago to FL. Now looking for another one in lieu of the cancelled Costa one. Maybe Panama Canal or Carib for a couple of weeks.

Thank you all.

This is driving me NUTS ! I just got officially informed by Carnival Australia office in Sydney that the Costa Atlantica cruise, Miami to Quebec City on 25 March 2011 has been CANNED ! Ship has been redeployed to Caribbean sailings. So on 25 March it goes onto 7 day Caribbean cruises. Not happy, now I have to look for something else as I have booked post cruise stuff, flights, hotels, trains. Bye, bye.

Les, the Atlantica mis-information continues. I called Costa USA today and was told that on March 25th she is headed to Europe from Miami to Venice. I asked when the new schedule would be posted and was told that until they cancel all the old schedule bookings, no new ones will post.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Yes my March 25 Atlantica cruise is cancelled due to ship redeployment, Miami to Venice on 25 March NOT New England/Canada. I have now booked on Westerdam - the Carib, leaving 25 March to fill the void, but it has cost me a lot more hard earned, flights, hotel, cruise fares higher etc, no compo from Costa of course.

You had asked for photos of e209 Star Princess or Golden (sister ship) I took these for you. It was not very obstructed and a really really nice room...check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830062&page=15&highlight=e209

ANGYL, thanks for the info on cabin E209, I checked out your pics, very good, We are in E210 (across on Port side,) Star Princess.

Others who booked on the cancelled cruises, have you got your deposit refunded yet? I have check with my credit card company, and Costa has not yet refund my deposit. This is getting very annoying. First the cancellation, and now, they want to hold on to my money. :mad:

Archived