Cheeseburger Reef or Eden Rock?

Dawn125408

Plan on snorkeling off shore when we go to Grand Cayman in September. Which would be the best area to snorkel? I read that Eden Rock is rocky upon entry but that Cheeseburger Reef is sandy. I know Eden Rock is a short walk to the right. And, Cheeseburger Reef is to the left - but how far of a walk is it? Thanks

Here's a site with some info on nearby snorkling:

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/grandcaymansnorkeling.htm

If I recall correctly, there were concrete steps to enter/exit at Eden Rock. Last time I was there, the water was a bit choppy and it was a bit of an effort to exit with scuba gear on, but I don't think it would be an issue with just snorkling stuff. I think the water is generally much calmer than it was when I was there as well.

Good luck and have fun.

You should have time to do both. We snorkeled at Eden Rock Dive Center in March. It was very good. We had our masks and snorkels but needed to rent life jackets and fins. After snorkeling at Eden Rock (for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours) we walked in the opposite direction about 20 min. to Burger King. We bought our boys a burger at Burger King and decided instead of snorkeling at Cheeseburger Reef we walked about 5 minutes back towards town to The Wreck of the Cali at Divers Down. After snorkeling both places we still had time to do a little shopping. If you only want to snorkle at one place and need any equipment I'd go to Eden Rock Dive Center. If you only want to snorkel at one place you should still have time for lunch, shopping or a trip to 7 mile beach.

We went snorkelling at Eden Rock last week, and it was a fantastic experience. While there we heard someone else say that the snorkelling was far better there than they had seen at Cheeseburger Reef. The best part was that there weren't too many people at Eden Rock, so we didn't feel crowded in the water. We didn't see any ship excursions at Eden Rock, though many went to Cheeseburger Reef, so that gives you a nicer experience. I think the Eden Rock snorkelling is better for a more experienced snorkeller; ship excursions to Cheeseburger Reef have to cater to beginners.

Getting in the water at Eden Rock wasn't bad - easier than other shore snorkels we have done (since water is calm there) or getting in from a boat. Just get in and swim away and you're fine. It was nice to get advice from Eden Rock dive shop, have lockers and freshwater showers there too, and be able to rent anything we needed.

I read reviews stating that Eden Rock was like an aquarium with the number of fish, and it was definitely true. Wow, what a sight! We also swam over to Devil's Grotto. The dive ship said that the fish at Devil's Grotto were as big as us, but they wouldn't bother us. Devil's Grotto mostly had large barracuda hanging around under the ledges. Eden Rock was more fun for me with the number of fish, and ability to see down through lots of coral. We just loved it.

We had planned to snorkel at the Cali too but last week they were using the Watler pier for all the cruise ships (instead of the usual piers), and there was too much boat traffic in the area of the Cali to do any private snorkelling there. The dive shop warned that we would need a dive flag and it was still risky with the boats.

Hope this helps.

We went snorkelling at Eden Rock last week, and it was a fantastic experience. While there we heard someone else say that the snorkelling was far better there than they had seen at Cheeseburger Reef. The best part was that there weren't too many people at Eden Rock, so we didn't feel crowded in the water. We didn't see any ship excursions at Eden Rock, though many went to Cheeseburger Reef, so that gives you a nicer experience. I think the Eden Rock snorkelling is better for a more experienced snorkeller; ship excursions to Cheeseburger Reef have to cater to beginners.

Getting in the water at Eden Rock wasn't bad - easier than other shore snorkels we have done (since water is calm there) or getting in from a boat. Just get in and swim away and you're fine. It was nice to get advice from Eden Rock dive shop, have lockers and freshwater showers there too, and be able to rent anything we needed.

I read reviews stating that Eden Rock was like an aquarium with the number of fish, and it was definitely true. Wow, what a sight! We also swam over to Devil's Grotto. The dive ship said that the fish at Devil's Grotto were as big as us, but they wouldn't bother us. Devil's Grotto mostly had large barracuda hanging around under the ledges. Eden Rock was more fun for me with the number of fish, and ability to see down through lots of coral. We just loved it.

We had planned to snorkel at the Cali too but last week they were using the Watler pier for all the cruise ships (instead of the usual piers), and there was too much boat traffic in the area of the Cali to do any private snorkelling there. The dive shop warned that we would need a dive flag and it was still risky with the boats.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I really think I'm going to go to Eden Rock. It sounds great there, and I like the idea of lockers and showers there also.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto that the snorkeling is absolutely fantastic at Eden Rock. As to the entry...there is a ladder that goes directly into the sea and there is also a concrete slab you can sit on and put on your fins and step right into the water. You don't have to climb over rocks or anything.

Archived