Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

I do think I like Vimeo better. I can upload a 5GB movie, so much more capacity that youtube (granted it takes forever to upload a 1.5GB file......)

Tim

I use the free version of Vimeo which restricts you to 500MB per week. You Tube has raised its regular limit to 15 minutes and 2 GB. For some reason, my account is now enabled for over 15 minues. May be because I have uploaded more than 200 videos!

I use the free version of Vimeo which restricts you to 500MB per week. You Tube has raised its regular limit to 15 minutes and 2 GB. For some reason, my account is now enabled for over 15 minues. May be because I have uploaded more than 200 videos!

I had tired the free version of Vimeo and 500MB would make me make numerous parts to get something up. Also, the upload speed is faster when you pay them. Interesting about how youtube has raised the limit to 15 minutes and 2GB. I still do not like how half the music you use gets blocked due to that whole copywrite dispute.

• 3 weeks later...
Tim- loved the video! Your images are so crystal clear! We recently booked Sapphire's sister, Diamond to Alaska, but the cruise is not til May 26th, 2012 :(.

Take care,

Marty

Thanks Marty. I really notice a difference in the images I get from my dSLR. Alaska will be a great place to shoot video and photos. There would be some much to see and capture. We had wanted to go to Alaska this summer, but did not work out. Maybe in 2012. Guess you will get plenty of time to get some ideas for the video and practice before you go.

Tim

Thanks Marty. I really notice a difference in the images I get from my dSLR. Alaska will be a great place to shoot video and photos. There would be some much to see and capture. We had wanted to go to Alaska this summer, but did not work out. Maybe in 2012. Guess you will get plenty of time to get some ideas for the video and practice before you go.

Tim

This is one of our big "bucket list" items and we have designated it our "official" honeymoon (delayed a bit). We definitely have plenty of time to save for it! I can imagine the amount of images I will have after this trip!

Thanks again for sharing the video; love the clarity & the graphics!

Marty

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, finished and uploaded part 3. This one is a little longer. As always, feedback is welcome and encouraged.

Tim

Tim – Enjoyed your Mexican Cruise videos. Lots of work. It shows. I think you have the right idea. You’ve actually got all the family in the family video – even yourself. Excellent. Nice mix of stills and video. It’s especially nice to see the use of “live” sound. I noticed in one of your posts that you were concerned about the sound during your “on camera” take . I think that sound was fine but I’m glad you’re concerned. Sound is very important. We all could do better. Great effort Tim. I liked it. Saw the whole thing. It’ll play very well twenty years from now because it is not just a bunch of scenery put to music! That’s the test – will it still be interesting twenty years from now?

I’ve done the same Mexican cruise twice now. (My wife’s actually done it four times) .. Here’s Part one of our last time … I’ll post the other parts as I get them finished..

Hi Paul & Amy,

Loved Part 1 of your Mexican Riveria cruise on Sapphire Princess. Couldn't be better timing, as I mentioned to Tim, we'll be on her sister the Diamond Princess on May 26, 2012 out of Vancouver doing Alaska NB.

Really looking forward to more images of the Sapphire, as it'll get me "fired up" for our Alaska cruise on Diamond (like I need more firing ;)). Loved the shots in Skywalkers; that's a great perk having a section to yourselves.

This will be our first cruise with Princess. We have booked side-by-side mini-suites on Emerald deck, so the balconies are covered. This is our "deferred honeymoon" but we're bringing our moms :eek:.

Also, LOVED the shots of the Lane Victory and especially your narration about the ship (including the cut in of Lane himself...very nice touch). I am a licensed merchant mariner myself, so I really appreciated your salute to the merchant mariners who also risked their lives during WWII.

Again, great video and look forward to the next part(s)!

Marty

Hi Paul & Amy,

Loved Part 1 of your Mexican Riveria cruise on Sapphire Princess. Couldn't be better timing, as I mentioned to Tim, we'll be on her sister the Diamond Princess on May 26, 2012 out of Vancouver doing Alaska NB.

Really looking forward to more images of the Sapphire, as it'll get me "fired up" for our Alaska cruise on Diamond (like I need more firing ;)). Loved the shots in Skywalkers; that's a great perk having a section to yourselves.

This will be our first cruise with Princess. We have booked side-by-side mini-suites on Emerald deck, so the balconies are covered. This is our "deferred honeymoon" but we're bringing our moms :eek:.

Also, LOVED the shots of the Lane Victory and especially your narration about the ship (including the cut in of Lane himself...very nice touch). I am a licensed merchant mariner myself, so I really appreciated your salute to the merchant mariners who also risked their lives during WWII.

Again, great video and look forward to the next part(s)!

Marty

Marty -- The Merchant Marines of WWII got a raw deal. They had the 2nd highest casualty rate (Marines were first) and many thought those boys joined the Merchant Marines to avoid risker combat service. Perhaps some innocently did, but it turned out quite differently and went unrecognized for far too long. It took until 1988 for Congress to belatedly extend basic Veterans benefits to those men. The Lane Victory, http://www.lanevictory.org/index.php still sails 6 times a year out to Catalina and on every trip (all run by volunteer Merchant Marines) they drop wreaths overboard for one of their lost ships of WWII. They have yet to exhaust the list.

Most passengers leaving LA Harbor see the ship but are unaware of it's history. Knowing these things enriches cruising! ..

Thanks for the nice comments on the video. Part two coming in a week or so...

Tim – Enjoyed your Mexican Cruise videos. Lots of work. It shows. I think you have the right idea. You’ve actually got all the family in the family video – even yourself. Excellent. Nice mix of stills and video. It’s especially nice to see the use of “live” sound. I noticed in one of your posts that you were concerned about the sound during your “on camera” take . I think that sound was fine but I’m glad you’re concerned. Sound is very important. We all could do better. Great effort Tim. I liked it. Saw the whole thing. It’ll play very well twenty years from now because it is not just a bunch of scenery put to music! That’s the test – will it still be interesting twenty years from now?

I’ve done the same Mexican cruise twice now. (My wife’s actually done it four times) .. Here’s Part one of our last time … I’ll post the other parts as I get them finished..

Great video Paul. Really enjoyed it. Your narration was very good and I really liked the part about the Lane Victory and incorporating it's history. I agree that the Merchant Marine got a raw deal with not getting veteran's benefits. Granted, more of a raw deal when your ship gets torpedoed and the convoy keeps going and you fend for yourself in the middle of the ocean....Your video gives me some interesting ideas for my next video. Ad a little history to the video. Got less than 40 days before we head to NY. Have plenty of ideas (and plenty of memory...)

Look forward to your next installment.

Tim

Just read the complete post begin to end very intresting I would like if yuz guys to critic my videos and respond whit your comments

http://bulabula.blip.tv/file/4268547/

thanx in advance

Hello Bula Bula (is that redundant?) -- I watched the whole thing. Lots of energy. You certainly have a basket full of nice transitions -- and an abundant sense of humor. You probably had a great time in editing !! I know I'm my best audience !! Making up this stuff can be fun !!

One thing I noticed was a lack of titles as to where we were .. I thought I recognized Cabo and Acapulco (the terminal) .. but it's a small point as the thing does flow along -good pacing .. I liked your use of "live sound" .. so many videos are just pictures set to music. One bugaboo for me .. too much of the stage shows .. but that's just me.

I'm as guilty as the next when it comes to not using a tripod. I hate carrying the thing around. But recently I've invested in a fairly light weight small one .. it has improved my footage when I have a chance to set it up (which is far from always) .. I thought your choice of music was good throughout..

Just read the complete post begin to end very intresting I would like if yuz guys to critic my videos and respond whit your comments

http://bulabula.blip.tv/file/4268547/

thanx in advance

Thought the video was good. I do agree with Paul about adding some titles to put some of the video into context. You used a lot of different transitions very close together. I think that makes the flow not work as well, but that is just my opinion. Also, some of the stills go bye too fast. Not sure what program you used to edit, but I know that when add stills and then put in transitions, it cuts down the time the picture is actually fully showing. For example, if I want a still to show fully for 3 seconds with transitions at the front and back, I will add it with an initial time of 5-6 seconds. Then when the transitions are added it cuts it down to to the 3 seconds depending on the transition. As for the video, camera shakes a lot and when you zoom, that exaggerates the shaking more. I have learned to be more careful and deliberate with my panning and zooming. Makes for better video in the end, but definitely something I learned the hard way. What type of camera did you use to shoot the video with anyways?

Tim

Great video Paul. Really enjoyed it. Your narration was very good and I really liked the part about the Lane Victory and incorporating it's history. I agree that the Merchant Marine got a raw deal with not getting veteran's benefits. Granted, more of a raw deal when your ship gets torpedoed and the convoy keeps going and you fend for yourself in the middle of the ocean....Your video gives me some interesting ideas for my next video. Ad a little history to the video. Got less than 40 days before we head to NY. Have plenty of ideas (and plenty of memory...)

Look forward to your next installment.

Tim

Here's Part Two of our most recent Mexican Cruise of Jan 2010.. Runs about 5 min.

Paul - great! Enjoyed Part 2! Love the way you talk to the audience(camera) as you are walking. I can see where that might be a little hazardous going down stairs :eek:!

Great seeing the spaces in the Sapphire, since we'll be on her sister (Diamond) going to Alaska in May 2012!

Thanks again, looking forward to Part 3 :)...

Marty

Here's Part Two of our most recent Mexican Cruise of Jan 2010.. Runs about 5 min.

Very nice camera work Paul. It flows together very well. The various clips and not too short, very little camera shake, and the panning worked really well on these as well. Like how you got some of the crew to interact with the video as well. Thought it gave a great representation of the various activities that where going on aboard the ship. Camera struggles in the low light, but find me a consumer camcorder without an external light that does well. Look forward to part 3.

Tim

Started putting together some trailers for our roll call for our upcoming cruise.

Started playing with these trailers in iMovie and the work out pretty good with a little bit of creativity. Funny how you can reuse old footage.

Started putting together some trailers for our roll call for our upcoming cruise.

Started playing with these trailers in iMovie and the work out pretty good with a little bit of creativity. Funny how you can reuse old footage.

Hey Tim you are having some fun. Well done. Just one suggestion -- on this upcoming Cruise -- bring a tripod. This will improve things even more. You have the knack for this. No doubt. Your titles are well conceived. The trailer music is excellent. Your cuts are on the money. The weakest link was the lack of rock solid footage -- but we are all guilty of this. Myself included. After all. We're on vacation !!

Funny. I've finished Mexico (haven't uploaded all of it yet) .. and I'm something like half done with our RCI 9 day Caribbean cruise in March of 2010. We left from Port Liberty NJ for that one. I'll try to get that posted soon so you can see it.

Again -- great job on the trailers.

Hey Tim you are having some fun. Well done. Just one suggestion -- on this upcoming Cruise -- bring a tripod. This will improve things even more. You have the knack for this. No doubt. Your titles are well conceived. The trailer music is excellent. Your cuts are on the money. The weakest link was the lack of rock solid footage -- but we are all guilty of this. Myself included. After all. We're on vacation !!

Funny. I've finished Mexico (haven't uploaded all of it yet) .. and I'm something like half done with our RCI 9 day Caribbean cruise in March of 2010. We left from Port Liberty NJ for that one. I'll try to get that posted soon so you can see it.

Again -- great job on the trailers.

Thanks Paul. Down side to doing these trailers is that you are limited to video clips and I have yet to take enough "stock footage" to use for these since it is something new for me. I am sure I can rectify that next month (heck, I am bring over 100GB of memory for pictures and video....) Already have the tripod ready to go. It definitely makes a difference. Learned that from my Panama Canal cruise. With the trailers, you do not get many options in terms of music and such. You do have to be creative with the titles and such to make it flow for what you want. We shall see if I can produce an epic from this up coming cruise. The record is a 59 minute cruise video....

Tim

Thought the video was good. I do agree with Paul about adding some titles to put some of the video into context. You used a lot of different transitions very close together. I think that makes the flow not work as well, but that is just my opinion. Also, some of the stills go bye too fast. Not sure what program you used to edit, but I know that when add stills and then put in transitions, it cuts down the time the picture is actually fully showing. For example, if I want a still to show fully for 3 seconds with transitions at the front and back, I will add it with an initial time of 5-6 seconds. Then when the transitions are added it cuts it down to to the 3 seconds depending on the transition. As for the video, camera shakes a lot and when you zoom, that exaggerates the shaking more. I have learned to be more careful and deliberate with my panning and zooming. Makes for better video in the end, but definitely something I learned the hard way. What type of camera did you use to shoot the video with anyways?

Tim

the camera is a canon power shot sx210is 14xopt 14p i like it for the ease of throwing it in my pocket Thanx for the hints

the camera is a canon power shot sx210is 14xopt 14p i like it for the ease of throwing it in my pocket Thanx for the hints

That would explain some of the shaking and zooming. I have found that P&S cameras are harder to control, particularly the smaller ones. Have a Canon SD1400IS P&S and found it difficult to get videos that are on par with my video camera. Granted, absent of being on a tripod, you still get some shake.

Here's Part 3 of Mexico Jan 2010 ..

Runs less than 4 min.

Paul,

Very nice job with this. I really like how you have used the camera to capture what people are doing. Your wife is a saint for her starring role in some of this. Flows together really well. Might have to consider doing a short "tour of the ship" for my next video or possibly a "what can you do on a cruise ship" Great work!!!!

Tim

Archived