Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Nice job Tim. Keep up the energy. I'm amazed at how you get right to editing when you get home. I'm usually a year behind.

As far as length, longer is good at first -- but as the years pass .. shorter is always better. The bridge stuff played ok. I think you captured some of the fun and compressed the timing nicely. A tripod would have helped, but I understand all about having fun (and holding a drink) while shooting a sail-away. Can't get too serious. You're on vacation!

Love the Chef's Dinner. We've done it too and it brought back memories. I agree, well worth the money. Must do at least once! .. The song at the end could be cut down -- some bumpy transitions between events -- but I'd move on with the rest of it and fix this stuff later ( if ever ) ..

I noticed your wish to have more transtions in iMovie. Personally, I try not to overwork the fancy transitions. Often a straight cut will be just as effective. My two cents. Keep going !! .. I've never been to Grand Turk!

Thanks Paul. The biggest downside to the singing clip at the Chef's Table was that I took the clip with my small Canon SD1400 camera in video mode. Needless to say, it does not perform in low light. Overall clip is much longer. I was hoping to capture his singing better. He had an amazing voice. But no such luck with the camera. Was not going to bring the video camera along or the dSLR, so I was stuck with what I had. As for the transitions, I wish there were more "simple" ones rather than the fancy or more "annoying" ones. I do agree that simplier is better.

As for Grand Turk. Flat. Not much on land, but the snorkeling and scuba is great (well at least they tell me scuba is good, but have never done it)

Thanks Marty. I try to keep the transitions consistent. I thing it works better for the viewing public than to vary the transitions. Still wish I had more options for the transitions in iMovie..... Going under the bridge was really a unique experience. Definitely something different than the rest of the cruises I have been on. Chef's Table is $75pp, but well worth it in terms of what you get (wine, cookbook, pictures, etc). Have done it 3 times and have never had a bad experience with it. Something about a 9 course meal that is outstanding. Would definitely recommend it for your cruise on the Diamond. Just don't eat much that day....:D

Get some experience with the Playsport before you go. Practice makes perfect. Are you driving up from TX?

We'll be flying up. Got a decent price on Continental, errrrr, United, but have to go to Cleveland on the way up and then a "prop job" (crop duster??) to Grand Rapids. On the way home, we have the non-stop on a regional jet from Grand Rapids to Houston. Minor inconvenience going/changing in Cleveland because it saved around $150 per ticket!

Again, enjoyed Part 2 and look forward to Part 3!!

Marty

Okay worked on Part 3 so here it is. Actually used the tripod to film going into San Juan. Definitely turns out better when the camera is on it. It was funny filming it since I had people on the balconies above me giving me weird looks.:D (yes, I am the werido with the cameras and tripod....)

Hope you all enjoy.

Tim

Okay worked on Part 3 so here it is. Actually used the tripod to film going into San Juan. Definitely turns out better when the camera is on it. It was funny filming it since I had people on the balconies above me giving me weird looks.:D (yes, I am the werido with the cameras and tripod....)

Hope you all enjoy.

Tim

Nice job, Tim. I really liked the tripod shots from San Juan. Nice and steady

I know what you mean though I used worry about what people may think when I set up for a shoot, tripod and all, but now I don't care because the results are worth it. You think its time to change up the transition fades and add something different?;)

Ted

Nice job, Tim. I really liked the tripod shots from San Juan. Nice and steady

I know what you mean though I used worry about what people may think when I set up for a shoot, tripod and all, but now I don't care because the results are worth it. You think its time to change up the transition fades and add something different?;)

Ted

Thanks Ted. I am trying to keep things consistent with this. Using the same transitions between stills and video. Also trying to use the same theme music as well. Thinking is that it will all flow together when I put this all together into the final DVD. Still have to make the "director's cut" so trying to get the feel for everything and how it looks. Spending lots of time with the time on various stills, transitions, etc. They joys of editing..........

Tim

Hope you all enjoy.

Tim

Nice Job!

I am hoping that I get to see Part 4 before we leave on Friday. ;)

If not, I will be sure to look for your video(s) when we get back from our cruise.

http://vimeo.com/channels/oasisseries

most comments are it's crowded /easy on took luggage off no line ups/took my time dining booked all shows on line no waiting they scan your cruise card you get in before the crowds so if you do that book early they have a limit to bookings

had a great time truly a ship to be seen

One for river cruisers rather than the 'open seas' cruisers CC usually caters for, but in case anyone's going, here's Prague as seen over 3 cool days in April this year

Tony,

Another job well done! You always do a good job of researching the history and providing great captions for your pictures. It is such a shame that Prague and other beautiful cities such as Budapest were seen by very few people during all the years they were behind the Iron Curtain. I plan on a return visit one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.

Ron

Hope you all enjoy.

Tim

Tim - great job on Part 3, really enjoyed it! The tripod really does make a difference coming into SJ. Is it a hassle to manuever/set-up the tripod?

Also, the transitions are great and nothing wrong with consistency.

Looking forward to Part 4!

Marty

Shore Excursion of Israel:

Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vlL3ubuYV4 to view my video Pilgrimage to Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492025&postcount=212 for information on viewing other shore excursion possibilities from the port of Ashdod or Eliat, Israel.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492103&postcount=213 for information on viewing shore excursion possibilities from the port of Haifa, Israel.

Enjoy,

Ron aka CruzerTwo

Shore Excursion of Israel:

Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vlL3ubuYV4 to view my video Pilgrimage to Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492025&postcount=212 for information on viewing other shore excursion possibilities from the port of Ashdod or Eliat, Israel.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492103&postcount=213 for information on viewing shore excursion possibilities from the port of Haifa, Israel.

Enjoy,

Ron aka CruzerTwo

Ron, Nice videos. Liked the history aspect of it. Music went very well too.

So I finally went and saw my first 3D movie last night (Pirates of the Caribbean) and now I have been up'ed a bracket. So now I am looking at Sony's 3D camera and a 3D TV, my wife is so pleased.

Have seen one or two 3D video cameras in the store. Always wondered how well they worked and if you needed the 3D TV to play it back in 3D. Can you edit in 3D in a computer and then put it back on the camera or a disc to see it in 3D? I can think of some interesting shots on a cruise in 3D. Think belly flop contest.....

Tim

So I finally went and saw my first 3D movie last night (Pirates of the Caribbean) and now I have been up'ed a bracket. So now I am looking at Sony's 3D camera and a 3D TV, my wife is so pleased.

And then you may want to shell out some $$ for Sony Vegas 10 as it has

a workflow to edit 3D footage.....;)

Ted

No problem only a small upgrade needed, working 8 right now

Very good. I have Vegas 10 at this time and love it, but have not ventured into the 3D realm yet. Not sure I will anytime soon, unless they can come up with 3D without the glasses..... lol

Ted

Hope you all enjoy.

Tim

Tim – just caught up with #3 .. Grand Turk .. cool .. I liked the underwater stuff on that little camera (did you buy one of those waterproof jobs?) .. wow .. it’s impressive for the money .. it’s also cool that YOU got into the video in your snorkeling gear .. this will mean something many years from now .. Doesn’t that little waterproof camera do sound? .. We could have used a shot of you in the water describing what fish you’d seen or something “live” … You could accomplish this with a post-production “voice over” – even now. It would add interest to know what we are seeing – but more to the point, years from now, you may forget yourself . It’s great to have the video to refer back to for lots of details you forget. Especially names of other passengers and crew who appear in the video. Who? What? Why? When? Basic story telling. Sunburn shot on your wife - family classic. She’s a good sport. Nice smooth still-to-video transition at San Juan. Can iMovie do this with a freeze frame that ramps up to video speed? I think you did it with a still and then dissolved to the video .. what ever, it worked beautifully. This is the kind of effect that does not call attention to itself but just flows along without the viewer thinking about the effect. I liked it. Tripod really helped coming into San Juan. If people give me weird looks while I'm shooting on my tripod, I smile and wave. They wave back. Isn’t it nice to work with steady footage? Tripod is a pain – but I think worth it. Should always be used when there is time and room to setup. Some nice footage on the ATV ride .. was this shot on the little camera? Did you wife do the shooting? Stills too? The stills were very nice .. could have used a little “live” sound while in the action! .. Or even right after you got off the ATV’s, in the flush of all the excitement. I mean you and your wife. What was her impression ? Worth the money honey? You could still add a VO track to give some details about that experience – I mean YOU and your Wife…still doable. Makes it more intimate – personal. Was it a highlight? Was it a Do over? .. In the swimming sequence, what were all those marks on your faces? You think you’ll always remember all about it yourself? Nice shot of the two of you. Classic. But – what exactly is it? .. Overall .. it’s good. Lots of energy. – I’d cut it down by 3 minutes. Tighten it until it hurts and add some voice over. But --- just my two cents. I know you’re still a working guy raising a family. It all takes so much time away from other things. Frankly, I’m amazed you are so productive. I give iMovie some of the credit but you’ve got the gift for this .. might be best to just move forward and save these brilliant suggestions from an old guy for the next one.

By the way, the map thing is really nice ..

Tim – just caught up with #3 .. Grand Turk .. cool .. I liked the underwater stuff on that little camera (did you buy one of those waterproof jobs?) .. wow .. it’s impressive for the money .. it’s also cool that YOU got into the video in your snorkeling gear .. this will mean something many years from now .. Doesn’t that little waterproof camera do sound? .. We could have used a shot of you in the water describing what fish you’d seen or something “live” … You could accomplish this with a post-production “voice over” – even now. It would add interest to know what we are seeing – but more to the point, years from now, you may forget yourself . It’s great to have the video to refer back to for lots of details you forget. Especially names of other passengers and crew who appear in the video. Who? What? Why? When? Basic story telling. Sunburn shot on your wife - family classic. She’s a good sport. Nice smooth still-to-video transition at San Juan. Can iMovie do this with a freeze frame that ramps up to video speed? I think you did it with a still and then dissolved to the video .. what ever, it worked beautifully. This is the kind of effect that does not call attention to itself but just flows along without the viewer thinking about the effect. I liked it. Tripod really helped coming into San Juan. If people give me weird looks while I'm shooting on my tripod, I smile and wave. They wave back. Isn’t it nice to work with steady footage? Tripod is a pain – but I think worth it. Should always be used when there is time and room to setup. Some nice footage on the ATV ride .. was this shot on the little camera? Did you wife do the shooting? Stills too? The stills were very nice .. could have used a little “live” sound while in the action! .. Or even right after you got off the ATV’s, in the flush of all the excitement. I mean you and your wife. What was her impression ? Worth the money honey? You could still add a VO track to give some details about that experience – I mean YOU and your Wife…still doable. Makes it more intimate – personal. Was it a highlight? Was it a Do over? .. In the swimming sequence, what were all those marks on your faces? You think you’ll always remember all about it yourself? Nice shot of the two of you. Classic. But – what exactly is it? .. Overall .. it’s good. Lots of energy. – I’d cut it down by 3 minutes. Tighten it until it hurts and add some voice over. But --- just my two cents. I know you’re still a working guy raising a family. It all takes so much time away from other things. Frankly, I’m amazed you are so productive. I give iMovie some of the credit but you’ve got the gift for this .. might be best to just move forward and save these brilliant suggestions from an old guy for the next one.

By the way, the map thing is really nice ..

Thanks Paul. I have toyed with doing VO a little. I did not think it came out well, but it may have more to do with needing an external mic to use to get better voice quality. Have to try that. I did realize I did less narration on my video clips in general on this cruise. So much to think of (all while trying to have fun...)

As for the underwater shots and video, I have a Canon D10 that I used. I have been pretty impressed with it. The video is standard-def. There is some audio with it, but just low underwater noise. I think it would go well with some narration, but not on it's own. I do have some better underwater stuff from the cruise which I am working on for part 4. This was when we got to swim with the turtles. Definitely trying to work in some info on those. For the ATV ride, my wife shot that with the D10 riding on the back. Turned out okay, but very hard to film and she is not as "picky" as I am with what and how I shoot. Took some of the other pictures when stopped with the dSLR. Hardest part about shooting any of this was the humidity. Lenses on everything kept fogging up.

Tripods definitely help. Granted, I think I need a lighter and smaller one that is easier to carry. Took the camera and tripod to the fireworks on Monday. Amazing what you can do when you mount the camera on a tripod.

5908978756_9bba3e6c6f_z.jpg

Still working on Part 4. This work thing is getting in my way.....

Tim

Not sure if anyone else gets Consumer Reports, but in their latest issue that rate various cameras and video cameras and such. In the article is talked about video and the various means to take video (camera in phone, P&S, dSLR, camcorder) I thought it was interesting that they noted that if you really want good video a camcorder is still the way to go. The others can do video, but they rated the camcorders as being the best at it by far. Also said that the camcorders are not as intuitive due to their features. Thought I would share.

Tim

I see some REALLY GREAT video here! I know you have to start off with good video, But what editing software is best. I've looked at some that go from $1,000 to free off the internet. I would like to know what you all use and hear first hand if you thought the software you bought was worth it.

Thanks for your help :D

Hi

I do video editing a lot. The least expensive is "final cut pro". Of course any video looks good only if the raw footage is shot professionally.

Hope this helps.

kinglear

Thanks Paul. I have toyed with doing VO a little. I did not think it came out well, but it may have more to do with needing an external mic to use to get better voice quality. Have to try that. I did realize I did less narration on my video clips in general on this cruise. So much to think of (all while trying to have fun...)

As for the underwater shots and video, I have a Canon D10 that I used. I have been pretty impressed with it. The video is standard-def. There is some audio with it, but just low underwater noise. I think it would go well with some narration, but not on it's own. I do have some better underwater stuff from the cruise which I am working on for part 4. This was when we got to swim with the turtles. Definitely trying to work in some info on those. For the ATV ride, my wife shot that with the D10 riding on the back. Turned out okay, but very hard to film and she is not as "picky" as I am with what and how I shoot. Took some of the other pictures when stopped with the dSLR. Hardest part about shooting any of this was the humidity. Lenses on everything kept fogging up.

Tripods definitely help. Granted, I think I need a lighter and smaller one that is easier to carry. Took the camera and tripod to the fireworks on Monday. Amazing what you can do when you mount the camera on a tripod.

Still working on Part 4. This work thing is getting in my way.....

Tim

Tim --- You don't need an external mic to do voice over. I sometimes just use my camcorder or even my little point and shoot camera. The quality of the sound you get from the cameras will match your "on camera" voice-overs. Just find where the mic is on the camera and speak directly into it .. maybe put an old pair of panty hose stretched on a wire hanger for a sound screen to avoid the "pops" you get with words starting with "P" ..

Keep going. But maybe try some voice over narration on the underwater stuff on Part 4. You could use the underwater live track as background audio instead of the music (or with the music if it works) .. I'd only do it if it doesn't slow you down too much. I realize you have a limited amount of time to work on these things. I really admire how quickly you get these things done...........so........no pressure.....just looking forward to Part 4.

More on little tripods when I get the chance.

Archived