Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Nice work so far Tim. Very watchable! Clearly, you are making progress. Looking forward to Bermuda. I love Bermuda. Regards Alaska! .. If at all possible, DO IT. Another place I love. Here's a taste.

College Fjord

Glacier Bay

Thanks Paul.

Not sure how well Bermuda will turn out. Took less pictures and video there for some reason (likely do to the Frog and Onion)....

Now your videos really make me want to go to Alaska. Started looking so we shall see. Really want the land portion and the train ride to the boat as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all-

Just checking back into the thread. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...but it has been hectic. Just got back from a training class in Dania Beach, FL and tomorrow, I fly out to Williamsburg, VA (via Richmond) for a conference next week.

Once I get back from Virginia, things will settle down and I'll be back on this great thread! I also still have to post the Lake Express (Lake Michigan cross-lake fast ferry) portion of my video from our summer vacation.

Hope you all are doing well!

Paul- thanks for posting the Alaska videos (again, love the way you "host" on camera; makes it seem like the viewer is standing right beside you and you are having a casual conversation!!)....I am glad we have the Diamond Princess booked! After the holidays, it won't be long until we're headed to Vancouver :rolleyes:. Can u tell I'm already excited?!

Marty (& Jeanne) Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, have a dilemma. I have the opportunity to get a Samsung HMX-W200 Waterproof HD Recording with 2.4-inch LCD Screen for my 10 year anniversary at my company (unfortunately they do not have a cruise as a gift). Well, at least that is what I think the model is since it does not give very good details on the site I have to pick the gift from, but the description generally fits. It is basically a pocket camcorder that does HD video. I do have a nice video camera already. Wondering where folks think a pocket camcorder would be more useful than a normal camcorder. It is suppose to be waterproof which might be nice to try full HD videos underwater. Would it be better than say a small P&S camera that does full HD video. Guess it would be something my DD who is 7 could play with and me not have to worry about her damaging it. What are your alls thoughts??? And in case you are wondering, the other options are not all that great. Either I already have it/something similar or not really interested (and the jewelry is too cheap to get and give to my DW as a gift.....)

Tim

Mixed reviews on this Samsung. I think you already have an underwater camera, right? .. Nothing too useful really but unless they'd just give you the money instead, sounds like it might be your best choice .. get it and sell it on Ebay .. likely you can get at least $100 for it and put that money into something useful like an H1 Zoom Recorder to do some top notch sound for your videos.

Mixed reviews on this Samsung. I think you already have an underwater camera, right? .. Nothing too useful really but unless they'd just give you the money instead, sounds like it might be your best choice .. get it and sell it on Ebay .. likely you can get at least $100 for it and put that money into something useful like an H1 Zoom Recorder to do some top notch sound for your videos.

I do have a Canon D10 that I have used underwater. No full HD, but it does a decent job. No, they will not give me the $$$. I wish. Pretty such they are getting the merchandise for much less than retail. Thought about eBay. Would likely go with something different to sell on eBay. Can get a Nikon P&S to do that with. Always looking for new options in terms of making videos..........

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody had experience with the Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 point and shoot camera?

I’m going on a Caribbean Christmas cruise with the family in December and would like to purchase an inexpensive camera for underwater photos and videos. The only negative comments I’ve read about the camera is its lack of image stabilization, which results in blurred pictures in low light situations. One of the pros is that the camera can be purchased for under $70 online.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Ron

Just picked up a new toy, a Canon T2i with an extra 55-250 lens. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

So here is the setup for the next cruise

T2i - Pictures and some video

Sony TRV25 - most of the video

Sony H7 - for wife

Playsport - for underwater

Tripod - for balcony

Monopod - for excursions

Cameras.jpg

Just picked up a new toy, a Canon T2i with an extra 55-250 lens. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

So here is the setup for the next cruise

T2i - Pictures and some video

Sony TRV25 - most of the video

Sony H7 - for wife

Playsport - for underwater

Tripod - for balcony

Monopod - for excursions

Cameras.jpg

Very nice. Now I don't feel so bad taking all my toys with me. As for learning how to use the T2i, start taking lots of pictures at different settings. Haven had my dSLR for almost a year and have taken well over 7000 pictures. Take early and often. Use lots of situations, outdoor, indoor, low light, bright sun, etc. It will help you get and idea of the cameras capabilities.

Tim

This is a very helpful thread. I don't know if I have anything useful to add but will throw in my 3 cents (inflation, you know).

I have a pretty sophisticated package from Roxio but use Windows Movie Maker (not Windows Live Movie Maker) for the vast majority of my videos. Side note: The bride and I have only done three cruises so I only have three cruise videos. To see other examples search for gymnast1946 in YouTube.com.

Many of the videos I do are comprised of stills alone or stills in conjunction with video footage. My camcorder is a Sony 8m and not HD. Frankly, my iPhone takes sharper videos. I do plan on getting a GoPro soon. I'd rather focus on getting better stills. I use a late model Canon DSLR and carry a monopod on trips. I use PhotoShop to tweak the saturation of many of the shots. Windows Movie Maker's pan and zoom effects aren't the best. I bought an inexpensive aftermarket package from pixelan.com that provides more professional effects. I'd suggest avoiding the overuse of transition effects.

You may have already seen this one but I'll post it again. The folks at Royal Caribbean got a kick out of it.

Very nice. Now I don't feel so bad taking all my toys with me. As for learning how to use the T2i, start taking lots of pictures at different settings. Haven had my dSLR for almost a year and have taken well over 7000 pictures. Take early and often. Use lots of situations, outdoor, indoor, low light, bright sun, etc. It will help you get and idea of the cameras capabilities.

Tim

No problem taking a lot of test pictures the camera hasn't been out of my hands yet. We had to go to NYC this weekend so I did some shooting down there. If I remember you mentioned a while ago that video on the DSLR is a bit awkward, and I am finding that is the case. I hope it is just something I have to get use to. I am not really thrilled that I can only take a 12 minute video in one take, I am limited to 4GB per take. I have 36 days to get a handle on the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw this on a photography site and had to share it here

I have not tried this but I think it would have serious limits vs a tripod. No way to tilt up or down effectively -- but it would probably do OK for some situations. Might be fatiguing for longer shots -- clearly would not work for time lapse.

Has anyone tired this yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks - still alive...just a quick hello. When I have more time, I will catch up on these posts.

I've done some editing of our Michigan/Wisconsin video from our trip last July up there. As mentioned, I will post the Lake Express Ferry portion of the video on here (our summer cruise :p).

Ran into a glitch uploading Part 2 to this video to Photobucket. Game me an error code and said it had copyrighted content on the video. Nevr had this problem before with Photobucket. For music for the videos, I usually buy & download songs from iTunes store. Part 1 uploaded fine and had such material, but had a problem with Part 2.

Anybody else experience this?

Marty

Hi folks - still alive...just a quick hello. When I have more time, I will catch up on these posts.

I've done some editing of our Michigan/Wisconsin video from our trip last July up there. As mentioned, I will post the Lake Express Ferry portion of the video on here (our summer cruise :p).

Ran into a glitch uploading Part 2 to this video to Photobucket. Game me an error code and said it had copyrighted content on the video. Nevr had this problem before with Photobucket. For music for the videos, I usually buy & download songs from iTunes store. Part 1 uploaded fine and had such material, but had a problem with Part 2.

Anybody else experience this?

Marty

Marty,

I have had this issue with youtube. Apparently just because you buy the music does not give you the right to use it in a public broadcast or something like that It has to do with who owns the music (e.g. Warner Music Group, Sony, etc) Some owners are not as stickler as others or have issues with youtube or photobucket. I think it basically comes down to the owners wanting revenue from the music. Some of the music works fine and other stuff does not and you never know. Henceforth the reason I switch to Vimeo since I have yet to experience that issue with them.

Do you have the link to part 1? Would love to check it out.

Tim

It's a thorny issue especially with YouTube. They even nailed me for using Haydn and Schubert. Guess someone is still laying claim to their work. They will substitute other music but it's pretty lame. Like Tim, I'll use Vimeo when that happens.

There are some artists out there who are happy to let you use their music for free but it takes some serious googling to find them.

http://vimeo.com/channels/208325#32187645

just found this video above

camera using canon powershot sx210is 14x's i like this size to just throw in my pocket i carry it with my all the time

video:-powerdirector 10

you can produce your vid in the produce area it has direct upload to , vimeo,you tube ,

i also have a cane that i made from a broken golf club fashioned a handle to fit using a 1/4 inch x20 threaded bolt fastend in the narrow end of the shaft with gorilla glue and use it to steady the camera and then as a walking stick the 1/4x20 fits all cameras

Marty,

I have had this issue with youtube. Apparently just because you buy the music does not give you the right to use it in a public broadcast or something like that It has to do with who owns the music (e.g. Warner Music Group, Sony, etc) Some owners are not as stickler as others or have issues with youtube or photobucket. I think it basically comes down to the owners wanting revenue from the music. Some of the music works fine and other stuff does not and you never know. Henceforth the reason I switch to Vimeo since I have yet to experience that issue with them.

Do you have the link to part 1? Would love to check it out.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks, great information. If I continue to have this problem with Photobucket, I may switch to Vimeo. Do you have to pay an annual fee for extra space?

I will jump back on my editing this weekend or definitely this Thanksgiving week. I haven't got the Lake Express part done yet, but as soon as I do, I will post on here. Thanks for your interest. Maybe I can post a couple a pics as an appetizer...

Marty

It's a thorny issue especially with YouTube. They even nailed me for using Haydn and Schubert. Guess someone is still laying claim to their work. They will substitute other music but it's pretty lame. Like Tim, I'll use Vimeo when that happens.

There are some artists out there who are happy to let you use their music for free but it takes some serious googling to find them.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I can't understand it because I pay for the song on iTunes, so it is not like I am using it for free and I'm not redistributing it, just putting it on a photoshare site...

Marty

http://vimeo.com/channels/208325#32187645

just found this video above

camera using canon powershot sx210is 14x's i like this size to just throw in my pocket i carry it with my all the time

video:-powerdirector 10

you can produce your vid in the produce area it has direct upload to , vimeo,you tube ,

i also have a cane that i made from a broken golf club fashioned a handle to fit using a 1/4 inch x20 threaded bolt fastend in the narrow end of the shaft with gorilla glue and use it to steady the camera and then as a walking stick the 1/4x20 fits all cameras

Enjoyed the video! Loved the effects with the stills and also the inserts of the historical footage.

Marty

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Sony Vegas Movie Studio for $79 on Amazon. It had a $20 rebate inside so I practically got it for $59 and it does wonders.

If you're the type that just wants to drag & drop pictures to music, you can get away with getting a simple program, like Muvee. But if you want to tweak every little bit, bigger software like Sony and such is worth it.

Either way, it's all about the fun!

Thanks DeLoreanGirl- I've heard some good things about Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I have a Sony Hanycam HDR-XR500V, so this editing software would probably mesh very well.

All- still owe you a cross-Lake (Michigan) ferry video from last summer! Sorry it is taking so long...

Marty

Archived