Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Finally finished the video from our November cruise

Great video. I just got off the same itinerary last Saturday aboard the Grand Princess. Got to work on my video from that cruise. I like the underwater work, especially looking at the pier at Princess Cays and the boat in Aruba. Funny how you guys had elevator problems as well. Saw the same thing on the Grand. I take it that most of the out of water work was done with the T2i? What lens did you use? I did a little video with my 60D and it came out decent. The low light stuff, not as well.

Tim

232563680_200.jpg

Please click Still for video

I use various Programs. Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus, Pinn 14U, Sony Vegas 10.0. Corel po X3. I find I always come back to Magix, as it is an easier program to work with, the older version, 15 plus, while newer one's hidden in the program, are your efx, trans etc.

To just buy one, you must learn it, some will be esay, some hard. take thetime. no special fades are needed to look professional. Just simple cross fading. Never a pro.

Looking o use Red Giant magic Bullet, to make an explosive colringvideo,

Enjoy theclip in the still. Wishing the site would have opened video paisting to bad only links and limited time, croud control, internet control ha ha ha.

good day and happy cruising

Great video. I just got off the same itinerary last Saturday aboard the Grand Princess. Got to work on my video from that cruise. I like the underwater work, especially looking at the pier at Princess Cays and the boat in Aruba. Funny how you guys had elevator problems as well. Saw the same thing on the Grand. I take it that most of the out of water work was done with the T2i? What lens did you use? I did a little video with my 60D and it came out decent. The low light stuff, not as well.

Tim

Yes, everything dry was shot on the T2i. I took my video camera but didn't use it once. I was really worried as I didn't have a lot of time doing video before the trip with this camera. I was just using the kit 18-55 lens for video, I used the 200mm for pictures but it would have been to shaky for video. I was happy enough with the out come and probably won't even bring the video camera next cruise.

I had to buy a new computer to be able to handle the HD files and upgraded to Vegas 11. Vegas has a "youtube" rendering feature that is very cool, you just hit the "youtube" button and Vegas renders and uploads your file to Youtube.

The next cruise won't be for a while as my wife has a book coming out next summer and we have to use our holidays for appearances so there will be no Team Snow 2012 video. So I will have to live through you guys next year.

Yes, everything dry was shot on the T2i. I took my video camera but didn't use it once. I was really worried as I didn't have a lot of time doing video before the trip with this camera. I was just using the kit 18-55 lens for video, I used the 200mm for pictures but it would have been to shaky for video. I was happy enough with the out come and probably won't even bring the video camera next cruise.

I had to buy a new computer to be able to handle the HD files and upgraded to Vegas 11. Vegas has a "youtube" rendering feature that is very cool, you just hit the "youtube" button and Vegas renders and uploads your file to Youtube.

The next cruise won't be for a while as my wife has a book coming out next summer and we have to use our holidays for appearances so there will be no Team Snow 2012 video. So I will have to live through you guys next year.

I have only done limited video with my Canon D60. Has turned out okay. I agree about not using a long lens for video as it would be shaky. I have a 10-22 ultra wide angle lens which I have tried a few times with okay results. Love it for pictures.

I hear you about a new computer to handle the HD video. Had the same issue a few years back. Older Mac would not handle the avchd video so I had to upgrade (I know, bad problem to have.....:D) What did you upgrade to? iMovie has a similar feature that allows you to upload to youtube, vimeo, etc. Down side is that it is limited in the size it will allow you to send. Usually about 1GB.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!!!!!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Got a little segment done on my recent S. Caribbean cruise. Enjoy!! I am sure this one will be edited shortly.........or I am in trouble........

Tim

Once again, nice job Tim. I like the use of live sound with the family. Enjoyed the piece!

Once again, nice job Tim. I like the use of live sound with the family. Enjoyed the piece!

Thanks Paul. The sound was a little low on the live sound. I tried to kick it up a notch in iMovie. Hope it was okay. Can't remember if I used the directional mic or not. Need to try using that inside without the windscreen. Don't really need it there. Got to work on the rest of it. Granted, today I get to shovel snow.....

Tim

I bought the Sony Vegas Movie Studio for $79 on Amazon. It had a $20 rebate inside so I practically got it for $59 and it does wonders.

If you're the type that just wants to drag & drop pictures to music, you can get away with getting a simple program, like Muvee. But if you want to tweak every little bit, bigger software like Sony and such is worth it.

I use Pinnacle Studio. Started with Version 8 which was on a 100% rebate. I have upgraded over the years, again with full rebate, to Studio 15 now. I use it for videos taken with my Canon camcorder.

Most of the time I take pictures and short video clips with my Panasonic Lumix P&S shoot camera. I edit those into videos using Windows Live Movie Maker, which is very easy to use but without all the features of Studio.

You can find my You Tube videos at the link in my signature. BTW, most of my videos get a warning about 3rd party music content. Some are banned in countries like Germany. Yes, it is strange that you cannot use music that you paid for!

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to get your folks thoughts in this camera.

ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Hands-free-Camcorder-Newest-Model/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328557671&sr=8-1

Looks pretty simple to operate and lots of mounting options. Would give an interesting perspective on things. Could mount to the front of a car, on a bike, etc. I was thinking a little about a hat mount. Going to Alaska this summer so this is going to be my video/photograph nirvana. Why not get some more toys to play with..

Marty - When are you going to Alaska and what is your itinerary? We are going 5/31/12 and are on the Coral Princess south bound after the land tour.

Tim

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Hands-free-Camcorder-Newest-Model/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328557671&sr=8-1

L

Tim

Looks very cool with endless possibilities. Would make for some interesting add on footage to the main video. In a totally selfish move I say buy it, then I will wait for your review before I commit :D. Nice and easy to pack also.

Tim,

Just another option, but look at the Go Pro camera. http://gopro.com/ This thing can do some cool stuff. I'm thinking about getting this as my next toy :D A friend of mine just bought one. He loves it. I haven't done my reading up on it yet. But thought I would pass this on to you.

Ang

Tim,

Just another option, but look at the Go Pro camera. http://gopro.com/ This thing can do some cool stuff. I'm thinking about getting this as my next toy :D A friend of mine just bought one. He loves it. I haven't done my reading up on it yet. But thought I would pass this on to you.

Ang

I was looking at that one as well. It seemed a little more bulky and boxy than the Contour ROAM. Also more $$$. I do like the more compactness of the ContourROAM and I think easier to strap to me. One idea I had is to strap this thing to the balcony when we go to Glacier Bay National Park and let it snap a picture ever 10 seconds or so. Would make for an interesting video/still tour through the area and I would not have to do anything (I will be roaming all over the ship with camera's galore that day :D) We are also doing a seaplane and helicopter tour while up there and I was thinking of how to mount the camera on those to capture the view. Trying to figure out how to get into the front seat of the helicopter......(I am just glad I do not have to fast rope out of it or jump out of it this time....) I think I might need to get this well in advance to get some decent time to play around with it to get decent shots. Would be very easy to jerk the camera around on a head mount.

Tim

Alright Tim I am in, for $200 and only $39 for the housing how can you not buy it. My Playsport is only good to 10' and this would go to 60. Also I always wanted a dash cam and this would be great for that. Just think you could strap it on to one of your kids and get that point of view while you are shooting other stuff.

On a totally unrelated not I now have a Kodak Playsport for sale.

Alright Tim I am in, for $200 and only $39 for the housing how can you not buy it. My Playsport is only good to 10' and this would go to 60. Also I always wanted a dash cam and this would be great for that. Just think you could strap it on to one of your kids and get that point of view while you are shooting other stuff.

Not sure about getting the waterproof case right now. Camera is already designed to be outdoors and I am pretty sure there will be no snorkeling in Alaska. Looks like it holds up well in outdoors and 1-2ft underwater (aka, fall in depth) That would be funny to put it on my DD. I was actually thinking of strapping it to my dog while I walked her, that would give me an interesting perspective.....Actually, I am thinking of how to mount it to a backpack strap. Would be easy to use when hiking and such. Guess we shall see......When is that tax refund coming......

Tim

Not sure about getting the waterproof case right now. Camera is already designed to be outdoors and I am pretty sure there will be no snorkeling in Alaska. Looks like it holds up well in outdoors and 1-2ft underwater (aka, fall in depth) That would be funny to put it on my DD. I was actually thinking of strapping it to my dog while I walked her, that would give me an interesting perspective.....Actually, I am thinking of how to mount it to a backpack strap. Would be easy to use when hiking and such. Guess we shall see......When is that tax refund coming......

Tim

Exactly, the uses are endless, I am thinking of how to mount it to my dive mask. I have some time as we have to take this year off form cruising (maybe Dec hopefully). I would love to attach it to my dog, she chases deer around my house all the time and I would love to capture that. You could get real "National Geographic" with this camera.

I just saw an article that Kodak is getting out of the digital camera/digital capture business. Looks like the Playsport will be going away anyways or at least it will be made by someone other than Kodak.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/09/technology/kodak_digital_cameras/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

I just saw an article that Kodak is getting out of the digital camera/digital capture business. Looks like the Playsport will be going away anyways or at least it will be made by someone other than Kodak.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/09/technology/kodak_digital_cameras/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

Yeah I just saw that.

On a totally unrelated note I have just dropped the price on my playsport

Hi everyone, still here but very late on getting last summer's video completed :o. Been one distraction after another...(that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Tim- we are sailing northbound on Diamond Princess on 5/26 out of Vancouver. Looks like we will meet (2 ships passing in the night :p?). What are your port calls/dates? Here's ours;

Ketchikan - 5/28

Juneau - 5/29

Skagway - 5/30

Glacier Bay - 5/31

College Fjord - 6/01

Whittier - 6/02

We are on the Princess Connoisseur Cruisetour, so after the 7 day cruise, we have 5 days/nights in Alaska (plus, we added 1 more night in Anchorage before flying home).

Marty

Hi everyone, still here but very late on getting last summer's video completed :o. Been one distraction after another...(that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Tim- we are sailing northbound on Diamond Princess on 5/26 out of Vancouver. Looks like we will meet (2 ships passing in the night :p?). What are your port calls/dates? Here's ours;

Ketchikan - 5/28

Juneau - 5/29

Skagway - 5/30

Glacier Bay - 5/31

College Fjord - 6/01

Whittier - 6/02

We are on the Princess Connoisseur Cruisetour, so after the 7 day cruise, we have 5 days/nights in Alaska (plus, we added 1 more night in Anchorage before flying home).

Marty

Looks like we will be passing each other. We fly up to Anchorage on 5/31 (from Chicago to Dallas to Anchorage, go figure) What does the land portion look like? I know there are a number of different ways the tours work.

5/31 - Anchorage

6/1 - Mckinley Lodge

6/2 - Denali Lodge

6/3 - Denali Lodge

6/4 - Train to Ship

6/5 - Hubbard Glacier

6/6 - Glacier Bay National Park

6/7 - Skagway

6/8 - Juneau

6/9 - Ketchikan

Sea Day

6/11 Vancouver and fly home.

Looks like we will be passing each other. We fly up to Anchorage on 5/31 (from Chicago to Dallas to Anchorage, go figure) What does the land portion look like? I know there are a number of different ways the tours work.

5/31 - Anchorage

6/1 - Mckinley Lodge

6/2 - Denali Lodge

6/3 - Denali Lodge

6/4 - Train to Ship

6/5 - Hubbard Glacier

6/6 - Glacier Bay National Park

6/7 - Skagway

6/8 - Juneau

6/9 - Ketchikan

Sea Day

6/11 Vancouver and fly home.

Tim - looks like we'll be at the Denali Lodge at the same time! Here's our land portion (post-cruise);

6/2- Denali Lodge

6/3- Denali Lodge

6/4- Mt. McKinley Lodge

6/5- Mt. McKinley Lodge

6/6- Anchorage Hotel (Capt Cook)

6/7- Anchorage Hotel (Capt Cook)

6/8- flight home (non-stop from Anchorage to Houston; 6 hrs 44 min!)

Marty

Tim - looks like we'll be at the Denali Lodge at the same time! Here's our land portion (post-cruise);

6/2- Denali Lodge

6/3- Denali Lodge

6/4- Mt. McKinley Lodge

6/5- Mt. McKinley Lodge

6/6- Anchorage Hotel (Capt Cook)

6/7- Anchorage Hotel (Capt Cook)

6/8- flight home (non-stop from Anchorage to Houston; 6 hrs 44 min!)

Marty

Looks like you are doing our tour in reverse, but with more time at each place. Do you take the train up from the ship to Denali??

We will definitely have to hook up in Denali. I would love to hear about the cruise portion and get some tips on what, when, where are good filming opportunities. Anything planned in Denali?? I know we have the natural history tour which is part of our land tour. Have no idea what else we are going to do yet. Well other than me taking a whole lot of pictures and video. I am bringing all my toys and then some. :D

I hear you about the 6hr and 44minute flight. We have basically the same thing coming up from Dallas to Anchorage (not to mention the flight from Chicago to Dallas) Will be a long day traveling.....

Tim

Looks like you are doing our tour in reverse, but with more time at each place. Do you take the train up from the ship to Denali??

We will definitely have to hook up in Denali. I would love to hear about the cruise portion and get some tips on what, when, where are good filming opportunities. Anything planned in Denali?? I know we have the natural history tour which is part of our land tour. Have no idea what else we are going to do yet. Well other than me taking a whole lot of pictures and video. I am bringing all my toys and then some. :D

I hear you about the 6hr and 44minute flight. We have basically the same thing coming up from Dallas to Anchorage (not to mention the flight from Chicago to Dallas) Will be a long day traveling.....

Tim

Hi Tim;

Yes, we're on the "Denali Express" and will board the train right from the dock in Whittier. We are on the Princess Connoisseur Cruisetour (RA5). What I like about this, is that besides a couple of lunches, all the meals are included in the tour. We have 2 nights at Princess's Denali Lodge, 2 nights at Princess's Mt McKinnley Lodge and 1 night at the Capt Cook Hotel in Anchorage, which we have extended 1 additional night. In Denali, we're booked on the Tundra Wilderness Tour (as part of RA5).

We were fortunate to have enough Continental One Pass (reward) miles to fly home 1st class (thank God!) Flying to Vancouver, we fly coach but we bought an exit row (I'm tall, so I definitely need the extra legroom. Oh how I relish the days when you could get the exit row at no extra cost, just had to be quick with the mouse...)

We fly up to Vancouver on May 22nd (but don't arrive until 11:42 pm). But, we'll still have 3 full days in Vancouver prior to the cruise. We plan on taking a day trip to Victoria on one of the days.

Yes, we'll definitely have to get together in Denali! I remember all the images I had when we toured Italy and sailed the Med on Carnival Dream back in Oct 2009, so I'm sure there will be the same amount of images (or more) for this wonderful Alaskan adventure!

Take care,

Marty

Archived