Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Once in a while I post a video on Tripfilm.com ... It's a whole website devoted to just "trip videos" .. They have some good advice about how to make a trip video .. Of course, in the end, it's your video .. as I like to say, "You're head of the studio. You have "final cut". You're the boss.

http://www.tripfilms.com/Travel_Video-v66770-New_York_City-How_to_Make_a_Travel_Video-Video.html

So what fun is going on a cruise if you cannot start making some videos ahead of time.....Put together a little trailer for our up coming cruise to Alaska. DW likes to sleep so she has earned the nick name Princess Nap-A-Lot. So we are going to have an Alaskan adventure with Princess Nap-A-Lot.

Good thing DW also has a sense of humor......

Tim

Tim, Another fun trailer. Better be careful of Nap-a-lot. She knows how to use the camera also.....lol.

To All... Tim and I have made Trailers for a past cruise. The other members on cruise critic really enjoyed it as it brought the excitement of the coming cruise closer with each one we made.

You'll not in my signature that I have made my most recent Trailer for our upcoming Allure of the Seas cruise. Check it owwwt! My versio of..2012.

....John

While she may know how to use a camera, there is still the editing part. I can always password protect iMovie..........:D:D:D

Tim... did you ever continue the film? I 've been waiting for BERMUDA!

........ John

Tim & John- loved the trailers! Tim- yes, good thing your wife has a good sense of humor, or instead of the land of the never-ending-sun, your camera might end up where the "sun don't shine" ;)

Paul- good to see your posts again and I'll definitely check out more of your World Cruise 2008 images.

O.k., no excuses this weekend (rain all weekend here in Housto) ...time to get back in the editing saddle and finish my Michigan video from last summer. As promised, I will post the cross-lake Michigan ferry footage on this forum, as I'm counting it as a "cruise" :p. Sorry for the delay :o.

Take care all and have a good weekend! Btw- I'll keep checking back in/posting more frequently...

Marty

Got the Contour ROAM camera for my birthday from DW. It is an interesting little toy. So far I have learned it is a better outside toy than inside and the more light the better. Very easy to use. Now for the real trick, trying to strap it to my dog and get a dogs perspective of the world......I'll post some footage shortly. You have to use Contour's program to download, then export, and finally import to be able to use the footage in iMovie. The other down side is that to change settings on the camera (e.g from 1080p to photo mode) you have to connect it to a computer. Have to think how I can change the settings in Alaska without a computer. Had a thought of strapping the think to the balcony while in Glacier Bay and doing a little time-lapse photography with it. Now, how do I get DW to lug her laptop with her.......

Okay, so I went out yesterday and tried out the Contour ROAM. Put a couple examples so you can see the output. One is when it was attached to the dog, who was not very thrilled with me. The second is when I strapped it to my DD bike. I used a gorilla tripod to attached it to both. Of worthy notice, dogs don't like tripod..... It is a very wide field of view. Sound is not great. Video quality is decent. I took the video at 1080p. Let me know what you think.

Tim

http://vimeo.com/38689290

http://vimeo.com/38686217

Okay, so I went out yesterday and tried out the Contour ROAM. Put a couple examples so you can see the output. One is when it was attached to the dog, who was not very thrilled with me. The second is when I strapped it to my DD bike. I used a gorilla tripod to attached it to both. Of worthy notice, dogs don't like tripod..... It is a very wide field of view. Sound is not great. Video quality is decent. I took the video at 1080p. Let me know what you think.

Tim

http://vimeo.com/38689290

http://vimeo.com/38686217

Tim.... off to a good start with it. You should have some fun as you go.

....John

Tim & John- loved the trailers! Tim- yes, good thing your wife has a good sense of humor, or instead of the land of the never-ending-sun, your camera might end up where the "sun don't shine" ;)

Paul- good to see your posts again and I'll definitely check out more of your World Cruise 2008 images.

O.k., no excuses this weekend (rain all weekend here in Housto) ...time to get back in the editing saddle and finish my Michigan video from last summer. As promised, I will post the cross-lake Michigan ferry footage on this forum, as I'm counting it as a "cruise" :p. Sorry for the delay :o.

Take care all and have a good weekend! Btw- I'll keep checking back in/posting more frequently...

Marty

Marty....... your line "where the sun don't shine" made me laugh. Good thing his DW is a very good sport. I'm waiting for her to have a hidden cam of her own in the future.....lol

...John :D

Tim,

I think you will do great with this. Throw some music to the bike video and you have no more sound problems! This looks like it will do good on the drive-by of the Glacier in Alaska. or should I have said sail-by or is it cruise-by?

That was my thought exactly. Audio is not great and I think this camera is going to much more for action shots or more prolonged static shooting. I am hoping they will let be attach it to the window on the helicopter and float plane while we are flying.

Hey Tim,

After a couple of years when that contour isn't new anymore strap it on to your luggage just before you hand it to the porter so we can see the journey up to your stateroom.

That's funny. When I saw this I though I could have done something like that with my bag today as I fly to San Jose. Always wondered how the bag goes.... I will have to look at strapping it on my carrying on luggage at some point. A luggage view as we board..or go through the airport......

Speaking of baggage...... I once had the opportunity to be working at a terminal at JFK some years ago. Did you ever wonder how your luggage arrives at the baggage carousel? Those little tractors and trailers pull up on the other side of the wall and the baggage handler basically tosses them off the carts. They grab and pull and let gravity slam them to the conveyor belt.... all unseen by you. If I told you what else I saw you would say you didn't believe it. So if you ever wonder why things are broken, dented or scratched.........guess again. So....... I wonder what a mini cam might show....lol.

...John

Hi everyone- I'm still here and checking in :)! Came down with a cold yesterday, just in time for the weekend :(. However, this cold will keep me in more this weekend, so I should be able to finish my last summer video, including the Lake Express footage, which I will post on here :rolleyes:.

Appreciate all your comments & postings! Tim- look forward to meeting you up in Alaska and sharing some video/editing experiences :)!!

Take care!

Marty

Hi - well, I finally got the "cruise" (Lake Express fast ferry) portion of my video done and it is posted here;

th_f7e7c42b.jpg

I know you all have been anxiously awaiting this :p. I'm actually pleased with it....#1, I didn't have any copyright problem with the music and the upload. However, the upload to Photobucket still causes "jerkiness" and audio skips/repeats. I think I will still switch to Vimeo.

Let me know what you think...feedback welcome :)! Be gentle with me...was a little "rusty" :p.

Marty

Hi - well, I finally got the "cruise" (Lake Express fast ferry) portion of my video done and it is posted here;

th_f7e7c42b.jpg

I know you all have been anxiously awaiting this :p. I'm actually pleased with it....#1, I didn't have any copyright problem with the music and the upload. However, the upload to Photobucket still causes "jerkiness" and audio skips/repeats. I think I will still switch to Vimeo.

Let me know what you think...feedback welcome :)! Be gentle with me...was a little "rusty" :p.

Marty

Very nice Marty. I really liked the shot you got when you were departing into the sunset. The lighting and everything was just perfect. Also like the low shot you got of the ferry entering the harbor in the beginning. The low level worked. Funny how you could not hear anything when you were on deck with the wind. How fast did that ferry go anyways? Comments fit in nicely.

Ready for Alaska???? Figured out how to mount the Contour camera on my backpack strap so I can use it while I walk.

Tim

Very nice Marty. I really liked the shot you got when you were departing into the sunset. The lighting and everything was just perfect. Also like the low shot you got of the ferry entering the harbor in the beginning. The low level worked. Funny how you could not hear anything when you were on deck with the wind. How fast did that ferry go anyways? Comments fit in nicely.

Ready for Alaska???? Figured out how to mount the Contour camera on my backpack strap so I can use it while I walk.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback Tim. The vessel does 34 knots (40 mph). On our first trip, from Michigan to Wisconsin, the weather and Lake Michigan got a little "snotty". Nothing bad, but you could feel it on the boat (being a catarmaran helps the ride, for sure).

On the return trip from Wisconsin to Michigan, it was very early in the morning, and Lake Michigan was like glass (as you saw). Much smoother ride.

We were camping on a channel where the ferry comes by, so as we were swimming/playing in Muskegon Lake, I took those low shots of the ferry seemingly coming right at us. The vessel uses water jet propulsion, so it is basically one big "jet ski".

Marty

Btw- yes, definitely ready for the Alaska Adventure. We'll see you up there!

Got a question. Does anyone know how to record a tour on Google Earth and then export it into a format that you can use in a video??

Tim

I have not tried this, but you should be able to do a "screen capture" to make a video of the Google Earth tour. I use some freeware for screen capture called BB FLashback Express. You can download it here after entering your e-mail address: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBackExpress/Download.aspx

This software gives you an AVI file that could then be converted to what ever format you need.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone- I'm still here and checking in :)! Came down with a cold yesterday, just in time for the weekend :(. However, this cold will keep me in more this weekend, so I should be able to finish my last summer video, including the Lake Express footage, which I will post on here :rolleyes:.

Appreciate all your comments & postings! Tim- look forward to meeting you up in Alaska and sharing some video/editing experiences :)!!

Take care!

Marty

Marty - You are going to be in Alaska at Denali lodge on 6/3 correct?? We are going rafting that morning. Plan on strapping the Contour Roam to my helmet. Will be interesting to see how this comes out as we go through the class III & IV rapids.

Marty - You are going to be in Alaska at Denali lodge on 6/3 correct?? We are going rafting that morning. Plan on strapping the Contour Roam to my helmet. Will be interesting to see how this comes out as we go through the class III & IV rapids.

Hi Tim- yes, we wil be at the Denal Lodge on June 3rd. We will be going on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which departs at 7 am but will be back around 3:30 pm.

Getting close now!

Marty

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tim- yes, we wil be at the Denal Lodge on June 3rd. We will be going on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which departs at 7 am but will be back around 3:30 pm.

Getting close now!

Marty

Marty - if you want to shoot me a note at t.mitchell21 at frontier.com we can figure out how to meet up at Denali. We are doing whitewater rafting in the morning and then heading into Denali afterwards (provided we have not falling in the river and are frozen, that would be interesting to watch on video....)

Getting very close.

Tim

Marty - if you want to shoot me a note at t.mitchell21 at frontier.com we can figure out how to meet up at Denali. We are doing whitewater rafting in the morning and then heading into Denali afterwards (provided we have not falling in the river and are frozen, that would be interesting to watch on video....)

Getting very close.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks...will definitely send you an e-mail. Looking forward to meeting you in Denali.

Marty

Archived