Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Hi Tim;

Yes, we're on the "Denali Express" and will board the train right from the dock in Whittier. We are on the Princess Connoisseur Cruisetour (RA5). What I like about this, is that besides a couple of lunches, all the meals are included in the tour. We have 2 nights at Princess's Denali Lodge, 2 nights at Princess's Mt McKinnley Lodge and 1 night at the Capt Cook Hotel in Anchorage, which we have extended 1 additional night. In Denali, we're booked on the Tundra Wilderness Tour (as part of RA5).

We were fortunate to have enough Continental One Pass (reward) miles to fly home 1st class (thank God!) Flying to Vancouver, we fly coach but we bought an exit row (I'm tall, so I definitely need the extra legroom. Oh how I relish the days when you could get the exit row at no extra cost, just had to be quick with the mouse...)

We fly up to Vancouver on May 22nd (but don't arrive until 11:42 pm). But, we'll still have 3 full days in Vancouver prior to the cruise. We plan on taking a day trip to Victoria on one of the days.

Yes, we'll definitely have to get together in Denali! I remember all the images I had when we toured Italy and sailed the Med on Carnival Dream back in Oct 2009, so I'm sure there will be the same amount of images (or more) for this wonderful Alaskan adventure!

Take care,

Marty

Your tour sounds great. I would love to hear how you liked the train. That was one thing I really wanted. I still have my elite status on AA so I put us in First Class on AA up to Anchorage so that will be nice (just had to make sure there is someone there to meet us an guide us to the hotel....:D) Unfortunately, AA has no flights home that worked for us in Vancouver, so we are slumming it on Delta.

I decided to rent a longer lens for my dSLR. I am renting a Canon 100-400L. I have a 70-300, but figured why not go longer in Alaska. Wondering how well it will do with video. Needless to say it will have a much longer reach than my video camera. I can only imaging how much video and pictures I will take. Already increasing my memory card capacity. 144GB should work........

Your tour sounds great. I would love to hear how you liked the train. That was one thing I really wanted. I still have my elite status on AA so I put us in First Class on AA up to Anchorage so that will be nice (just had to make sure there is someone there to meet us an guide us to the hotel....:D) Unfortunately, AA has no flights home that worked for us in Vancouver, so we are slumming it on Delta.

I decided to rent a longer lens for my dSLR. I am renting a Canon 100-400L. I have a 70-300, but figured why not go longer in Alaska. Wondering how well it will do with video. Needless to say it will have a much longer reach than my video camera. I can only imaging how much video and pictures I will take. Already increasing my memory card capacity. 144GB should work........

Thanks Tim.

Looks like we'll be doing the choo-choo's alot up there. We're also considering the White Pass RR out of Skagway (take the van back, so we have time left to tour Skagway).

This will be a family cruise/adventure for us, as my mom-in-law, brother-in-law and niece will be joining us. Can't wait!!

Marty

Thanks Tim.

Looks like we'll be doing the choo-choo's alot up there. We're also considering the White Pass RR out of Skagway (take the van back, so we have time left to tour Skagway).

This will be a family cruise/adventure for us, as my mom-in-law, brother-in-law and niece will be joining us. Can't wait!!

Marty

Sounds like a great time with the family. DW and I are doing this for our 10 year anniversary.

We are doing the White Pass RR as well. We signed up for the heli-hike-tran tour. Basically we take a helicopter ride, then a 4-5 mile hike to the train, and train back down. This is one reason I am considering the Contour ROAM camera. Want to mount it on a backpack strap while I hike. Also because it is basically all weather and can handle a moist environment. Your playsport will come in handy as well. Not sure what I am going to do or can do in the helicopter (I am just glad not to be jumping out of it or fast roping out of it again....:cool:) Would love to be able to mount the camera in a fixed position and then use the other cameras while we fly. I am thinking I am going to have to give DW some training on camera use before we go (or at least teach her how to turn it back to Auto:p)

I did run across this video on Alaska. Very well done (granted with a better toy than I have) and can give you some ideas about filming.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Congrats on your upcoming 10 year anniversary! We originally designated this cruise as our honeymoon but changed it into a family cruise with all the family coming. My wife & I got engaged in Venice, Italy during our Carnival Dream Grand Med cruise in Oct 2009.

That helicopter, hike & train tour sounds like a great time. If it were just Jeanne & I, we'd jump at that also but with my mom-in-law, the hike would be a no-go. She's still active and her mobility good, but a 4-5 mile hike would be too much. I understand there is a tour operator that combines the train up and then you can take a van back (with an optional stop at a dog sled facility).

I remember that video you posted and it is excellent. The quality of the images are fantastic. I think the guy that posted it is professional or semi-profesional videographer.

I am thinking about switching from Photobucket to Vimeo. How do you like Vimeo? I had a music copy problem with Photbucket (I had even purchased the music off itunes store) but what really aggravated me was that Photobucket doesn't tell you upfront when you start uploading, so you wait & wait and wait only to get the fail upload message. And...don't understand because I had never had a problem previously with any of the music I had used (all from itunes store). I saw with Vimeo, they have a special section for music to add to your videos without the copyright headaches..I like this feature very much.

Anyway, hope you're having a great weekend!

Marty

Wanted to get your folks thoughts in this camera.

ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Hands-free-Camcorder-Newest-Model/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328557671&sr=8-1

Looks pretty simple to operate and lots of mounting options. Would give an interesting perspective on things. Could mount to the front of a car, on a bike, etc. I was thinking a little about a hat mount. Going to Alaska this summer so this is going to be my video/photograph nirvana. Why not get some more toys to play with..

Marty - When are you going to Alaska and what is your itinerary? We are going 5/31/12 and are on the Coral Princess south bound after the land tour.

Tim

Tim....... planning something special?

...John :D

I can see it now...... "look at Tim watching the bears......See bears notice Tim......... See Tim run..... See Tims Hat fly off while running........ See bear chew up Tims hat and hat mounted video camera!" LOL:D

..... John

( NOTE John is a cruising friend of Tims)

Tim....... planning something special?

...John :D

Does buying new toys for the cruise count?????? Okay, so DW is likely not interested in new cameras and lenses.........

Well, I had tried to hide the helicopter excursion, but that did not work (stupid cruise personalized) Have to see what else I can come up with. You know, it would be great if someone who filmed the Caribbean Princess 500 would end up in Alaska........The Princess 500 moves North..........Mother in Law slides into first on the ice...............

Tim

Hi Tim,

Congrats on your upcoming 10 year anniversary! We originally designated this cruise as our honeymoon but changed it into a family cruise with all the family coming. My wife & I got engaged in Venice, Italy during our Carnival Dream Grand Med cruise in Oct 2009.

That helicopter, hike & train tour sounds like a great time. If it were just Jeanne & I, we'd jump at that also but with my mom-in-law, the hike would be a no-go. She's still active and her mobility good, but a 4-5 mile hike would be too much. I understand there is a tour operator that combines the train up and then you can take a van back (with an optional stop at a dog sled facility).

I remember that video you posted and it is excellent. The quality of the images are fantastic. I think the guy that posted it is professional or semi-profesional videographer.

I am thinking about switching from Photobucket to Vimeo. How do you like Vimeo? I had a music copy problem with Photbucket (I had even purchased the music off itunes store) but what really aggravated me was that Photobucket doesn't tell you upfront when you start uploading, so you wait & wait and wait only to get the fail upload message. And...don't understand because I had never had a problem previously with any of the music I had used (all from itunes store). I saw with Vimeo, they have a special section for music to add to your videos without the copyright headaches..I like this feature very much.

Anyway, hope you're having a great weekend!

Marty

I like Vimeo. I paid for the upgraded account which was worth it. I have never had issues with the music I use and I know I have with the same music on youtube. Most of my music is from iTunes that I bought. Even if I uploaded it from a CD, I still had the copyright issues form youtube. Definitely something I did not like. Hate when you do your work and then the site will not work with it after 6 hours of uploading:(:(:(. With the upgrade, you are able to load longer movies. Takes forever thought. I usually start the upload at night and it is finished in the morning. Learned not to upload and try and do anything else with the computer since you are hogging bandwidth at that time. I have been happy with Vimeo.

Tim

I like Vimeo. I paid for the upgraded account which was worth it. I have never had issues with the music I use and I know I have with the same music on youtube. Most of my music is from iTunes that I bought. Even if I uploaded it from a CD, I still had the copyright issues form youtube. Definitely something I did not like. Hate when you do your work and then the site will not work with it after 6 hours of uploading:(:(:(. With the upgrade, you are able to load longer movies. Takes forever thought. I usually start the upload at night and it is finished in the morning. Learned not to upload and try and do anything else with the computer since you are hogging bandwidth at that time. I have been happy with Vimeo.

Tim

Thanks Tim, great info.

With the uncertainty on Photobucket with the music, I probably will switch to Vimeo. I had also paid for the upgrade on Photobucket.

I'll finish the current video I am finishing up (with the Lake Express Ferry footage I owe you) on Photobucket and then switch.

Thanks again...

Marty

You guys should enjoy the White Pass Trail trip. I love trains so taking a trip like that in Alaska was the best part of our trip.

You can see me footage at 9:07 of my Alaska video in my signature. Also have a look at 3:05

I have never been a jealous person before but now reading your back and forth here I am starting to get a little green.

Enjoy

You guys should enjoy the White Pass Trail trip. I love trains so taking a trip like that in Alaska was the best part of our trip.

You can see me footage at 9:07 of my Alaska video in my signature. Also have a look at 3:05

I have never been a jealous person before but now reading your back and forth here I am starting to get a little green.

Enjoy

Nice video of Alaska. It appears you are pretty free to stick your hands/camera outside of the cars while the train is moving??? Are there good areas to film from where you do not have to shoot through glass??

Yes, in between the cars there is a little platform that you can stand on and it is wide open. Get there quick as it fills up fast with people trying to "stake their claim". I didn't go to the back of the train but from the video you posted it looks like you can get a shot from back there.

This is me on the platform http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/ForeontheFloor/Alaska/?action=view&current=Alaska808.jpg

Nice video of Alaska. It appears you are pretty free to stick your hands/camera outside of the cars while the train is moving??? Are there good areas to film from where you do not have to shoot through glass??

Yes indeed Tim. It's really picturesque and you can don't have to shoot it all through windows .. We did it in 2007 .. Maybe I went a little over-the-top in post production but I really had fun making this one....

One day I hope to own a Mac. But for now it's still a PC. I keep asking myself. Get a Mac or go on a cruise? Cruises always wins :o I do Thank You two for a quick answer and will look into the Corel program. It's silly but I never thought about the hardware I have. I my need a new computer.

I did both. Just got a new iMac Jan 2012. PC user since early 80's and use PC every day at work. In the PC world I used Pinnacle for video editing. My son likes Premiere Elements on his Mac, but for me Version 10 has been a big frustration on my new iMac. Very tempted to purchase Final Cut Pro from app store.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I did both. Just got a new iMac Jan 2012. PC user since early 80's and use PC every day at work. In the PC world I used Pinnacle for video editing. My son likes Premiere Elements on his Mac, but for me Version 10 has been a big frustration on my new iMac. Very tempted to purchase Final Cut Pro from app store.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hey.. welcome Kevin...

I believe there's a trial version of Final Cut Pro X ... why not try it vs. a Trial Version of iMovie ... iMovie might be all you need.. I'd stick with an Apple product if you're going to edit on your new Mac .. Personally I use a PC and Vegas Pro .. love it, but then I'm very invested in Vegas .. been using it the past six years after a brief (and horrid) battle with Pinnacle.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

So Kevin, you have converted from the Dark Side.....:D They make me use a PC at work as well and I wonder why that one breaks all the time.....I was looking at Final Cut Pro X when it came out. Some of the reviews I read said that it was more like a slightly enhanced version of iMovie with not as many features as one would want in a professional video editing software. I have Final Cut Express and occasionally use that. More complicated than iMovie, but more options. I would agree with Paul, if you can get a trial version of Final Cut, do it and compare it to what you can do with iMovie. If it is only an enhanced version, might not be worth it.

Tim

Yes indeed Tim. It's really picturesque and you can don't have to shoot it all through windows .. We did it in 2007 .. Maybe I went a little over-the-top in post production but I really had fun making this one....

Great video Paul. I actually watch all of your Alaksa videos yesterday. Very nice. It was funny how you show your wife sitting and doing needle work on a number of occasions while I assume you are off filming. Somehow I think that will be my wife on the Alaska cruise. Pretty sure she is not going to want to go all over taking pictures and video like me.

On another note, DW said I should not buy the Contour ROAM till after my birthday next month........:rolleyes::roll eyes: hum.........

Great video, the dear wife and I left San Francisco on a 10 day to Alaska on 9/9/10 and enjoyed some of the great weather you did in this video. I think your videos are getting better in the editing.

Hey.. welcome Kevin...

I believe there's a trial version of Final Cut Pro X ... why not try it vs. a Trial Version of iMovie ... iMovie might be all you need.. I'd stick with an Apple product if you're going to edit on your new Mac .. Personally I use a PC and Vegas Pro .. love it, but then I'm very invested in Vegas .. been using it the past six years after a brief (and horrid) battle with Pinnacle.

Here is how bad Premiere is on the Mac is. While the pinwheel was spinning and crashing I had enough time to watch most of your Fantastic World Cruise videos. That got me to thinking if you are on a cruise for four months you must have take a PC along to download all your memory card to. Video do use use DVC,Mini DVD, or Memory. It must take a huge amount of prep time and thinking to put together those WC video clips.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Here is how bad Premiere is on the Mac is. While the pinwheel was spinning and crashing I had enough time to watch most of your Fantastic World Cruise videos. That got me to thinking if you are on a cruise for four months you must have take a PC along to download all your memory card to. Video do use use DVC,Mini DVD, or Memory. It must take a huge amount of prep time and thinking to put together those WC video clips.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks Kevin. The World Cruise 2008 video was a lot of work. Took 18 months to edit. Loved doing it but I have to say --- I was driven !! .. I did take a laptop on the trip. Took 40 hours of video on Panasonic DV and a little Canon point and shoot. Used tapes on the Panasonic and memory cards on the Canon. Took 5000 stills. I downloaded everything to a 500 gig portable drive as we went along on the trip.

My audience for the videos was mostly friends we made on the journey (and some dedicated family and friends) .. Each episode was released to an e-mail list as it was posted online. So no one was watching this straight through but rather like a TV series that came out at intervals. It was really made for those of us who made the trip. I had that audience in mind.

The only plan was to tell the story in chronological order and to use anything I could get my hands on to enrich that story. At the time, I thought it important to have shots of MYSELF, my WIFE and our shipmates and tour guides. I looked for videos to buy along the way, knowing I could swipe some stock shots from them that I could never get otherwise -- also postcard images. I also looked for country specific music to buy. In post production I found tons of stuff on the internet. Researching the episodes was the most fun. But, it's important to record your observations and doing a little reflecting at the time you are there. You may not use that but it helps in the research later.

It was a long long project -but worthwhile. While editing, I learned much more about where we had been then when we were there. Now I have all the episodes on my TIVO in one folder. I can watch any one of them at the touch of the TIVO remote.

http://vimeo.com/paulsvideos/albums

So what fun is going on a cruise if you cannot start making some videos ahead of time.....Put together a little trailer for our up coming cruise to Alaska. DW likes to sleep so she has earned the nick name Princess Nap-A-Lot. So we are going to have an Alaskan adventure with Princess Nap-A-Lot.

Good thing DW also has a sense of humor......

Tim

Kevin,

Still don't have a Mac:( I can't do anything because all my stuff is in HD now, so no editing for me till I get the Mac. Final Cut Pro I think is the way to go from what I've seen at Best Buy and the Apple Store. Can't wait till you post your your video when you're done with it :D

Kevin,

Still don't have a Mac:( I can't do anything because all my stuff is in HD now, so no editing for me till I get the Mac. Final Cut Pro I think is the way to go from what I've seen at Best Buy and the Apple Store. Can't wait till you post your your video when you're done with it :D

Final Cut Pro is not for everyone. It's certainly not designed with for the casual user. Here's an excellent discussion about FCP vs something like Sony Vegas http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/886661

So what fun is going on a cruise if you cannot start making some videos ahead of time.....Put together a little trailer for our up coming cruise to Alaska. DW likes to sleep so she has earned the nick name Princess Nap-A-Lot. So we are going to have an Alaskan adventure with Princess Nap-A-Lot.

Good thing DW also has a sense of humor......

Tim

Whoa Tim ... you're getting this trailer thing down .. nice job ...

Kevin,

Well I finally got my project finished. What a battle it was on Premiere Elements. The whole idea was to show our travel companion what they can expect on our upcoming Celebrity Solistice cruise in March. We went on a 10 day Celebrity Equinox Cruise March 2010 and I took hundreds of photos. The idea was to put together a slideshow using Ken Burn's effects and add 70/80 pop music. The end result was an Hour 13 minute slide show. It took my new iMac with 16g of Ram a long time to burn to DVD. Started burn around 9:30 PM checked before I went to work at 7:00 AM and it was only at 47% it was finished when I got home. The title slid of the page and I am not going to fix it instead I will create files so I can watch on my Apple TV and iPad. (sense an Apple theme at my house?). I figured it would bore to many people if I put it on Vimeo?

So instead I will bore you with a video my son, Adam, edited from our trip last year on Carnival Valor. (In Canada we would spell it Valour). I shot the video using a Sony DVC and Adam used Adobe Premiere Elements 9 to Edit on his Macbook. (Apple has taken over the Reid Household). The target audience for this video were the seven people in our group not the GP. 35 minutes with excellent music. My wife hates dance/trance/electronic music but I love it. My Oldest son, Adam, taste had worn on me. Adam is the person wearing the "DAL" (Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia) t-shirt at the start. Enjoy! I hope.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Archived