Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Mitchel, I can see you are getting better with each video.

It was a joy to watch.

As you know I was there last year, and these were great memories.

You also convinced me to get a Contour. I was debating between a GoPro or the Contour, but looking at the size and being waterproof without a seperate case seems the way to go for me.

Do you just turned it on and let it go for a while or is it easy to turn on & off?

I liked your music selection a lot throughout the clip, but somehow wanted a bit more powerfull music when you were rafting.

All in all a great job, and looking forward to the next video on board.

I noticed you said you make DVD's. I'm sure all your footage is HD. Is there a way you could create a Blu Ray?

That would really look good on your big screen.

Ted

Very nice job again Tim. Your skills keep improving. The contour gave you some good rafting footage. Naturally, I think the whole thing needs tightening .. But it's your vacation and you guys are the best judge. Sometimes too long for the neighbors is just right for you, allowing some time for remembering and discussion while the footage rolls ... My argument is that years from now even you will think it's too long. Once you've made a point -- move on.

If your DW made that beautiful panning shot from Hurricane Gulch to the tracks, she did it beautifullly. The train shots were excellent. Are you stabilizing some of this stuff in the editor? Footage is looking much more solid (which makes the shaky parts stand out) .. Nice work. Keep going.

That is funny about how you mentioned allowing for time to remember and discuss while it rolls, we were doing that exact same thing last night. Using the Contour on the raft was nice, but I did realize that I should have had a cloth to keep cleaning the water droplets of the lens. Have lost more rafting shots with water droplets on it. I was generally impressed with how it worked.

Glad you enjoyed the train shots. We really enjoyed the train trip. Was hard to shoot through the glass at times. Most of the clips are image stabilized during editing. Really handy with the Contour since it is not image stabilized.

Tim

Mitchel, I can see you are getting better with each video.

It was a joy to watch.

As you know I was there last year, and these were great memories.

You also convinced me to get a Contour. I was debating between a GoPro or the Contour, but looking at the size and being waterproof without a seperate case seems the way to go for me.

Do you just turned it on and let it go for a while or is it easy to turn on & off?

I liked your music selection a lot throughout the clip, but somehow wanted a bit more powerfull music when you were rafting.

All in all a great job, and looking forward to the next video on board.

I noticed you said you make DVD's. I'm sure all your footage is HD. Is there a way you could create a Blu Ray?

That would really look good on your big screen.

Ted

Thanks Ted. Any recommendations on more powerful music?? Would also prefer that too. Was trying to find something that worked with the footage.

I had looked at the GoPro and the Contour and had gone with the Contour for it's smaller size/profile and that it was water resistant to 1M. Only one model they have has the feature. They do have 3 different cameras. The camera is pretty easy to operate. One switch turns it on and off and that is the only switch. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the 170 degree wide lens. The video gets curvey on the sides. I was pretty impressed with the mounts and how well they stayed secured.

MY computer does not burn to Blu-Ray. You can see certain quality issues with the video on a 46" TV. Always wondered how Blu-Ray would do with that. Footage is taken in 1080P.

Tim

Tim,

I try to look tonight if I can suggest some music for your rafting part. But like everything else it is all pretty subjective, and in the end it is your video.:)

Yeah, not sure I would enjoy the 170deg view all the time, although it did not bother me at all in your clips. Wonder if I could end up cropping the center of the video a bit to keep the curves out?

Will have to play with it after I get one.

As you may remember I use Sony Vegas Pro NLE, it has the ability to burn the 1080P to Blu Ray (via DVD Architect, creates menu based DVD & Blu ray Disc's )

I used my Sony HDR-CV700 1080 - 60P camera last year in Alaska and created a blu Ray, and let me tell you there is a huge quality difference (if your TV has the ability to show it)

I may have to put a few clips on Vimeo to let you see. :eek:

I don't use Blu-Ray for "home movies" .. I have a library of home video that I've transferred to my TIVO. This can show 1080p or any other resolution. I select my video from the TIVO playlist. I can freeze frames, go backwards, use slo-mo etc. etc. I can access the videos from any TIVO unit in the house.

No discs to burn. No DVD's laying around. And the neatest thing is that even my 44 episode (almost 7 hour) video of our World Cruise resides in just one folder and I can play any episode within that folder within a few clicks of the remote.

I realize not everyone wants TIVO, but it was one of biggest reasons I went with our Cable company and TIVO for our TV setup. I hated giving up DirecTV for Time Warner, but it has been worth it just to finally have all our "trip videos" at our finger tips.

This is a complex subject, a bit off topic here...but it's why I don't own a Blu-Ray burner on my computer, nor a Blu-Ray disc player. As your travel videos accumulate you may, at some point, also feel the need to have them on a large hard drive, ready to access on your big screen!

This is a complex subject, a bit off topic here...but it's why I don't own a Blu-Ray burner on my computer, nor a Blu-Ray disc player. As your travel videos accumulate you may, at some point, also feel the need to have them on a large hard drive, ready to access on your big screen!

Now I wonder what would happen if I dumped the video to a memory card or hard drive and hooked it directly up to the TV. TV has a USB port. Might be interesting to try. As for putting the videos on disc, At least I do not have to worry about the computer crashing. Granted, on-line back-up helps. Have to see what happens if I try and play the same video from a SDHC card on the TV. Ah, more experiments Paul..........

Now if I could get ride of these pesky conference calls during the day........

It is all fun and games till I tell DW I want a better, high end camcorder, editing software, and more powerful computer. Which is usually followed with an "I need more shoes, cloths, make-up....."

Paul, not really to much OT. I like the way you think, and I must agree that it would be nice to be able to play them from my DVR.

I have Directv, and as you mentioned they do not have that option on their DVR'.

I do however have a HTPC hooked up to my TV, and have a number of videos on them, but I just have not put any Hdef material on them as it takes so long to transfer. But I will do some more checking.

Ted

Now I wonder what would happen if I dumped the video to a memory card or hard drive and hooked it directly up to the TV. TV has a USB port. Might be interesting to try. .."

USB will not be fast enough to transfer the files to your TV in my opinion.

Certainly not for 1080p files, but you may want to try and see what happens.

Ted

it takes so long to transfer

Transferring anything in HD takes a long time unless you have a serious internet connection (aka not one available for most homes) It took 6 1/2 hours to upload my last part which was about 17.5 minutes. Even transferring it between hard drives takes time. The only way I got it to go faster was installing internal hard drives. Granted, those are not exactly something you can hook up to a TV.....

Oh, remember when we all had 56K modems (or no modems..) and thought that was great......10 days later my video would be uploaded....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Transferring anything in HD takes a long time unless you have a serious internet connection (aka not one available for most homes) It took 6 1/2 hours to upload my last part which was about 17.5 minutes. Even transferring it between hard drives takes time. The only way I got it to go faster was installing internal hard drives. Granted, those are not exactly something you can hook up to a TV.....

Oh, remember when we all had 56K modems (or no modems..) and thought that was great......10 days later my video would be uploaded....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guys .. My first modem did 300 baud. That meant you would see each letter of a word go by as it loaded. 1200 baud was blazing in those days and a 80 meg hard drive cost me $3000. But that's another story for the history buffs.

Generally I don't render to 1080p (although my camera shots in 1080p). I render to MP4 files for upload at 1280 x 720. I can't see much difference between 720p and 1080p but then I don't have a 70" Big Screen.

To transfer a video to my TIVO, I go directly from my PC computer to the TIVO on my own home network. This network is established using the COAX cable inside the house, NOT WIRELESS. This is the same COAX that DirecTV was using, and now Time Warner to carry the TV signal throughout the house. THe technology to do this is called MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance). THe MoCA connection (since it is actually a hard wired network) runs much faster than wireless. It's extremely stable -- but as far as the videos are concerned you only need it to get the file transferred to the TIVO (which is basically a hard drive with menu system that hooks up to your TV). I just did a transfer to see how fast it goes. The file was 400meg of 1280 x720 video that runs 9 min playing time. It transferred to my TIVO in 1 min and 20 seconds. I get this timing from my TIVO box which keeps tracks of the transfer times. So a gig of video would transfer in something like 3 min.

I think devices like WD Live (Western Digital) and ROKU can take an external USB drive with video content and provide a menu system to play them on your TV. This might be an option worth some research. The newest USB 3.0 moves pretty fast for transfers.

THis is complicated stuff but within two or three years I'm sure many more options will appear to play video content on your big screen TV. For now, I'm very happy with my solution.

Alright Tim, your videos have pushed me to far. After a few long hard months we are booked again. Your flight tour almost made me go back to Alaska, but we are headed back to the Caribbean. Now I just have to work on a trailer.

Glad I could help.....Where are you going in the Caribbean?? We are looking at the Caribbean for an extended family cruise of Thanksgiving next year.

I have actually figured out a way to cut down on the prop motion on the side of the airplane video by cropping the actually video clip. Done some experimenting and it seems to work to an extent. Also helped to stabilize the clips as well.

Glad I could help.....Where are you going in the Caribbean?? We are looking at the Caribbean for an extended family cruise of Thanksgiving next year.

Going back to Eastern St.Thomas, St. Maarten and Grand Turk in Feb. I am looking forward to Grand Turk, loved it there last time. I can take or leave the other two. My wife has just informed me 10 min ago that we are doing Canada/New England next fall. I just got a big promotion with a major raise and she is spending it already.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Part 4. Got a little longer with this one, but wanted to get all of Glacier Bay into this part. Went a little overboard with how much pictures and video I put in from Glacier Bay. It was really a great place to visit and our weather was perfect.

Have been going back and modifying/changing/fixing stuff on some of the previous ones after watching it on a big screen. Some of the titles looked bad, particularly the angled ones in the corners when you add too many words. For those of you keeping score at home, I am over an hour now and I still have the 3 ports. Guess my goal of a full length feature will not be hard to meet...

Enjoy.

Tim

Finished Part 4. Got a little longer with this one, but wanted to get all of Glacier Bay into this part. Went a little overboard with how much pictures and video I put in from Glacier Bay. It was really a great place to visit and our weather was perfect.

Have been going back and modifying/changing/fixing stuff on some of the previous ones after watching it on a big screen. Some of the titles looked bad, particularly the angled ones in the corners when you add too many words. For those of you keeping score at home, I am over an hour now and I still have the 3 ports. Guess my goal of a full length feature will not be hard to meet...

Enjoy.

Tim

Overall pretty good Tim. Naturally you expect me to say it's too long. Well. I do have to say it. It's too long. So --- enough said about that. Some excellent shooting. I like using the "live" voice over from you and the "live" sound from you wife. You did have spectacular weather in Glacier Bay. Nice bit of luck and you took full advantage. I think you are right too, one cannot appreciate things like Glacier Bay no matter how good the photography. You simply have to go see it.

Overall pretty good Tim. Naturally you expect me to say it's too long. Well. I do have to say it. It's too long. So --- enough said about that. Some excellent shooting. I like using the "live" voice over from you and the "live" sound from you wife. You did have spectacular weather in Glacier Bay. Nice bit of luck and you took full advantage. I think you are right too, one cannot appreciate things like Glacier Bay no matter how good the photography. You simply have to go see it.

Thanks Paul. Yeah, it is long. I did not even realize how much stuff I put in regarding Glacier Bay till I exported it. I still had lots more I could have put in. Have to try narrating parts of Glacier Bay. Might help to convey how incredible it was. Weather definitely helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay,here is part 5. Little less than 20 minutes. Yes, long, but I am going to have no problem making this whole thing into a feature length film.... I have actually had this done for a few weeks, but for some odd reason it would not upload to Vimeo through their advanced uploader. I think I tried 10 times. Finally changed to the basic uploaded and it worked. The video of the river and hike are off the Contour mostly since it was rainy that day. The video work of the whales was done by my DW.

Enjoy

Tim

Tim,

Nice video, looking forward to see more.

I really like your shots with the Contour, so much so that I just bought one for myself.

I like that it can be pulled out when there are a few raindrops.

Ted

Okay,here is part 5. Little less than 20 minutes. Yes, long, but I am going to have no problem making this whole thing into a feature length film.... I have actually had this done for a few weeks, but for some odd reason it would not upload to Vimeo through their advanced uploader. I think I tried 10 times. Finally changed to the basic uploaded and it worked. The video of the river and hike are off the Contour mostly since it was rainy that day. The video work of the whales was done by my DW.

Enjoy

Tim

Tim,

Nice video, looking forward to see more.

I really like your shots with the Contour, so much so that I just bought one for myself.

I like that it can be pulled out when there are a few raindrops.

Ted

Thanks Ted. Which Contour did you get? I have the Contour ROAM. Would be curious to see what the video looks like from one of the cameras with a 135 degree field of view. If you are in a wet environment, I do recommend having a cloth hand to keep the water droplets off the lens.

I am trying to figure out how to attach it to the end of a golf club and still be able to hit a golf ball...Options are endless.

Tim

I Also got the ROAM, I tink it is the only one that is waterproof without a special case. Do you have any special attachement options?

I ended up getting the headband so I can run it handsfree....

Ted

Thanks Ted. Which Contour did you get? I have the Contour ROAM. Would be curious to see what the video looks like from one of the cameras with a 135 degree field of view. If you are in a wet environment, I do recommend having a cloth hand to keep the water droplets off the lens.

I am trying to figure out how to attach it to the end of a golf club and still be able to hit a golf ball...Options are endless.

Tim

I Also got the ROAM, I tink it is the only one that is waterproof without a special case. Do you have any special attachement options?

I ended up getting the headband so I can run it handsfree....

Ted

The water proofing was the big reason I got the ROAM. I knew I was going to take it rafting so that was a need. Did you get the soft hat mount or the head strap mount? How well does it work? I use the rotating flat surface mount to attach it to the helmet when rafting and it worked well. I also have the suction cup mount. Works well to mount it to dash boards and such. Never used it in Alaska. The other one I have is the strap mount which I get the most use out of. That was the one I used to attached the camera to my back pack strap and took most of the video in Alaska with. You definitely have to learn how to "pan" you head slowly to avoid jerky shoots.

Tim, I got the headstrap mount. Seems to work OK. My fear is that I will need to do a lot of de-shaking on the footage, as the few trial clips I just made seem to wobble around quite a bit.

We are off on a southern carrib cruise next April, and the wife wants to do horseback riding on the beach, perhaps a perfect solution for this little bugger, as I do not want to take my expensive camera in the water with me (it is on the beach and in water)

Not impressed with the audio as it seems a bit low, but I figure the footage from it will end up with a music track under it anyway.

Ran some tests using 1080P, and picture quality is pretty decend, I got a 16G microSDHC card which should hold 2 hours. I can always download the days footage to my laptop which I always bring along....

Have you tried the camera in low light, any input on that?

Ted

Tim, I got the headstrap mount. Seems to work OK. My fear is that I will need to do a lot of de-shaking on the footage, as the few trial clips I just made seem to wobble around quite a bit.

We are off on a southern carrib cruise next April, and the wife wants to do horseback riding on the beach, perhaps a perfect solution for this little bugger, as I do not want to take my expensive camera in the water with me (it is on the beach and in water)

Not impressed with the audio as it seems a bit low, but I figure the footage from it will end up with a music track under it anyway.

Ran some tests using 1080P, and picture quality is pretty decend, I got a 16G microSDHC card which should hold 2 hours. I can always download the days footage to my laptop which I always bring along....

Have you tried the camera in low light, any input on that?

Ted

I learned that you need to have the camera mounted on a sturdy mount. I had my mounted very tight to the backpack strap and even then I had some issues. There is the one section of my Alaska video where we are boarding the train and my should drops and the whole shot is at an angle. One thing I with the had was an auto leveling feature. The audio is not great at all. The reviews. Had all said it was sub par and it is. Granted, for most of what you would use a camera like this for, audio is not a concern as much. 16gb is a good size. I used 32gb. Down side is you have to guess how much you have left. Downloading each night is a good idea. Have not done much low light, but what little I have is okay. Not great.

Here's my first attempt using an HD Camcorder

This was made with a Panasonic SD900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS sensor, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) and edited using iMovie.

I had to convert the .mts files to .mov so that my Mac could recognise them, but it's a fairly painless process using the Aunsoft converter program.

All the best, Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing, interesting piece, and I like the captions throughout to tell you what is being shown. Venice is a really beautiful place.

One thing I really missed was a sound track with some fitting music instead of the original camera audio. Any way you could add some music to the piece?

Ted

Here's my first attempt using an HD Camcorder

This was made with a Panasonic SD900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS sensor, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) and edited using iMovie.

I had to convert the .mts files to .mov so that my Mac could recognise them, but it's a fairly painless process using the Aunsoft converter program.

All the best, Tony

Archived