Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Tim --- You don't need an external mic to do voice over. I sometimes just use my camcorder or even my little point and shoot camera. The quality of the sound you get from the cameras will match your "on camera" voice-overs. Just find where the mic is on the camera and speak directly into it .. maybe put an old pair of panty hose stretched on a wire hanger for a sound screen to avoid the "pops" you get with words starting with "P" ..

Keep going. But maybe try some voice over narration on the underwater stuff on Part 4. You could use the underwater live track as background audio instead of the music (or with the music if it works) .. I'd only do it if it doesn't slow you down too much. I realize you have a limited amount of time to work on these things. I really admire how quickly you get these things done...........so........no pressure.....just looking forward to Part 4.

More on little tripods when I get the chance.

I had tried voice overs on a video I did a few years back. Was a Mission Impossible Theme. Was okay, but I did not like the voice quality. I was using the build in mic on the Mac so that may have been why. Other hard part about the voice narration with my camera at times is the external mic. It is a direction mic with a wind screen so not really designed for a behind voice. Work really well with Princess Nap A Lot in part 1..... Also hard to do voice narrations when working on the movies while flying (yes, that is where I get a good portion of this done is while I fly for work) Too much cabin noise not to mention the people on the plane giving me odd looks. Such is life. I do enjoy putting these together. Always something new to learn and try different when working on these. Also am working on my "director's cut" for this cruise. Much longer and geared towards a DVD. One thing I have strived for is to make a good DVD movie that looks good on a 46" HD TV........

Okay, off to Atlanta in the morning..........

Tim

Hey ... We're going Cruising again.... we leave on Friday .. back to Alaska .. We'll be gone on this one until August 12th ... I'll check in when I get back ... Funny .. we were up there last year in Sept. Just finished up the editing on that trip and WHAMM .. we're going again .. How much ice can I photograph ? .. Thought I'd share a couple to segments from that trip just posted on Vimeo ..

College Fjord -- 4 min.

Glacier Bay -- 6 min.

Keep this thread going .. and keep editing.

Okay, all you camera experts, I'm looking for an inexpensive (okay, cheap) HD camcorder and came across the Canon VIXIA HF R100 at BestBuy for $299.00. It does not have internal flash memory, but with the price of flash cards coming down every day this actually seems to be a plus. It records in 1080p; and has a 20 x optical zoon; and dynamic IS. All of the reviews I’ve read on the internet are pretty good. I will stick with my Canon SD850IS for still shots and use this camcorder for videos. Does anyone have experience with this camcorder? What is not to like at this price? Any input will be appreciated.

Ron

Okay, all you camera experts, I'm looking for an inexpensive (okay, cheap) HD camcorder and came across the Canon VIXIA HF R100 at BestBuy for $299.00. It does not have internal flash memory, but with the price of flash cards coming down every day this actually seems to be a plus. It records in 1080p; and has a 20 x optical zoon; and dynamic IS. All of the reviews I’ve read on the internet are pretty good. I will stick with my Canon SD850IS for still shots and use this camcorder for videos. Does anyone have experience with this camcorder? What is not to like at this price? Any input will be appreciated.

Ron

It looks to be on Canon's lower end of their HD video cameras from what I can tell. Smaller sensor than some others and some less features than some of the higher end models, but that is to be expected. The still capture seems lacking, but you really don't want to use a camcorder for stills anyways. My used SD cards and I have no issue with it. Make sure to check out which ones you need. To do full HD, you usually need a class 4 or higher and not all the Canon will take a card with a class 6 or higher. I have a class 10 and the camera can not use it. Canon is somewhat bad at giving you a good battery as well. They one that came with mine (canon Vixia HF S100) lasted less than an hour. Read some reviews about the camera and it does not seem to do well in low light, but find me one that does do it really well at a decent price. Does not look like a bad camera for the price. Suggested Retail is $379 on Canon's website, but most places I checked (amazon) had it for the $299.

It looks to be on Canon's lower end of their HD video cameras from what I can tell. Smaller sensor than some others and some less features than some of the higher end models, but that is to be expected. The still capture seems lacking, but you really don't want to use a camcorder for stills anyways. My used SD cards and I have no issue with it. Make sure to check out which ones you need. To do full HD, you usually need a class 4 or higher and not all the Canon will take a card with a class 6 or higher. I have a class 10 and the camera can not use it. Canon is somewhat bad at giving you a good battery as well. They one that came with mine (canon Vixia HF S100) lasted less than an hour. Read some reviews about the camera and it does not seem to do well in low light, but find me one that does do it really well at a decent price. Does not look like a bad camera for the price. Suggested Retail is $379 on Canon's website, but most places I checked (amazon) had it for the $299.

Tim,

Thanks very much for the honest opinion on the Canon HF R100. BestBuy has this camera for an online special price of $249.00. I would love to have the Canon HF S100, but at this stage in my life it is hard for me to justify the price since I will mainly use the camera to produce two or three travel videos each year to upload to Youtube. The economy has cut into my wonderlust travel habits!

According to your review it seems this little camera might just satisfy my basic needs. I will check out the class SD cards that the camera will accept. The battery life is disappointing, but as you say, even the higher end cameras have similar battery life. Thanks again for your comments. They were most helpful. I have enjoyed following your comments on Cruise Critic and seeing the videos you have posted.

Regards,

Ron

Tim,

Thanks very much for the honest opinion on the Canon HF R100. BestBuy has this camera for an online special price of $249.00. I would love to have the Canon HF S100, but at this stage in my life it is hard for me to justify the price since I will mainly use the camera to produce two or three travel videos each year to upload to Youtube. The economy has cut into my wonderlust travel habits!

According to your review it seems this little camera might just satisfy my basic needs. I will check out the class SD cards that the camera will accept. The battery life is disappointing, but as you say, even the higher end cameras have similar battery life. Thanks again for your comments. They were most helpful. I have enjoyed following your comments on Cruise Critic and seeing the videos you have posted.

Regards,

Ron

No need to go over board with the camera if you are going to use it for limited use. I am on my 3rd camcorder. 1st one ended up with water damage, still have the second Sony, and progressed to my Canon. Granted it was an "award" from work so not sure I would have gotten it otherwise. If you get it, spend time working with it and getting use to how it works, it's strengths and weaknesses, etc. Will making filming on the cruise easier. Beauty of a camcorder that records to an SD card, very easy to play and write over stuff as opposed to miniDV tapes or mini DVDs.....

I found this review of the Canon HF R100 on Youtube. The owner seems very happy with the quality of this camcorder.

Canon HF R100:

Accompanying Comments:

I recently purchased a Canon Vixia HF R100 on sale at the local Best Buy store for around $250. I am normally a Sony HD camera/camorder user, so I was skeptical in purchasing this camera at first, but I remembered that I had an excellent Canon ZR500 standard definition camera for years and I loved it, so I ended up buying the Vixia HF R100 and took it home.

I was extremely impressed by its quality of video and the options it gave for its priceline! It completely beats my HD Sony camera by a mile, and I purchased the sony camera for $800 only last year! The quality of the Vixia HF R100 is absolutely phenominal, even in low light, where my Sony fails, my Sony will become grainy and desaturated, while the Canon continues to show a beautiful picture!

I am a Canon Convert!

I took this camera out to my backyard as well as a local park in Visalia called 'Mooney's Grove Park'. The camera had no tripod and its image stabilization was turned off for a better picture, so some of the images may be wobbly.

In later tests, I will use a tripod. I plan on taking this camera out to a reserve and doing a shoot there.

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hi, soooo, HI! Had a great vacation up in Michigan and Wisconsin. Also, used my new Kodak Playsport and funny, it was the camcorder I used the most! Loved using the camera and it was very user friendly.

As promised, I will post the section of the vacation where we did the cross lake fast-ferry. As close to a cruise I will have this year :o, but we are doing Alaska on Diamond Princess next May :)!

Have my boys with me for 3 more weeks, so am spending quality time with them. After that, I will jump on my Great Lakes editing project.

Glad to see the thread very active! Until later...

Marty

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hi, soooo, HI! Had a great vacation up in Michigan and Wisconsin. Also, used my new Kodak Playsport and funny, it was the camcorder I used the most! Loved using the camera and it was very user friendly.

As promised, I will post the section of the vacation where we did the cross lake fast-ferry. As close to a cruise I will have this year :o, but we are doing Alaska on Diamond Princess next May :)!

Have my boys with me for 3 more weeks, so am spending quality time with them. After that, I will jump on my Great Lakes editing project.

Glad to see the thread very active! Until later...

Marty

Glad you enjoyed the camera. Look forward to seeing the video. Glad you had a nice time. Hope you got out of here before the really oppressive heat got here. Heat index was 120 the other day.

Tim

Glad you enjoyed the camera. Look forward to seeing the video. Glad you had a nice time. Hope you got out of here before the really oppressive heat got here. Heat index was 120 the other day.

Tim

Tim- yes, our timing was good. In our RV, we had to turn the AC on the last couple of days, so it was starting to heat up. Now, I think it is hotter up in Michigan than it is down here in Texas!

Once my boys head back to SD, I'll be getting on my editing project and I will post the Lake Express fast ferry portion on here.

Marty

I just boiught a Panasonic HDC-SD900 and for editing I'm using the 'HD Writer AE 3.0' provided with the camera from Panasonic - all necessary basis functions for editing -then I'm using YouTube for adding titles and music.

These two videos from my recent cruise:

My other video clips at YouTube are shot with a different camera.

Family Cruise 2010

Day 1: http://www.vimeo.com/23754605 13:37 Password- RCCL

Day 2: http://www.vimeo.com/23765094 13:33 Password- RCCL

Day 3: http://www.vimeo.com/26832361 19:30 Password- RCCL

Day 4: Not done yet- need to buy a Mac!!!!

I know these are long but I did make them for the family. Plus, who really gets tired of seeing themselves :o

Hope you enjoy and feel free to to tell me what you think.

Family Cruise 2010

I know these are long but I did make them for the family. Plus, who really gets tired of seeing themselves :o

That pass code does not work.

Family Cruise 2010

TOOK OFF THE PASSWORD- Should work now!

Okay, after some delay and traveling to everyone of Delta's hubs in a 5 day period, I have finally gotten to complete part 4 of the video.

Paul - Tried to put some narration to it, but did not work that well. Sounded like I was in a cave of something. Have to try it with a different mic. Used a headset which apparently was not very good.

Enjoy.

Tim

Tim,

Nice job! The underwater shots were great.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I shot them with my Canon D10. One thing I have learned about either taking underwater pictures or video is that the closer to the surface and light, the better. You can see the difference when the camera is pointed towards the see floor as opposed to the clip of the turtle going up for air.

You get the HD camera yet?

Tim

Family Cruise 2010

Nice videos. I enjoyed them. I see you had the problem of shooting off a balcony with a large overhang from the deck above. What program did you use to put it together?

Okay, after some delay and traveling to everyone of Delta's hubs in a 5 day period, I have finally gotten to complete part 4 of the video.

Paul - Tried to put some narration to it, but did not work that well. Sounded like I was in a cave of something. Have to try it with a different mic. Used a headset which apparently was not very good.

Enjoy.

Tim

Great job Tim....really enjoyed it! The underwater images of the turtles were amazing. What was your underwater camera again?

Caribbean Proincess is a beautiul ship. Looking forward tour our Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess next May!

Marty

Thanks Ron. I shot them with my Canon D10. One thing I have learned about either taking underwater pictures or video is that the closer to the surface and light, the better. You can see the difference when the camera is pointed towards the see floor as opposed to the clip of the turtle going up for air.

You get the HD camera yet?

Tim

Yes, I got the Cannon VAXIA HF R100. The camera is really easy to use, the pictures are great, and I love the 20x zoom. The only annoyance is the slight amount of internal camera noise that is picked up by the internal mic if there is no other noise around. However, if there is any conversation or other noise it drowns out the internal camera noise. Most of the time I mute the sound track from the camera and use my on audio tracks, so this is not a major problem. I am extremely happy considering the price I paid. We leave in two weeks for a crossing on the QM2 from New York to Southampton and a week in London, so I'll be putting the camera to good use.

Ron

Nice videos. I enjoyed them. I see you had the problem of shooting off a balcony with a large overhang from the deck above. What program did you use to put it together?

Glad you liked them so far. Day 4 should be fun, after all I did win the belly flop contest. I've been using the Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0. I love the underwater on your last video. I would kill to have a sea turtle in one of my videos. I hope to get a Mac so I can start on day four before I go again in Oct.

Yes, I got the Cannon VAXIA HF R100. The camera is really easy to use, the pictures are great, and I love the 20x zoom. The only annoyance is the slight amount of internal camera noise that is picked up by the internal mic if there is no other noise around. However, if there is any conversation or other noise it drowns out the internal camera noise. Most of the time I mute the sound track from the camera and use my on audio tracks, so this is not a major problem. I am extremely happy considering the price I paid. We leave in two weeks for a crossing on the QM2 from New York to Southampton and a week in London, so I'll be putting the camera to good use.

Ron

We really enjoyed sailing out of NYC. Great views sailing under the bridge. Does your new camera have an option for an external mic? I use an external directional mic on my camera with a wind screen. Makes shooting outside or off a balcony much better for audio.

Great job Tim....really enjoyed it! The underwater images of the turtles were amazing. What was your underwater camera again?

Caribbean Proincess is a beautiul ship. Looking forward tour our Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess next May!

Marty

Marty,

All the underwater shots were done with the Canon D10. Lots more photos and video, but not much was really great. Lighting is such and issue underwater. The really good pics and video came no more than 3 feet underwater. Plenty of sunshine out that day which helped.

I am sure you will have fun on the Diamond in May. Still looking at Alaska for next summer, but lots of things to consider at this point. Would love to do Alaska. Europe would be nice as well, but the flights are a killer....

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Marty,

..........Still looking at Alaska for next summer, but lots of things to consider at this point. Would love to do Alaska.

Tim

Nice work so far Tim. Very watchable! Clearly, you are making progress. Looking forward to Bermuda. I love Bermuda. Regards Alaska! .. If at all possible, DO IT. Another place I love. Here's a taste.

College Fjord

Glacier Bay

Archived