Hotel Nationale vs. Albergo Santa Chiara

labeachcomber

I've read pretty much every single "Rome Hotel" thread on these boards by using the search function.

I know everybody seems to rave about the Albergo del Senato, but at over $350 per night, it's a bit more than I would like to spend. The Albergo Cesari, which I've also read about here, is sold out.

Narrowed the two hotels down to the Hotel Nationale or the Albergo Santa Chiara. Both are recommended by Rick Steves. The Hotel Nationale is a bit cheaper, about $206 a night, while the Albergo Santa Chiara is $234. Anyone have any comments on either? I've read here that people thought the Santa Chiara was adequate and the location behind the Pantheon was nice. I didn't find many posts about the Nationale. On the map, the Nationale is a little bit further north and thus it would make walking to the Spanish Steps and Metro stops a bit shorter. Am I overthinking this and it really doesn't matter that much?

You probably are overthinking it. Being closer to the Spanish Steps isn't a real value, in my opinion, because once you've seen them ... well, it's just a very nice set of stairs. Being closer to the metro also isn't much of a benefit in Rome, as most tourists never have a reason to use it - it doesn't cover the centro storico.

Both locations are good - just choose whichever hotel appeals to you more based on what it offers (rooms, restaurant, etc.).

Archived