St Petersburg - New Passenger Terminal

We are visiting St Petersburg on 5/6 August on Jewel of the Seas and we understand that we are docking in Berth 5 at the new passenger terminal.

We have already got our visas as we intend to "go it alone".

Has anyone any experience of the new terminal and how easy/difficult it will be to get into the centre of St Petersburg.

Is it easy to get a taxi into the centre?

Any other help/advice/information/tips would be appreciated!

We are visiting St Petersburg on 5/6 August on Jewel of the Seas and we understand that we are docking in Berth 5 at the new passenger terminal.

Has anyone any experience of the new terminal and how easy/difficult it will be to get into the centre of St Petersburg.

Would love to know how you found out which terminal..we will be on the Jewel in St. Petersburg Aug 17&18...

If you google a map of Vasili Island and do a close up you should see the port. It is west of the main attractions and is in a new development of homes shopping and of course the port. Incidently, the new development is a joint project with Gentsler, an American architectural firm.

The port is not within walking distance of any sights and will require about a 30 minute cab ride to The Hermitage.

Licensed cabs MAY be available at the port but they are hard to find in the center of the city. If you have been to St. Petersburg before this is not new information. If you have not, then try to arrange transportation back to the ship before you head into the city.

You can take a river boat to Peterhof from the city but it is one of the few sites away from Nivsky Prospect that you will be able to access unless you can find a cab for hire. You can also use the subway system in town, just be aware that the system is pickpocket heaven.

It is my understanding that there are ATM's at the port. We are planning on getting our rubels there before we head off to tour. And, yes I have been there before.

I was told on trip advisor.com that there are taxi stands at the terminal that charge 6oo rubles to Nevsky Prospect or you could take a taxi to the nearest metro station for 250 rubles and catch a metro for 22 rubles.

Were you given a letter of invitation with your Visa and do you have to show both?

Just back home from a cruise of the Baltics including St Petersburg. Yes the terminal is nice and new and yes there was an ATM machine in the lobby.

We did a private tour in St Petersburg with St Petersburg Tours.com and I can highly recommend Viktoria - her company did a wonderful job and her tour price included our visa... If you would like info on what we did and saw in our 2 days I am happy to share just let me know realtors at portal dot ca

I did not see any cabs around but then I was not looking for any.

All the souvenir shops - etc take Euros - US $ - credit cards etc but if you want to ride the subway or buy any food in a restaurant you will need ruples as they only take the Russian currency and only cash. Our lunch each day was good and inexpensive (about $5. per day)

Hi!

We were in SPB on 1-2/6 and had a private tour. We took 30 minutes at least to get into SPB and the traffic was very heavy and bonkers! Allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. Our guides knew what to expect and left plenty of time. They also made sure we saw the sights in the right order to miss as much traffic as possible. The price for our two day tour which included an extra 1 hour boat trip was $300 USD with camera passes etc and was great.(Alla tours). I cannot imagine managing Russia on my own, the language is impossible to read or pronounce as the alphabet is different so it can be disorientating and it was quite hard to raise a smile from some of the folk we met but our guides and the coat check lady at Catherine palace were friendly!. On the beautiful metro system there were several attempts to pick pockets etc.

Good luck with all your arrangements and have a great time!!!

Sarah.

Hi!

We were in SPB on 1-2/6 and had a private tour. We took 30 minutes at least to get into SPB and the traffic was very heavy and bonkers! Allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. Our guides knew what to expect and left plenty of time. They also made sure we saw the sights in the right order to miss as much traffic as possible. The price for our two day tour which included an extra 1 hour boat trip was $300 USD with camera passes etc and was great.(Alla tours). I cannot imagine managing Russia on my own, the language is impossible to read or pronounce as the alphabet is different so it can be disorientating and it was quite hard to raise a smile from some of the folk we met but our guides and the coat check lady at Catherine palace were friendly!. On the beautiful metro system there were several attempts to pick pockets etc.

Good luck with all your arrangements and have a great time!!!

Sarah.

How did you know about the pick pockets and how did you carry your personal items ???

Hi,

It was a new friend we had made on the cruise Doug who had the experience with the pickpockets. He was on a ship's tour of Hidden Places which included the Metro. The pickpockets work in groups. As Doug stepped onto the train it was very crowded and he was shoved forward from behind. He had had his hand on his wallet in his pocket. He had to take his hand out of his pocket to steady himself and felt a hand reach in for his wallet. Doug realised what was happening and jabbed backwards using his elbow and the man took his hand away and jumped off the train. This all happened before the doors had even closed. If the pickpocket had been successful he would have had the wallet and jumped off the train before Doug could have a chance to chase him. When he left two others who had only just got on the train got off again...all a bit suspicious! All countries have this problem it is just a bit more disastrous if it happens to you abroad! We heard of a couple of other incidents. If you are careful and use a money belt etc. you should be fine. Our private guide, Elena, was very protective towards the ten of us (a bit like a mother hen!) and was very embarrassed if any of us experienced bad manners etc. while touring, she had to work quite hard in some places to make sure we were able to get a good view of things. There is apparently such a thing as good guide etiquette which keeps the many tour groups flowing well!

Have fun, Sarah.

I was told on trip advisor.com that there are taxi stands at the terminal that charge 6oo rubles to Nevsky Prospect or you could take a taxi to the nearest metro station for 250 rubles and catch a metro for 22 rubles.

We are also planning on visiting mostly on our own and will probably only hire a guide for a few hours.

The guide we're in contact with phoned the new port to get information about taxis . She's been told there would be an english speaking dispatcher available.

So we should be able to get a cab to the city center. The prices are fixed.and it 'll also be possible to organize the return transfer.

But you can also ask for a taxi at a restaurant,...

Were you given a letter of invitation with your Visa and do you have to show both?

You need the letter invitation/voucher for your visa application.

It's the embassy/consulate that checks and retrieve it.

You'll then only need your passport with your visa to get ashore.

We got our letters of inviation for free from Princess Cruises.

Our TA just emailed them and they emailed us the letters back within only a few hours;)

So before your order vouchers from the internet for 25 $, call your cruise line !

Toonye

Hi!

We were in SPB .. The price for our two day tour which included an extra 1 hour boat trip was $300 USD with camera passes etc and was great.(Alla tours).

Sarah.

Hi Sarah, was that per person and was the tour exclusively for you or did you join a group with Alla?

Hi Caribbeandave,

Yes the price was $300 and was with Alla Tours. This price was for a group of 10 @ $285 each with a boat trip @ $15 each.We actually then got a 5% discount because we got our own group together via the Roll Call on this website and also Trip Advisor. This then brought the cost down to $285 again so was actually even cheaper. This option which is flexible and adaptable to your needs is called the Comfort Tour.

There is another option called the Complete St. Petersberg Tour which is also $300 but cannot be altered and the group size can reach up to 20. However, as happened with those on Azura who booked this, the total group reached 20+ and was then split in two and the number on each went down to 10-12 people. There was no boat tour included in this one.

We found the group of 10 very easy. We met up to get to know each other over afternoon tea before the tour and met again later to help celebrate a birthday of one our group.

Hope that helps, have fun,

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

We are also on that sailing of the Jewel! I am tagging along with another group on their 2 day tour. But my family wants to go it alone, Husband early 50's, 21 year old son and 16 year old daughter. How easy was it to get visas? If taxis are large enough they possibly could share with you. Are you on our Roll Call?

Beth

We are also on that sailing of the Jewel! I am tagging along with another group on their 2 day tour. But my family wants to go it alone, Husband early 50's, 21 year old son and 16 year old daughter. How easy was it to get visas? If taxis are large enough they possibly could share with you. Are you on our Roll Call?

Beth

We are in the UK so got our visa's from the Russian Tourist office in London. We completed everything online and then printed it off and sent it with our passports to them and they then dealt with the Russian Embassy in London to actually get the visa. It was quite expensive, £125 each (about $180) and I know it can be done slightly cheaper by applying direct to the Embassy but the tourist office sorted the visa invitation and everything. We thought it was worth the extra.

Not sure where the equivalent is in the US, or how long it takes over there to get it sorted. It was about a week and a half here from sending the original application to receiving the passports back with the Visa's.

Let us know if/when you get your Visa's sorted and we should probably be able to sort sharing taxi.

• 2 weeks later...
We are in the UK so got our visa's from the Russian Tourist office in London. We completed everything online and then printed it off and sent it with our passports to them and they then dealt with the Russian Embassy in London to actually get the visa. It was quite expensive, £125 each (about $180) and I know it can be done slightly cheaper by applying direct to the Embassy but the tourist office sorted the visa invitation and everything. We thought it was worth the extra.

Not sure where the equivalent is in the US, or how long it takes over there to get it sorted. It was about a week and a half here from sending the original application to receiving the passports back with the Visa's.

Let us know if/when you get your Visa's sorted and we should probably be able to sort sharing taxi.

Got off of Jewel yesterday, we docked at the new port. However, it is a bit out of town still, and not in walking distance, you will need a taxi. There is no taxi rank outside the port, I expect too few travellers do this independantly, so best to arrange this in advance. Might be best to arrange a driver to take you around, as the pubic transport system will not be easy unless you speak Russian.

Archived