Take SIM card out of Cell Phone?

Kirby02

We are going on our first cruise Moday and I was wondering neither of us have watches (have always depended on cell) can I take my SIM card out of my AT&T Blackberry and us it as an alarm clock and take with us on shore to keep up with the time or will it some how still charge?

Thanks GUYS!

You can leave the SIM card in. If you do not have international roaming, it will not pick up any service anyway. (I leave mine on when I cruise.)

Even if you take the SIM card out, you can still use the phone features -alarm clock, watch, games, etc. The phone will charge without the SIM card. You only need the SIM card to connect to the wireless service, not for phone access.

Suit yourself, of course, but I can't help asking if there is some very specific reason why you wouldn't want to have even an inexpensive watch to depend upon. So much easier than worrying about SIM cards and such. :D

Suit yourself, of course, but I can't help asking if there is some very specific reason why you wouldn't want to have even an inexpensive watch to depend upon. So much easier than worrying about SIM cards and such. :D

Speaking for myself I'm not a watch guy. They feel uncomfortable on my wrist, I get sweaty, itchy, etc ... I've always used my cell as a timepiece.

I might invest in one of those super small travel clocks they sell at Radio Shack that you can fold away ... will probably fit in my pocket perfectly.

Do not rely on a cellphone for the time in port. The time displayed on your phone will be the local time for wherever you are. It may not be the same as the ship's time. And, you want to always be on ship's time. I recommend that you buy an inexpensive watch and set it to the ship's time for when you are in port.

Shut the radio off on your berry, or set the roaming mode to none. Most modern blackberries also allow you to set the default timezone and not update to the local timezone. I drove my wife absolutely insane on our last trip to the grand canyon because I refused to update the time to local time on my phone and my watch so I would give the time in whatever timezone I felt like it. Seriously, math of one or two hours off isn't exactly rocket science.

One other thing. Its about $15 a week to enable global data services if you have them turn it on right before you leave and shut it off when you get home. Almost cheaper than buying a decent, reliable watch.

The cell phone works fine for the ship. I use it as an alarm also. But purchase a $10 watch at walmart for use when you go on shore. You can carry it in your pocket if you prefer not to wear a watch.

The time on your cell phone is not always accurate. I have been on an island and almost missed an excursion because my clock on the cell phone kept changing time zones and I didn't realize it (sounds strange but true). It was actually an hour later than we thought it was. Luckily it was only for an excursion and not to get back on the ship.

As someone else mentioned, the time on your cell phone will also adjust to your location - and that time might not match the ship's time.

I had a BB 8800 series that I took the sim out of on a cruise. But without the sim, it would not let me shut it off. Thus I wound up with a dead (Dead! Dead! Dead!) battery and have never been able to get the BB working again.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I don't like to wear a watch just for the simple fact I cant stand anything around my wrist and since I already have the phone I just figured I would use it instead of spending money on a watch that I probably will never use again.

As for the time zone changes. I live in Southeast Texas, we are leaving out of Galveston for Progreso and Cozumel and the time is the same there so hopefullly I wont have to worry about it changing. That is unless my phone just goes crazy on its own lol.

I have a Motorola Razr. I'm just concerned that I wouldn't hear the alarm go off. :confused: So I simply take the clock radio from my bedroom - I KNOW I'll hear that alarm; at least I do Monday through Friday to get up for work.:rolleyes: On my Princess cruise last month, the telephone in the cabin didn't have a display on it so I definately had need of my clock-radio.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I don't like to wear a watch just for the simple fact I cant stand anything around my wrist and since I already have the phone I just figured I would use it instead of spending money on a watch that I probably will never use again.

As for the time zone changes. I live in Southeast Texas, we are leaving out of Galveston for Progreso and Cozumel and the time is the same there so hopefullly I wont have to worry about it changing. That is unless my phone just goes crazy on its own lol.

When are you travelling? When most of the US is on Daylight Savings Time, you could incur problems. The ship's time could be different than the time in Mexicodepending on the time of year.

Archived