To cruise or not to cruise???

Julienatul

Ok, Here is my Dilemma

Do I book this cruise???

My parents and sister, brother-in-law and my nephew age 3 are planning a short 5day Oct cruise out of Tampa (20 min from home). They asked us if we would like to join them. Its a great deal price wise and I think we could get the time off work. It also leaves on DD's birthday and my birthday is also that week so it would cover both (cruise birthday celebration).

The only downfall is DS will only be 22mo then, so he would be with us the entire time. He is an active boy but travels well. This would be his 4th cruise so we are used to traveling with him. We are already booked on a new yrs cruise Dec/Jan since DS will be 2 then.

So, would you book it or just hold off until DS turns two and do more next year?

If you are sailing on Radiance of the Seas, they will have in cabin babysitting, first come first serve from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. depending on babysitter availability. You must fill in a request form at Guest Services after boarding.

Carnival also offers late night babysitting in Camp Carnival (from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.) as well as port day morning babysitting and sea day babysitting during Family Time.

Both RCCL and Carnival charge a fee for these services.

I'd go, too....sounds like fun! You're used to having your child with you...that shouldn't be a problem!

Does your cruiseline offer babysitting? If so, that may be of use to you. If not...take him along...not a big deal!

This is just my opinion. I've been there, done that and I don't know if I would go. For me, the cruises are easy until the child is around 18 months, then the kids are too old to not notice the pool, but not old enough to be potty trained.

From that "awareness" point until they are potty trained, unless you are on one of the few ships which accommodate non potty trained kids, they become very frustrating (for parents and kids).

Even more so since he's not kids' club eligible. If he were two and was on a ship where he could go to the kids club, then that would take the edge off, but to be non club eligible and non pool eligible, I'd think twice.

Of course, that's just my opinion and is wholly based upon my personality and the personality of my kids.

I'm in the same situation, DS will be just shy of 4 and DD will be 22 months at the time of our cruise in December. I went ahead and booked our cruise anyways because like you, we live close to Port Everglades and POM. I figure we will have plenty of other opportunities to cruise and I don't want to miss even one!

I go back and forth. When DS acts up at home I say no way then later on I think maybe it will be ok. DS is very active so Im hoping I can keep him entertained long enough. He loves music and dancing. He just doesnt like to sit still. With DD, I remember around 18mo was the toughest time to cruise (we climbed stairs the entire cruise)about 24 mo it was easier. I am hoping DS matures a little over the next few months. The cruise we are looking at is 2 days in port and 2 days at sea. He loves the beach and water so that would work on port days. I guess with enough toys and family helping, we should be fine. Now my sister and her husband are second thinking the cruise because of the oil spill, so we'll see what happens.

Archived