Bay of Fundy or Peggy's Cove? OR????

Is it possible to see both in the one day? We would be using a private guide or rental car...

The Bay of Fundy is an excursion to take when docked in Saint John, NB.

Peggy's Cove is an excursion to take when docked in Halifax, NS.

Technically, they both could be done out of Halifax. Takes about an hour to get from Halifax to Peggy's Cove, then 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Peggy's Cove to Wolfville which is on the bay of Fundy, then an hour to get back to Halifax. Just all a matter of whether you want to spend 4 hours driving.

Technically, they both could be done out of Halifax. Takes about an hour to get from Halifax to Peggy's Cove, then 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Peggy's Cove to Wolfville which is on the bay of Fundy, then an hour to get back to Halifax. Just all a matter of whether you want to spend 4 hours driving.

If we only do one of them, which is more interesting? This is our first time (and maybe our only time) in the area.

Accept the fact you can't see everything, and pick one thing you would enjoy. Personally, I wouldn't do either. I'd rent a car and drive to the south shore, and go to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, and maybe a quick drive through Blue Rocks.

If we only do one of them, which is more interesting? This is our first time (and maybe our only time) in the area.

Hmmmmm, I'd skip Fundy, you can do that more easily from Saint John as Acey says. I'd take 6rugrats' suggestion with a twist. I'd head to Lunenburg & Mahone Bay via Peggys Cove and along the coast. The diversion to Peggys Cove is a little extra time but, IMHO, a picturesque drive and well worth it. You might want to take a few minutes to stop at the Swiss Air 111 Memorial just about a mile up the road from Peggys Cove. Your trip back to Halifax can be done more quickly along Rte 103

Definitely rent a car and drive to Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. This is a doable day trip and a lovely drive.

You will want to come back to Nova Scotia and you can see the Bay of Fundy when you do, along with going around the Cabot Trail, going whale watching, etc., etc.

I noticed the town of Lunenburg the other day in my research and it looked very nice, but I thought it was too far in one day. I did a mapquest and it's 48 min to Peggy's cove, 1 hr and 20 min between Peggy's cove and Lunenberg, then 1 hr 16 min back to Halifax. Are the roads back to Halifax 1 or 2 lanes? Any construction going on? It is doable, but I also wanted a little time in Halifax. Any other towns of interest closer to Peggy's Cove?

I noticed the town of Lunenburg the other day in my research and it looked very nice, but I thought it was too far in one day. I did a mapquest and it's 48 min to Peggy's cove, 1 hr and 20 min between Peggy's cove and Lunenberg, then 1 hr 16 min back to Halifax. Are the roads back to Halifax 1 or 2 lanes? Any construction going on? It is doable, but I also wanted a little time in Halifax. Any other towns of interest closer to Peggy's Cove?

If you have an entire day, it's not too far. Lunenburg is ~sixty miles southwest of Halifax; about 1.5 drive. Hwy 103 & 102 are four lane roads. I have never run into much traffic. I don't think there's anything of much interest before Peggy's Cove, but perhaps someone else knows of something.

The roads back to Halifax from Lunenburg are a combination of 2 and 4 lane, Rte 103 between Lunenburg and Upper Tantallon about 2/3 of the way, if I remember correctly, is mostly 2 lane with some passing zones. The rest is 4 lane divided highway for the most part. The road to Peggys Cove is narrow two lane and is very winding. There is road construction going on at various spots along Rte 103 over the summer, you could check here for that info http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/telenium/roadconditions.asp.

I'm not sure how long you've got but I think it still might be doable.

I just went to Google maps and put in Peggys Cove. Then I put in to get directions from Peggys Cove to Lunenburg and got a clear map which shows the way from Halifax to Peggys Cove and then to Lunenburg. They say it is one hour and 20 minutes from Peggys Cove to Lunenburg. I think it may be a bit less.

I would advise going first from Halifax to Lunenburg on the 103 (mostly 4 lane) highway. According to Google maps this is 1:16 minutes. Then head back towards Halifax to Mahone Bay. This should take about 11 minutes on Route 3. From Mahone Bay get back onto the 103 and go to the exit for Peggys Cove on Route 333 (1:08 minutes)

Rounding all this up in time totals about three and a half hours. This should still leave plenty of time for exploring.

I just went to Google maps and put in Peggys Cove. Then I put in to get directions from Peggys Cove to Lunenburg and got a clear map which shows the way from Halifax to Peggys Cove and then to Lunenburg. They say it is one hour and 20 minutes from Peggys Cove to Lunenburg. I think it may be a bit less.

I would advise going first from Halifax to Lunenburg on the 103 (mostly 4 lane) highway. According to Google maps this is 1:16 minutes. Then head back towards Halifax to Mahone Bay. This should take about 11 minutes on Route 3. From Mahone Bay get back onto the 103 and go to the exit for Peggys Cove on Route 333 (1:08 minutes)

Rounding all this up in time totals about three and a half hours. This should still leave plenty of time for exploring.

Okay rented a car this evening and I am going to follow this route. If anyone has ay additional bits of info please share - I am all ears.

Otherwise thanks for all the information. I truely am greatful :D.

Can you recommend a good place to eat lunch on that route through Lunenburg to Peggy's Cove?

In Mahone Bay, I like the Cheesecake Gallery, but sitting outside if possible, is advised. Avoid the Innlet Cafe in Mahone Bay, it's awful. The Mug & Anchor Cafe is o.k. for food, but if you can sit out on the deck, it has a lovely view. Gazebo Cafe can be good, but it's irratic, and one never knows when they are open. You can get take away at Jo-Ann's Deli; they make good sandwiches, and then you can stop at a pretty spot on the way back to Halifax and eat.

In Lunenburg, Magnolia's is good, but gets crowded very quickly, so eat early. There are a couple pubs you may want to try, Salt Shaker or the Knot Pub.

I don't know anywhere good to eat on the road back. We've only stopped at McDonalds in desperation when arriving late at night and driving back from the airport.

Archived