Free Beach/Pool Access at Mexican Riviera Hotels

Someone will likely suggest this post belongs in the Mexican Riviera "Ports of Call" section but there seems to be very little action on that forum so I'll post here instead.

I read in the Mariner Cruise Compass that passengers can show their SeaPass at Las Flores Beach Resort in Mazatlan for complimentary beach and pool access. Clearly this is a lot cheaper than booking an RCI "Resort Getaway" excursion. I have a sense from reading the boards that other beachfront resorts and hotels also offer complimentary access as long as you order food and drinks throughout the day, but I've never seen specifics.

Some friends and I will be on the Mariner in August cruising to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and will be on a limited budget. I would appreciate information from people who have visited these ports and have used hotel facilities:

• Is beach and pool use for non-guests a common practice?
  • If so, what is the process for gaining access?
  • How do you find out which hotels have these policies?
  • Are there specific hotels or resorts in these ports that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

To the best of my knowledge all the beaches in Mexico are public beaches. There are hotels in the Golden Zone (Mazatlan) that will allow you use of the pools even if you do not purchase food. The name of the one we used escapes me right now. I am sure others can help out.

Krystal in Puerto Vallarta allows pool use when purchasing food or drink. It is about 6 blocks from the cruise pier. Look for the bright yellow roof. It should be to your right as you exit the pier.

The beaches in Mexico are public. But most resorts will not allow non-guests to use the pools area as the paying guests would not be too happy to find the already crowed pool chairs full of people who were not even staying there. There are some exceptions. The ME resort in Cabo does allow cruise passengers to use their facilities for a fee. It can range from $30-$50 per person depending on the season. That charge is than applied to your bill at the end of the day. Not sure why you need a pool though. Medano beach in Cabo is lined with beach bars/restaurants that all allow you to use their lounge chairs for free as long as you are buying food and drinks.

Thanks to those who replied. The reason I asked about pool as well as beach access is the need to retreat to a cool, shady area after time in the sun.

Can you recommend any resorts/hotels or other businesses where you can rent kayaks or snorkeling equipment by the hour?

Archived