Mobility Issue - Ruby Princess

KyRoamer

Please forgive the double post but my roll call post got no responses I this seemed a better place.

Recently I had my first experience with sciatica. I do well seated and have no problem sleeping but walking is tough at times. Standing is even tougher.

I seriously thought of canceling the trip but this seems like such a perfect itinerary I hate to give it up for something that can clear up and go away just as quickly as it came.

I will not have a wheel chair or scooter with me and hope that I can get along without. However, I wanted to know how much help I can expect from the ship if I need a "ride" to dinner or a way to bypass long lines leaving the ship.

I have been prescribed pain medication that is helping with walking and do not believe movement around the ship will be an issue but I may be wrong.

I know that the spa can provide massages and that many ships have acupuncturists. Do they have anyone trained as a physical therapist/personal trainer on board? On our last cruise we had the need for medical assistance and found the staff doctors wonderful. Do they have anyone with chiropractic training or any equipment that can be used for minimal traction?

Now once in a port I can grab a taxi and use it for transportation to minimize walking. But how far is it from dock to where taxis and tour guides are waiting and does the ship help those get there who need help?

Right now I can walk several blocks before I am in trouble. I expect to be able to do a mile or more by cruise time. But this cruise does a port a day with only one day at sea and I want to do it all. That's why we picked it.

I got a walking stick but it doesn't really help much once the pain starts. I see several threads warning against the canes with seats as unstable, too low, etc. Being an optimist, I have not bought one of those walker devises with a seat. Maybe I should but that would be giving in.

Any advice you more experience cruisers or people with limited mobility can give will be appreciated.My wife's advice is to cancel. We have trip insurance.

Travel is very educational. I can now say "Kaopectate" in seven different languages.

"I will not have a wheel chair or scooter with me and hope that I can get along without. However, I wanted to know how much help I can expect from the ship if I need a "ride" to dinner or a way to bypass long lines leaving the ship."

You may have a problem here. Princess doesn't assist in this situation, and they will not provide someone to push you to dinner or back to your cabin in a ships wheelchair.

Only suggestion I can give you is to have someone acompany you on this sailing to assist in case you need it.

Also, if a wheelchair MIGHT be needed, you need to take one along with you. Princess supplies wheelchairs ONLY in an emergency now, and they do not lend them out for the length of the cruise.

It sounds like you might run into problems on this cruise, maybe, maybe not. But taking someone with you just in case would be the only answer I would have.

My mother and I were on a cruise two years ago. She was in a similar situation, and there was so much walking. Even the walk from the stateroom to the MDR would wear her out.

At that time, Princess did loan us a wheelchair, but as Toto said, this is not a practice any longer.

Are you travelling alone? If not, maybe your travel partner can help you out.

If you do go, remember that if you are tired, you can always relax in your stateroom and order room service.

I hope that you feel better soon.:)

I just re-read your post, and another question here: "Now once in a port I can grab a taxi and use it for transportation to minimize walking. But how far is it from dock to where taxis and tour guides are waiting and does the ship help those get there who need help?"

The definite answer to this is NO, they do not provide assistance.

(I think you see what we are getting at here?) If you are traveling solo, this would be an impossible trip for you if your problem acted up. If traveling with your wife, hopefully she can assist. If not, you will be stuck in your cabin or the medical center for the duration as the ship does not provide assistance to passengers with medical condtions.

This might be worth a read to you, it is from the passenger contract.

9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM CARRIER OF SPECIAL NEEDS.

You agree that You or Your travel agent must, at the time You book Your Cruise, inform Carrier in writing of any special need or other condition for which You or any other person in Your care may require medical attention or accommodation during the Cruise, or for which the use of a wheelchair or service animal is contemplated or necessary. If any such special need or condition arises after You have booked the Cruise, You must report it in writing to Carrier as soon as You become aware of it. Passengers acknowledge and understand that certain international, foreign or local safety requirements, standards, and/or applicable regulations involving design, construction or operation of the vessel, docks, gangways, anchorages or other facilities on or off the vessel may restrict access to facilities or activities for persons with mobility, communication or other impairments or special needs. Passengers requiring the use of a wheelchair must provide their own as Carrier’s wheelchairs carried on board the vessel are for emergency medical use only. Failure to report any such condition will release Carrier, the shipboard doctor and all other personnel from any liability related to the accommodation or treatment of such condition or for any other conduct whatsoever in connection therewith. Passengers acknowledge and agree Carrier may disembark or refuse to embark You as set forth in Section 4.

Please forgive the double post but my roll call post got no responses I this seemed a better place.

Recently I had my first experience with sciatica. I do well seated and have no problem sleeping but walking is tough at times. Standing is even tougher.

I seriously thought of canceling the trip but this seems like such a perfect itinerary I hate to give it up for something that can clear up and go away just as quickly as it came.

I will not have a wheel chair or scooter with me and hope that I can get along without. However, I wanted to know how much help I can expect from the ship if I need a "ride" to dinner or a way to bypass long lines leaving the ship.

I have been prescribed pain medication that is helping with walking and do not believe movement around the ship will be an issue but I may be wrong.

I know that the spa can provide massages and that many ships have acupuncturists. Do they have anyone trained as a physical therapist/personal trainer on board? On our last cruise we had the need for medical assistance and found the staff doctors wonderful. Do they have anyone with chiropractic training or any equipment that can be used for minimal traction?

Now once in a port I can grab a taxi and use it for transportation to minimize walking. But how far is it from dock to where taxis and tour guides are waiting and does the ship help those get there who need help?

Right now I can walk several blocks before I am in trouble. I expect to be able to do a mile or more by cruise time. But this cruise does a port a day with only one day at sea and I want to do it all. That's why we picked it.

I got a walking stick but it doesn't really help much once the pain starts. I see several threads warning against the canes with seats as unstable, too low, etc. Being an optimist, I have not bought one of those walker devises with a seat. Maybe I should but that would be giving in.

Any advice you more experience cruisers or people with limited mobility can give will be appreciated.My wife's advice is to cancel. We have trip insurance.

Travel is very educational. I can now say "Kaopectate" in seven different languages.

If you come over to the disability board you'll see where lots of folks do use the canes with seats .. yes, unstable, but not for someone who is generally mobile, able to walk, but not stand in line..like you. And it's not a matter of "giving in" to use mobility assistance devices..it's accommodation.

Generally you will not find trained physical therapists or chiropractors on board. Nor will Princess assist you once you're ON board.

When you arrive at the pier, however, you can request a wheelchair to be used to board the ship only. They will get you a wheelchair and push you (yes, to the front of the lines) on to the ship. Once you're on the ship, you're on your own, though. Same for getting off -- they'll help you to shore, but then you're on your own.

How far it is to taxis, etc., once you are on shore is impossible to say, as it will differ in every port. Sometimes they're right there, waiting; other times you have to walk quite a distance to where they are located. These days with all the security precautions in place, they're more often further away.

I'd really suggest you take a manual wheelchair with you. Distances on board are deceptively long, and there aren't always places to sit or rest along the way. I'd suggest a power chair or scooter, but at this late date, you don't have an accessible cabin and the chances of getting one now are slim to none. At least the manual chair can be folded and set aside inside the cabin, once you're at your cabin door.

I hope this works out for you!

You didn't mention that you planned any tours but take that into consideration also. Even if yopu are going on your own, alot of the streets and walkways in some cities and towns are not very "pedestrian friendly".

On such a port intensive itinerary, the tours demand ALOT of walking... alot of up and down stairs also. The tour information on the Princess web site will indicate that. All involve getting on an off tour buses.

Scooters are a common sight onboard. you should consider if one would benefit you.

I think you would be fine if you brought your own wheelchair or scooter and were able to operate it yourself. Princess posts which ports you may have mobility problems disembarking. As long as you are aware of this, you should be ok.

I was on the Ruby over New Years and injured my calf muscle (playing trivia of all things) and Princess was fantastic about loaning me a wheelchair, giving me a cane (weapon) and when my peeps went out on an excursion I could not do, there was always somebody on the ship happy to push me around! The staff is fantastic and they will help you even if they are not obligated to do this! Of course I couldn't stop writing up "you made a difference" cards thanking everybody for their help.

Be careful of the elevators, whoever is pushing you needs to be aggressive or you will never get on. When people are on vacation they often forget their manners with handicapped people. Some of the worse offenders are other handicapped people in scooters! Don't forget your weapon, I mean cane! :)

Amelia

I was on the Ruby over New Years and injured my calf muscle (playing trivia of all things) and Princess was fantastic about loaning me a wheelchair, giving me a cane (weapon) and when my peeps went out on an excursion I could not do, there was always somebody on the ship happy to push me around! The staff is fantastic and they will help you even if they are not obligated to do this! Of course I couldn't stop writing up "you made a difference" cards thanking everybody for their help.

Be careful of the elevators, whoever is pushing you needs to be aggressive or you will never get on. When people are on vacation they often forget their manners with handicapped people. Some of the worse offenders are other handicapped people in scooters! Don't forget your weapon, I mean cane! :)

Amelia

Your circumstances are a bit different. You injured yourself while on the cruise. And so yes, they did have a wheelchair available for your use, and it's good that they helped you. That's what the on-board wheelchairs are for -- people who come aboard "just fine", and get injured either on the ship or in port, and need the chair to continue their cruise.

The cruise lines otherwise are not letting people who have mobility issues and want to use the ship's chair do so, anymore.

A couple of cruises ago there was a person who got injured. While the ship let her use one of their chairs, they'd only take her to where (on the ship) she wanted to go, and she'd have to move out of the chair into another regular chair. Then when she wanted to go somewhere else, she had to call the desk (or "catch" a crew member passing by) who would go get the chair, come to her, move her to the next place, then take the chair away until she called again. Very inconvenient.

And you're right about the elevators...I've had to wait through many cycles before finally being able to wheel onto the elevator. People on scooters have the same problem...coupled with the fact that many of them don't normally use a scooter or powered chair at home, and so they're not skilled "drivers".

Your circumstances are a bit different. You injured yourself while on the cruise. And so yes, they did have a wheelchair available for your use, and it's good that they helped you. That's what the on-board wheelchairs are for -- people who come aboard "just fine", and get injured either on the ship or in port, and need the chair to continue their cruise.

The cruise lines otherwise are not letting people who have mobility issues and want to use the ship's chair do so, anymore.

A couple of cruises ago there was a person who got injured. While the ship let her use one of their chairs, they'd only take her to where (on the ship) she wanted to go, and she'd have to move out of the chair into another regular chair. Then when she wanted to go somewhere else, she had to call the desk (or "catch" a crew member passing by) who would go get the chair, come to her, move her to the next place, then take the chair away until she called again. Very inconvenient.

And you're right about the elevators...I've had to wait through many cycles before finally being able to wheel onto the elevator. People on scooters have the same problem...coupled with the fact that many of them don't normally use a scooter or powered chair at home, and so they're not skilled "drivers".

Yes my situation was different, and I was trying to illustrate that this staff took exceptional care of me, above and beyond the call of duty and that is what I would expect any person who has mobility issues to be treated like on this ship.

Ever think about renting an electronic foot scooter? This seems like a small thing that could provide some relief. Maybe rent a scooter and zip around the ship with it?

Yes my situation was different, and I was trying to illustrate that this staff took exceptional care of me, above and beyond the call of duty and that is what I would expect any person who has mobility issues to be treated like on this ship.

Ever think about renting an electronic foot scooter? This seems like a small thing that could provide some relief. Maybe rent a scooter and zip around the ship with it?

I actually do rent a power wheelchair now -- at an additional cost of $450 for a 7 day cruise. But well worth it!

I've had sciatica a couple of times (on both sides) and it's very painful, so I can relate. My doctor gave me not only pain medicine but a muscle relaxant as well. I felt knocked out for a day or so but after 3 - 4 days, I was a LOT better and able to manage it with the pain medicine. The first time I got it, I was moving from MA to CA and lifted about 10 too many heavy boxes. As I'm single and lived alone, there was no one else to help with the packing of personal items and going through decades of stuff so it was really, really bad. The combination of medicines worked for me then. I got it again while on a 28-day HAL cruise, I'm sure from the poor mattress support (soft isn't always the best thing for you.) When I got home, it went away within days using the muscle relaxant and pain medicine. Now I don't travel without these medicines.

The one good thing about the Princess "hard" beds is that they do have a lot of support, at least those I've used. I've never had a twinge of sciatica on a Princess cruise but always do on HAL cruises.

I actually do rent a power wheelchair now -- at an additional cost of $450 for a 7 day cruise. But well worth it!

My experience opened my eyes to what it might be like living with a disability, mine was only temporary but I sure behave differently around disabled folks now.

Amelia

Great to hear from so many of you. We will likely rebook for late July as soon as I am sure my condition has stabilized. Had it occurred earlier I would have had time to consider wheelchairs, scooters, etc. But with just a few days before I was to leave, no luck.

On our last cruise through the Panama Canal my wife tore her calf muscle. The medical staff was tremendous. She got a boot for her left leg and went on as if nothing happened. The boot was fine on level ground and walking steps. Sloped rain forest trails were nearly impossible. She refused to be seen in a wheel chair (except for the initial trip to/from the infirmary) so I never learned if they would assist or not.

That said, I understand the difference between an onboard accident and coming aboard injured without having made provisions to take care of yourself.

Thanks again for caring and your good advice.

Amelia

Amelia, Amelia, Amelia, don't you know you need to get in shape beforehand?! In preparation for my next cruise, I've already started with wind sprints and I'm up to bench-pressing 10 tiny golf pencils.

amelia, amelia, amelia, don't you know you need to get in shape beforehand?! In preparation for my next cruise, i've already started with wind sprints and i'm up to bench-pressing 10 tiny golf pencils.

lol...

Archived