oil has hit pensacola beach

jj1975

I don't know about Florida, but, AL and MS sent out crews to pick the beaches clean of EVERYTHING prior to the oil making landfall, and other than the oil blobs washing up periodically, I don't think the beaches have ever been cleaner.

The pictures of people in swimsuits coexisting with workers (over)dressed in hazmat gear does make an interesting contrast.

Sheesh. Works for me. Just because I'm from Louisiana, I guess that means I know nothing. :D

It seems that you are a person who just doesn't care ... just love hearing yourself talk. :rolleyes:

I do care and can understand why some put you on ignore. Welcome to my list. :rolleyes:

Sarge you can add me on your list as well, that will keep me from having to do it

It seems like you have something at stake here other than the oil in the Gulf of Mexico

I do care and can understand why some put you on ignore. Welcome to my list. :rolleyes:

I feel so honored. Those of you with thin skins who only can accept your own opinions as gospel. How sad.

It's so ironic that I hit such a nerve with both of 'you' too close to home I suspect. :)

Has there been any noticeable and or documented decline in tourism in the effected areas along Florida’s panhandle coastal area?

Yes. LA, MS and AL as well. Not a good time to be a restaurant, hotel or condo owner trying to rent. Nor in the seafood industry. I personally know 20 -25 people who work in seafood who are basically out of work now.

I feel so honored. Those of you with thin skins who only can accept your own opinions as gospel. How sad.

It's so ironic that I hit such a nerve with both of 'you' too close to home I suspect. :)

Lejardin, who's the both of you...I'm on your side here. Sorry if you misunderstood my post:)

Sanibel Island has had a few cancellations for June. However, their hotels and guest houses have practically no reservations for July and August.

Unfortunately, they think they can only get compensated for cancellations, (which they can prove) not from those who choose not to book at all.

Sanibel Island has had a few cancellations for June. However, their hotels and guest houses have practically no reservations for July and August.

Unfortunately, they think they can only get compensated for cancellations, (which they can prove) not from those who choose not to book at all.

They need to document past years to show the drop in bookings this year. I think they stand a good chance at compensation.

Lejardin, who's the both of you...I'm on your side here. Sorry if you misunderstood my post:)

Fire yes that is who I am referring to. She got very upset that I opposed her opinion ... like she thinks 'DO NOT DARE OPPOSE THE FIRE OR YOU WILL BE IGNORED" :) ha ha h aha whatever

I care about what's happening and dont' give a rats patouty who or who does not agree with me. SS doesn't care, he just wants to spout. Let's hear it from all who are sickened about what is happeneing in the gulf and who want to do something about it.

Lejardin, I am also more interested in hearing from people who are sickened and would like to do something about it. Think the detractors just waste space/time.

It would be nice to start a thread on CC for people who have helped / are helping / know of ways to help. Just a thought.

Mafig - I think it was Futaba that mentioned the 50 boat rule, I hadn't heard that. Very nice about volunteering in the bird sanctuary!!

Lejardin, I am also more interested in hearing from people who are sickened and would like to do something about it. Think the detractors just waste space/time.

It would be nice to start a thread on CC for people who have helped / are helping / know of ways to help. Just a thought.

Mafig - I think it was Futaba that mentioned the 50 boat rule, I hadn't heard that. Very nice about volunteering in the bird sanctuary!!

It is very frustrating hearing stories like this one in the following link. When people are ready, willing and able. This from a very reputable organization in Sarasota...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100604/VIDEO/6042002&template=video

I live 3 miles from the Gulf near the AL/MS state line and I stepped outside and the smell of oil is in the air. It smells like kerosene. This is the first time that I have smelled it. :mad:

Wow, you can smell the oil 3 miles inland? I feel for anyone living near the Gulf coast. And the poor marine and wildlife. And BP's CEO says he's wants his life back! How cold is that??

How does the oil affect the ships?

US_NEWS_OILSPILL_9__459925e.jpg

PERDIDO KEY — Black, greasy blotches matted this Panhandle beach as an oily substance appeared in the Gulf of Mexico late Tuesday, prompting Florida officials to warn swimmers to stay out of the surf for the first time since the April 20 Deepwater Horizon explosion.

The first signs warning people not to enter the water because of pollution from the BP disaster went up on a Florida beach Tuesday evening.

Officials said the advisories were only for the water and said that all beaches remain open.

The Escambia County Health Department posted the signs along six miles of white-sand beaches on Perdido Key from the Alabama-Florida boundary to the Gulf Islands Seashore national park. They went up just before sunset on the boardwalks at Perdido Key state park and at entrances to public beaches.

The county warned people not to enter the water and to avoid any skin contact with oily water or dead sea animals. The health advisory states that people should not wade, swim, ski or fish in the water or eat fish that have a petroleum odor.

"Young children, pregnant women, people with compromised immune systems and individuals with underling respiratory conditions should avoid the area," the advisory also says.

The oily sheen mixed with tar is the worst of the oil spill to affect the Panhandle since tar balls began washing ashore Friday, the same day that adjacent Alabama closed its beaches to fishing and swimming.

But Escambia County officials emphasized that their advisories are only warnings, and those who violate them will not be fined or punished.

Deidre Cattell said she would not allow her daughters in the water if she saw oil in it, but was not disturbed by the tar as the girls waded and boogie-boarded in the Gulf because she grew up on beaches marred by tar.

"I think it's very sad that the white beautiful beach looks like this, but have you ever seen the beaches in Texas?" she said.

Sherry Wagner and her 17-year-old daughter, Nautica, who live across the street from the state park, were on the beach while workers put up a sign.

"We're disgusted, of course," Wagner said after handing a county worker a plastic grocery bag bursting with tar-infested sea weed and tar balls and patties that she and her daughter collected.

After reading the sign advising swimmers to stay out of the water, Wagner frowned.

"H. Well, I agree people should not touch it with their hands," said Wagner, who has lived by the park for more than 20 years.

She worries that a hurricane could carry the tar and oil across the dunes and into the canal behind her house. She also was concerned about the long-term effects of the oil.

"Her children will probably be dealing with it," she said, pointing to Nautica.

"We're not going to be able to sell our house any time soon. We're not going to be able to enjoy the beach. Or our boat," Wagner said. "It's not good."

"I think it's very sad that the white beautiful beach looks like this, but have you ever seen the beaches in Texas?" she said.

.... and here I was looking forward to staying across from the Galveston beach on my next cruise lol. Hey at least I can walk along the boardwalk for about 3 miles, even if the sand isnt pure white...

Not to diminish the problem ...but that sure is a wierd thing to say to me.

You're talking about the longest stretch of white-sand beach in the world and is so white that traders reportedly sold it as sugar in World War II.:D

Come visit sometime, I've been on a lot of cruises and these beaches can compete with any that I've seen as of right now I can say that. I pray that it stays that away.

Archived