June 30 Strike by Tourism Workers in Greece

TLCOhio

From the Wall Street Journal within the past few hours, they have this headline: "Greek Tourism Workers To Strike June 30" with these highlights: "Greece's tourist workers union said Friday it will stage a 24-hour strike on June 30, the latest blow to the important industry as it braces for another weak summer season. With its whitewashed villages and sunny Mediterranean climate, Greece is one of the world's top 20 holiday destinations. Each year Greece attracts some 13 million tourists, and the industry is estimated to account for roughly 15% of the gross domestic product and about one in five jobs. However, the industry has already been hit by months of negative publicity, protests and riots surrounding Greece's protracted fiscal crisis. Greek hoteliers say tourism income will shrink by about 10% this year--after an already weak 2009--as foreign tourists spend less on holidays or steer clear of Greece altogether."

This story also noted that seamen have already staged two protests on the Athens docks. The most recent was this past Monday, aimed at obstructing cruise ship arrivals and departures. On Wednesday, dozens of angry fishermen temporarily blockaded Greek ports, also affecting cruise ships and ferry operations. In additional to the 24-hour strike on June 30, this union will also stage a four-hour work stoppage and rally on June 16.

Full stories at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100604-705200.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2010/06/04/tourism-union-strikes-greece-travel-disrupted-further/

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

This is terrible news...that's the day our cruise ship the Ruby Princess is supposed to dock there - how disappointing..is this definite?

It's as "definite" as an announcement by a union being reported by major news sources. It could change. Maybe not. I would check back as your cruise gets closer. You can go to Google.com and on their news section, search "Greece strike". That will tell you what more recent stories have been reported. I would also check with your cruise line to see what options and alternatives they might be considering if this happens. In some cases, if they know in advance, they will juggle their schedules for port stops. Good luck!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If I'm reading these correctly, it seems as if this strike is limited to Athens. Any feedback as to whether it might affect other places? We are supposed to be in Mykonos that day.

The articles actually says "Greece", not just Athens for these strikes. I would watch closely what happens on June 16, plus check the media coverage as things get closer to the magic June 30 date. Hopefully things will work out for you in Mykonos. Good luck.

If restaurants are involved, it could effect us as we'll be in port and want to eat lunch while in Mykonos. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well that day!

I don't think so,but nothing is guaranteed in life .

Most people will not (and cannot afford) to strike.

This is an unknown "fringe" type union,of sorts,most people never even heard of it.

I will be extraordinary if you are affected by it.

Most places you will visit are mom and pop type businesses,even if their employees don't show up ,the owner ,

their wife and kids and all available relatives will be there.Plus many places employee illegals as servers and cooks.They will go to work.

I have been wrong before ,but I just don't see this one happening to a degree that will have major (if any) implications to you guys.

Just my two drachma worth.

You may be in for a surprise if you try to get on the Ruby Princess in Rome on 6/18. She will be in Rhodes that day. I am on the cruise before you.

yep. getting excited and a little apprehensive about these issues....

Our ship embarks in Athens in Sept, but I'm not hopeful that strikes will be over by then. Good luck to all in the meantime. We were hoping to use public transportation from airport, but in light of the strikes we have pre-booked private transportation-more expensive but have peace of mind :mad:

Our ship embarks in Athens in Sept, but I'm not hopeful that strikes will be over by then. Good luck to all in the meantime. We were hoping to use public transportation from airport, but in light of the strikes we have pre-booked private transportation-more expensive but have peace of mind :mad:

Smart move in making this booking. In many cases, things will work out better than the potential, worst-case situation from these strikes, etc. BUT, keep an eye on it and being prepared for making "adjustments" are smart. Good luck to all visiting Greece this summer and fall. We'll be north in Copenhagen and Norway.

Just back from Greece.

It is time to stop this doom and gloom on the boards. The strikes and demonstrations have minimal impact on tourism. Only once in the past dozens of years has there been any violence associated with any demonstrations and that was by a bunch of foreign thughs a few weeks ago.

Just back from Greece. It is time to stop this doom and gloom on the boards. The strikes and demonstrations have minimal impact on tourism. Only once in the past dozens of years has there been any violence associated with any demonstrations and that was by a bunch of foreign thughs a few weeks ago.

Not all comments are "doom and gloom". Note when I said "things will work out better than the potential, worst-case situation from these strikes, etc.". IF there's a strike when visiting there, it's important to know where to focus and what to avoid.

Here's an update on a couple of news items from Greece. From the Canadian Press yesterday, they have this headline: "Greece's tourism industry under threat as strikes, riots scare visitors away" with these highlights: "About two dozen striking Greeks were blocking a main avenue in front of parliament, forcing the driver to manoeuvre awkwardly and deprive visitors of their drive-by photos. It's scenes such as these — road closures, strikes shutting down archeological sites, the blockading of the main port of Piraeus turning away thousands of cruise passengers — that have horrified people in Greece's vital tourism industry as the country struggles to emerge from a vicious debt crisis that brought it to the brink of bankruptcy."

Athens is a large, large city. There could be an "activity" in one area, while everything else in the city is fine or nearly normally. It's a "luck of the draw" in timing, where and when you will be, etc. I have heard from some friends there recently that all was OK with no problems.

From the Wall Street Journal's Greek expert in Athens, he just posted this blog with this headline: "Greek Union Boss Envisages Further Strikes". Here are some of the highlights: "Greece’s most powerful union leader, Giannis Panagopoulos, is not a hot head who fires off needless threats of industrial action. Even so, he has promised to call yet more paralyzing strikes which would likely spark another round of street riots. Greece has already seen four country-wide strikes this year that brought the country to a stand still over government austerity measures and prospective pension reform. The problem of competitiveness in Greece has more to do with bureaucracy, corruption, an unstable and ever changing legal and tax framework, as well as a currency that cannot be devalued since it’s a euro-zone member." This story gives more background on the public versus private sectors of Greece's challenged economy.

Full stories at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jdlgb34Dpd0d2RBPUZ_6xHGBZFqA

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/06/16/greek-union-boss-envisages-further-strikes/

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

I'm arriving at Athens airport on June 29, the day when they are calling for a general strike. Wondering if the airport will be open!!!???

Originally it was called for June 30th. I wonder what caused the change ... and will it change again??

I was sure that some on our July 2nd sailing would be in this situation! We're arriving a few days later. I don't think anyone will know for sure until the day. They are calling for a "general" strike which I believe means they hope everyone will walk-off jobs. Even if airport is open for "landings" will all the airport support services be available? Good Luck!!!!

Archived