recommendation for 13 and 15 y/o boys

lyndenfa

We are Oceania loyal but have taken our grandsons on Disney three times. Next year we would like to take them on another cruise line. I think they have outgrown Disney. They are sports and adventure oriented and appreciate gourmet dining. Other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

We are Oceania loyal but have taken our grandsons on Disney three times. Next year we would like to take them on another cruise line. I think they have outgrown Disney. They are sports and adventure oriented and appreciate gourmet dining. Other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Oceania would not be the right line for them...

If I were taking kids that age, NO QUESTION, I'd go with Royal Caribbean on one of their larger, newer ships...

especially if the kids are "sports and adventure oriented"...

Those ships have Ice Rinks, Miniature Golf Courses, Golf Simulators, Full-sized Basketball courts, In-Line Roller Skating tracks, Rock Climbing Walls and Wave-generating Surfing Pools...

I know that when I was a teenager, those ships would have been my dream vacation...

Another vote for Royal Caribbean. Although the food is not gourmet, it is still pretty good and there is so much going on, especially for active teens. At 51, I still have a lot of fun with wave riders, watching rock climbers, and ice skating. Plus, there are lots of kids - on Oceania it would probably be just the two of them.

Hi lyndenfa. I believe you were on the Panama Canal cruise with us this year. A commuting friend told me that Disney will be in Europe so I guess it is where you want to cruise with your grandsons. There are always shore excursions you can booked yourselves that are adventurous such as the zip lining in Costa Rica or high speed zodiacs to go whale watching in Cabo or scuba/snorkeling trips. Having said that, I think another ship besides Oceania would be more enjoyable for the boys. Have a great time no matter where you go.

I think it depends on the maturity level of your grandsons as well as their interests. We met a mom traveling with her 12 year old son on Insignia last summer. Now granted this boy was 12 going on 30 but he and his mom were absolute delights and had a great time together on the cruise. We played team trivia together most days. He had more manners in the dining room than many an adult. Maybe this boy was unique (actually, I KNOW he is unique). Now he's 13...and we're traveling together with him and his Mom on another Oceania cruise this July.

There are no dedicated facilities for youngsters on Oceania, and I think many, if not most teens would be bored on those small ships.

Thanks to all who responded. I am sure the boys would be bored on Oceania and it was my omission that i didn't specify that in my request for ideas. I will look in to Royal Carribean, sounds great. Any other ideas still appreciated.

Archived