New policy!!! 1a solos no longer 150%

Froufie

It does suck that they have upped it to 200%. I cruise solo, but I choose to cruise in a balcony cabin, so I am used to paying 200% of the fare to be higher up and have my beloved balcony. I also have to pay a higher price for airfare to get to the port city, so cruising on the cheap is never going to happen for me...

If I look at the prices now and the prices from 1991 when I went for my first cruise the prices are close to the same. They want to make it cheap for the cruiser, but also need to make a profit. Remember, costs increase every year so the price has to be adjusted slightly to accommodate the increase in costs!

I'll still cruise. It only means I have to take less spending money and there will be less money spent onboard the ship...

While small, I think at least one cruise (NCL maybe?) is adding some single cabins (Epic?).

Does anyone think Carnival will not give full OBCs for singles for such things as FCCs? I didn't think so. Singles get screwed twice.

Have you priced those solo's on Epic?? someone wrote that they were expensive ... dont know, since I dont plan on doing NCL. Iv heard they are no bargain.

nunu, Id like to hear more too, just out of curiousity, rather than because I plan on sailing NCL

Well I'm basing my posts on what the crew has announced on my cruises and my personal observations.

Enjoy your fantasies

Capacity is determined by figuring out double occupancy for every cabin, then they add in the 3rd and 4th pax who are booked on the cruise. That's how Carnival used to sail at 105% capacity, not because necessarily every cabin is booked, they may or may not be... In the summer when there are more kids onboard, capacity is almost always over 100%.

If I look at the prices now and the prices from 1991 when I went for my first cruise the prices are close to the same. They want to make it cheap for the cruiser, but also need to make a profit. Remember, costs increase every year so the price has to be adjusted slightly to accommodate the increase in costs!

I agree with this 100%...of course they need to make a profit!!!!! But as I stated earlier, if they need increased revenue (and I imagine they do) they need to adjust their prices across the board. Prices are ridiculously low if you compare to what we paid back in the late 80's/early 90's and take 20 years of inflation into consideration (I too, took my very first cruise back in 1991 and we paid $1,100 for an inside cabin for 7 days...isn't that basically what you would pay now??? :confused:)

CCL needs to stop making cuts, stop screwing over certain cruisers (like solo cruisers) and just increase their rates fairly and give us all a decent cruise experience.

Yes, other lines may charge 200% for the solo cruiser...but now, people who sailed CCL because of the better rate for solo cruisers, will indeed look at other options. CCL will be on equal footing in regard to solo pricing ....sort of. Because now on top of the increased solo rate AND all the other cuts they are making, they now are going to become lower on the list for people.

This is kinda what happened with me. When I first ventured away from CCL to try somethign new, CCL still remained my favorite. But since then, having had a few CCL cruises that were just NOT the same as they used to be, I am more and more likely to bump them from their top spot on my list. In fact, they have fallen to 2nd place...and if this trend keeps up, they'll go even lower.

So looke like Carnival is slipping a new policy into effect on MONDAY, JUNE 7TH (thanks for all the notice).

For all 1A solo cruise bookings after that date - you will be charged 200% and not the 150% (or sometimes less?) that is currently being offered.

As a frequent solo cruiser I think this SUCKS!!! I try to economize where possible and getting a good price on a 1A allows me to cruise solo without breaking the bank (and paying for someone who isn't there!). I guess Carnival is losin some revenue (as there is only one person in the cabin) so they have changed their pricing on these cabins. I know that not all of these cabins are conducive for 'couples' so they are not that popular. Wonder if they will still be as popular?:confused:

Any others out there who think this is a bad idea on Carnival's part? (I am considering writing them to voice my complaints but sounds like a done deal!):(

How do you know this is going to happen?

Have you priced those solo's on Epic?? someone wrote that they were expensive ... dont know, since I dont plan on doing NCL. Iv heard they are no bargain.

nunu, Id like to hear more too, just out of curiousity, rather than because I plan on sailing NCL

I did check about Epic, and this is what I learned: Epic's 7 day European cruise in 10-11 for a solo passenger is about $1000 with taxes. (in a studio cabin). On Carnival's Magic in 10-11 for the 9 day cruise for a solo passenger, is about $1300 with Select fare (would be about $100 less with the E.S. fare) This is in a 1A cabin with a Port Hole.....

I did check about Epic, and this is what I learned: Epic's 7 day European cruise in 10-11 for a solo passenger is about $1000 with taxes. (in a studio cabin). On Carnival's Magic in 10-11 for the 9 day cruise for a solo passenger, is about $1300 with Select fare (would be about $100 less with the E.S. fare) This is in a 1A cabin with a Port Hole.....

The cheapest I saw that Magic cruise (1A cabin) was 1,899.06 USD (because you are paying for two passengers)...guess I'm not looking at the right sites......

ES rate on CCL's web site for two people for that sailing is: 1,819.06

I checked on the 1A rate yesterday and was quoted the 200% already! That takes care of my 20 year old nephew, he was trying so hard to save the $ to join us.......:(

When I mentioned that 1 person spending money on-board is better than none, I was told by the Carnival representative they always sail full and if my nephew can't go someone else will, quite the attitude!

150% today.

Capacity is determined by figuring out double occupancy for every cabin, then they add in the 3rd and 4th pax who are booked on the cruise. That's how Carnival used to sail at 105% capacity, not because necessarily every cabin is booked, they may or may not be... In the summer when there are more kids onboard, capacity is almost always over 100%.

I understand all about capacity, I understand when I'm told all cabins are booked.

Do you two offer any evidence against Carnivals claim that they always sell out all cabins?

That is the original point, and the reason (as I understand it) that Carnival offers as their reason for increasing the single supplement to 100% of the fare, that is to say if you want a cabin to yourself, you will pay the fare of two people, which is considered standard capacity for that cabin.

The cheapest I saw that Magic cruise (1A cabin) was 1,899.06 USD (because you are paying for two passengers)...guess I'm not looking at the right sites......

ES rate on CCL for two people for that sailing is: 1,819.06

I booked Magic several months ago-maybe prices have gone up since then?????

Dan,

Carnival is not the only cruise line that gives solos a break - HAL and Princess do on inside and outside cabins on most cruises outside of holiday season. Carnival used to give price breaks on other categories, then changed it to just 1A.

As a solo, I tend to book the ship's shorex and participate in other ship activities, so I do generate some revenue for the cruise line. Plus I cruise once or twice a year. A steady cruiser does more for the bottom line than a one time flash in the pan cruiser.

I'm really puzzled as to why Carnival instituted this policy in the current economic climate - they must have data that shows a demand for the 1As by 2 passengers sailing together.

Roz

Good point...Sad news..yes many couples..many ages..do sail in 1A's; especially for that "extra" cruise I think...sjn911

No written policy that I am aware of (altho I understand if you now price a 1A cabin it will come up at the 200% fare?).

:(

Not so thus far. I have another window open with a %150 quote ready to send if I don't change my mind after finishing this thread.

Oct.07.2011 Fare Code:PNS

Stateroom Details

Stateroom:11274

Deck:PANORAMA

Category:1A Upgrade Your StateroomINSIDE STATEROOM

for $82.17/day OCEAN VIEW STATEROOM

for $148.83/day

Vacation Total

CRUISE RATE$1,318.50 Gov't Fees & Taxes$70.53 Total Amount$1,389.03

I just checked-still same price-still 150% for solo in a 1A

I think this is obviously meant to discourage solo cruisers? My friend *who has luckily already booked a special 1A cabin for future cruise) just got a call from our PVP - next cruise is 'ssafe - but this will definitely affect future cruise plans if Carnival is no longer 'value for money' I guess we can see what pricing is offered by other cruiseliens? Carnival was always a good value for solos -but not anymore! :(

Only way to look at this sad news!!! We will have fun now trying different ships...and lines...so glad I have a final 150% 1A..(NO. 2 Carnival cruise only) and if I cancel to embelish a 2011 trip on another line...so be it.

Maybe the least handy 1A's will start to go empty again with economy and on that note...

I wonder if they will watch the 1A fill ups this weekend and occaisionally run specials as things were??? At any rate..we can have fun now trying other lines...solos pay a premium for the "freedom" always...sjn911.

Stateroom Details

for $148.83/day

Vacation Total

Perhaps because today is the 6th. I understood it goes into effect on the 7th.

Roz:

My name is Pryd and I was the one who informed my cruise buddy Froufie about the pricing change for the 1A's

I got this directly from our PVP by a phone message telling me that Carnival was discontinuing the policy of charging 150% for 1A's they will now be charged 200%, and this change will take place on 6/7/10. She made it perfectly clear that if I was planning on any additional cruises, that it was important for me to make the reservations before that date or I will be charged the 200% rate.

My point in letting Froufie and CC'ers know about this change is 3 fold. #1 on most ships there are like 10 cabins that are designated 1A's. #2 those 10 people (possible Solo cruisers) do not make up the majority of bookings on the ship. #3 As mentioned before almost every one of the 1A's are a single bed and a pull down bunk. So making the cabin undesirable for a couple.

What could they possibly save by alienating all the single SOLO cruisers who will now abandon Carnival for other crusie lines.

This is nearly as bad as the Post charges (additional payment after final payment) for their Fuel suppliment they tried to shove down our throats a few years ago

Stateroom Details

for $148.83/day

Vacation Total

Not that I want to go on this cruise, but checked a 1a solo and got $1284.03 all inclusive.

I booked Magic several months ago-maybe prices have gone up since then?????

Yes, prices have gone up since we booked in January for May 2011. Our cabin has gone up $70 pp.

I'm hoping that with the Euro dropping in value it will affect prices for the dollar and we will have a drop in rates between now and next year. If so, woo-hoo--OBC. If not, we are okay so far, but I will be doing a lot of comparison shopping if Carnival holds to 200% for future cruises as I have been planning on going solo.

Roz:

My name is Pryd and I was the one who informed my cruise buddy Froufie about the pricing change for the 1A's

I got this directly from our PVP by a phone message telling me that Carnival was discontinuing the policy of charging 150% for 1A's they will now be charged 200%, and this change will take place on 6/7/10. She made it perfectly clear that if I was planning on any additional cruises, that it was important for me to make the reservations before that date or I will be charged the 200% rate.

My point in letting Froufie and CC'ers know about this change is 3 fold. #1 on most ships there are like 10 cabins that are designated 1A's. #2 those 10 people (possible Solo cruisers) do not make up the majority of bookings on the ship. #3 As mentioned before almost every one of the 1A's are a single bed and a pull down bunk. So making the cabin undesirable for a couple.

What could they possibly save by alienating all the single SOLO cruisers who will now abandon Carnival for other crusie lines.

This is nearly as bad as the Post charges (additional payment after final payment) for their Fuel suppliment they tried to shove down our throats a few years ago

I just found this thread..and immediately posted..thank you so much!!! I hope they reconsider!!!

OK. I've been 49/51 for booking an Oct 2011 solo cruise so I think I'll just go ahead and book it in a few minutes. Monday I will price it again to see if all this is true. I can't fiund a word about it anywhere but this thread. I'll ertainly be most grateful for this thread if the price goes to 200% on Monday, that's for sure.

I just got off the phone with my PVP at Carnival. I was checking on prices for a cruise for a friend and I. He mentioned that if I was planning to book any SOLO cruises in a 1A category, I needed to do it by tomorrow because as of Monday, June 7 all 1A would be at 200% for single passengers. So, I have been looking at cruises to see if there are any that I might want to book under the "wire" since I sail solo about 50% of the time.

I've never cruised solo but have been looking into it recently. If this is true I won't be able to go solo. Guess I better start hitting up some girlfriends to go with me. :p I just hate trying to orchestrate a group. :(

Archived