Specialty Restaurants on Golden Princess

hydrodriver831

We will be celebrating our anniversary (38th) on the Golden Princess this August and were thinking about going to the Crown Grill for the celebration. Is the food and experience worth the extra cost?:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes, it is worth the upcharge.

We did it on our 36th Anniversary this year while on the Golden. We did a blog while onboard and did a review with pictures of our dinner that night.

Here is the link to that day of the blog:

http://thegeomonkeys.com/2010/02/monday-february-1-2010-36th-anniversary-sea-day/

I have trouble with paying an up-charge for a steak that I can do as well or better at home. But with Sabatini's...well that is a different matter. In my mind Sabatini's would be a wonderful venue for an anniversary dinner.... but that is me.

I am not sure it is worth the up-charge. We live in beef country and we can get an incredible steak dinner for less than $25 here where I live. I am not sure the up-charge is worth it or not. I do it on half of my cruises so it is not unreasonable but not a MUST DO.

We did Crown Grill, with "Hernando, from Argentina" as our waiter. He was terrific; the food was less so. I think I could have done better steaks. A bit disappointed in the beef department this time. The Black and Bleu soup was outstanding, but then you have to like bleu cheese, I think.

That might be fun for an anniversary, but do know, they will make a huge fuss out of your anniversary at the main dining room. Celebrate it on "Lobster Night" and you will get balloons and a sign on your door, cake and singing at the table, for no upcharge. You can arrange for flowers and champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in your room as well.

For us, when we sailed on the Golden, we were going to book Sabatini's but just fell in love with the waiters we had in the dining room that we never made it over there and certainly didn't feel as though we missed out on anything!! We did the personal choice dining but ended up getting seated at the same table with the best waiters known to man. They would bring us little extras without even requesting it....and boy, were they great!! Even the head waiter treated us extra special ... don't know what that was all about. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but for us, couldn't find better service or food than in the MDR on the Golden.

Archived