Cruise now or wait a few years?

Bobbyjean

I and my husband are tempted to go on a P&O cruise to the Fjords in August this year. There is a special offer for this cruise but it still adds up to a lot of money. What we are uncertain about is whether we should go because we would have a one-year-old son with us.

Would it be better to put off going on a cruise until he's old enough to go to clubs, appreciate the vacation and food? What if he does not settle at night/for naps and annoys the people next door? It seems silly to spend all that money and not be able to enjoy most of the evening entertainment and be stuck in the cabin 2 hours a day or more while he has a nap ...

On the other hand, we need a vacation and Norway would be beautiful in August

What would you do?

If it is a choice between this cruise now, and something else later, I would wait on this cruise. If you really need a break, aim for something more family friendly. There are a couple of lines that offer babysitting, or even better kids club all day, and we have found that with kids, this makes the perfect family vacation - time for everyone together, but also time for adults.

Normally I would say, go for it! But you said one thing -- about the "settling at night". So only you know your child. Does he sleep through the night. Would he have a hard time?

If you think he would be waking often, then I would probably hold off because I wouldn't want to annoy the people in the next cabin. ;)

My daughters started cruising as infants so it is possible. But I knew that they would sleep and not interupt the people in the cabin next to us. And I knew that a day on a ship with a staff waiting on ME was better than any day at home. So I wasn't one to wait. And I wasn't going to leave them with anyone -- we vacation as a family.

I had no problem turning in early because in those days, I was so exhausted that I needed extra sleep anyway. :D We would always get balcony cabins so that when the babies needed a nap during the day, I could step outside and read a good book. :)

And if I wasn't ready to sleep, the balcony was great for some adult alone time under the stars.

For me, there is no magic time for a child to go on a cruise. Each family is different. Each has different needs and expectations. If you are expecting the cruise to be the same romantic, quiet getaway it was before baby, well then yes, wait till the baby is 3 and old enough to go to the kids club.

Cruising with a baby is totally different than cruising as a couple. If it's the relaxed, romantic style trip you're looking for, you won't get it with a 1 year old!

However, if you want a "family" vacation, then go for it! Most folks (including kids) sleep VERY well on a ship...motion, sea air....whatever, it works!

Of course, he is still to young to 'appreciate" this vacation....so it would be for you adults, not him....

The itinerary you're talking about is not the best in terms of children, especially infants. If you want to do a cruise, I would consider one that's more child friendly. I've done that particular cruise itinerary three times, and it's really something geared towards adults---actually, there were very few kids on any of those three cruises.

We started sailing with both our children as infants at 7-8 months. My DS is 17months and will be going on his 4th cruise so we tend to cruise alot. Both kids have slept very well on cruises. I think they are so worn out from the day of new adventures that they sleep well at night. The gentle rocking helps also.

It is different cruising with young children but so is every other vacation. You will be confined to the cabin more often than you normally would but sometimes that can be a blessing. I always take plenty of good reading material/ipod movies and DH and I take turns so each of us gets to enjoy the nightlife/activities. We also try and book a balcony cabin if we can afford it so we can enjoy drinks on the balcony while the kids sleep or sit out and watch the water during naptime.

We enjoy cruising as a family and feel its much easier than any land based vacation since everything you need is right there. If your baby is tired or needs a break all you have to do go back to the cabin while everyone else in your family can continue to enjoy themselves.

If you need a vacation cruising can definitely be enjoyable with an infant. You still are working taking care of the baby, but someone is waiting on you for a change.

I and my husband are tempted to go on a P&O cruise to the Fjords in August this year. There is a special offer for this cruise but it still adds up to a lot of money. What we are uncertain about is whether we should go because we would have a one-year-old son with us.

Would it be better to put off going on a cruise until he's old enough to go to clubs, appreciate the vacation and food? What if he does not settle at night/for naps and annoys the people next door? It seems silly to spend all that money and not be able to enjoy most of the evening entertainment and be stuck in the cabin 2 hours a day or more while he has a nap ...

On the other hand, we need a vacation and Norway would be beautiful in August

What would you do?

I think it depends on your child but I'd like to throw in two cents regarding nap time. :) On days at sea I am all for putting the child down for a nap for 2 hrs while I rest and read. If I am out on an excursion I want my child to rest in the stroller. I wouldn't plan a cruise and plan on going back to the ship for a nap. It's unrealistic. You just hope and pray they pass out in the stroller. If that isn't an option for you to try then I wouldn't attempt to do a cruise (or any vacation)like that.

We have 7yr old & 3yr old twins- they all travel great & we vacation for 1-2 wks 3-4 times a year with a few other shorter vacations. By no means are any of these vacations the same vacations we took when it was just the 2 of us but nonetheless, we have had some amazing family vacations/cruises/ Denali tours,etc.

If I really wanted to go on a peaceful, relaxing, romantic cruise and it was a significant amount of $$ that it was more so a trip of a lifetime-- I don't think I would go. If you are looking just to go & have a great family time-- for us a singleton 1 yr old was easily manageable on any vacation we took.

We usually flip a coin for nap time-- loser doesnt get to nap :). On port days-- same as other post-- nap time was in the stroller or not at all- we never went back to the ship for nap time unless we didnt have any shore plans.

Night time. -- sometimes they would go tot he shows with us. They either loved the shows or would fall asleep- we never had to leave the shows due to fussiness- but were fully prepared at any moment that this might have to occur-- we've just been lucky. Some night DH didnt care to go to the show-- so I would go alone w/ older son or just by myself

Both of our boys started traveling at an early age. Our eldest was 6 months old and our youngest was 15 months.

We too, took turns in the evening going out or we would take in a show all together, but would sit in a location where we could slip out with minimal disruption to others. Quite often one of them would fall asleep during the show and we would carry them back to the cabin.

Plan on eating during the early sitting unless he is used to napping late and eating late. On our first cruise, we booked the late seating with visions of our 6 month old sleeping quietly beside us in a stroller. It couldn't be further from the truth and I still remember the Head Waiter cutting up my husband's food so that he could eat while holding our fussy baby. We wolfed down our dinner so that we could get back to our cabinas quickly as possible. In hindsight, we should have ordered room service that night.

I agree about getting a balcony cabin or at least an ocean view so that you still have a sense of what is happening outside during nap time and so that you can still see the spectacular scenery.

We took both an umbrella stroller and a baby carrier. There were some excursions that involved a lot of stairs, cobblestone roads or hiking and it was nice to not be limited to a stroller. Make use of the carrier before you go so that it he is used to it, and if you don't already have one, be sure to get one that goes around your hips so that your shoulders don't get too strained. I used our Baby Trekker until the kids were about 18 months and it was a great way to get back into shape.

I would say to go if you really want to get away, but you do have to keep your expectations in line with reality when traveling with a 1 yr old. You can still have a wonderful time, but it will be very different than your past trips. Be flexible with your plans and I would avoid any long shore excursions. If there is something that you want to see, try booking a private tour, it could even be a local taxi that you hire at the pier, so that you have the flexibility to stop and eat, stretch your legs or go back to the ship if your little one gets too fussy. Be sure to check out the ports of call boards to get ideas of things do in the various ports.

I think it comes down to the personality of your little traveller. Are they easy going or are they higher maintenence, always on the go and hard to settle. Try going away for a couple of days to ge a sense of how well they thrive away from home.

Let us know what you decide.

Thank you for all the great advice.

After thinking about it, we have decided to wait a few years and then go on a longer cruise with our LO. We might go on one of those 14-night trips where you also go to Iceland etc. What a fantastic cruise to look forward to.

It was my husband who decided it was a bad idea ... he says it would be frustrating being stuck in the cabin in the evenings and not able to fully appreciate the dining room etc. Our son sleeps through 7 pm to 7am (at home) but is not so good settling for daytime naps, he never sleeps when we are out, just gets very grumpy! Plus he is due to cut another 20 teeth soon and that will probably happen during the cruise if we go :rolleyes:

We are doing a house swap with the grandparents this year, they live on a farm in France. That is probably a more suitable vacation for a 1-year old (and much less expensive!).

Thank you for all the great advice.

After thinking about it, we have decided to wait a few years and then go on a longer cruise with our LO. We might go on one of those 14-night trips where you also go to Iceland etc. What a fantastic cruise to look forward to.

It was my husband who decided it was a bad idea ... he says it would be frustrating being stuck in the cabin in the evenings and not able to fully appreciate the dining room etc. Our son sleeps through 7 pm to 7am (at home) but is not so good settling for daytime naps, he never sleeps when we are out, just gets very grumpy! Plus he is due to cut another 20 teeth soon and that will probably happen during the cruise if we go :rolleyes:

We are doing a house swap with the grandparents this year, they live on a farm in France. That is probably a more suitable vacation for a 1-year old (and much less expensive!).

I hope you have a wonderful time doing the house swap! I think that sounds fabulous! :)

Archived