How to Not Flood the Bathroom When Showering?

Quampapetet

We had the same problem on Valor a couple of years ago. The shower just didn't seem to drain fast enough to keep up with the water flow. We would roll a towel & place it around the outside of that lip. At least it kept you from standing in a puddle of water after getting out of the shower. We didn't have that problem on Conquest last year. I guess it's just luck of the draw.

I don't know if every Carnival bathroom or ship is like this or it was just mine, but every time I showered, the water would not go down the drain fast enough and, therefore, flood the bathroom with a couple inches of water. I was surprised that there wasn't a usual drain on the bathroom floor to catch this (like the one in my Royal Caribbean bathroom), though I eventually found the little hole-in-the-wall drain 'cause it kept gurgling*.

I thought the drain might be clogged, so I called housekeeping and they sent a plumber, who apparently fixed it. But, every shower the bathroom still flooded and I used up every single towel in the room, including the shore excursion towel, to mop it up, including ringing out and remopping (pretty annoying).

Is this usual? If so, is there some trick y'all have to make the water not flood over the whole bathroom?

*(BTW, the way to stop the shower drain and wall drain from annoying you to death with gurgles is to place towels over/against them. Even with the bathroom door latched closed the gurgling was annoying [in my cabin the bathroom door was right by the bed, not by the door to the cabin].)

Use the Spa/Gym showers! Roomier too. Lockers for your things. Vanities for after shower stuff.

I think it's a matter of luck of the draw and the volume of water you have coming out of the shower. I don't turn the shower on full volume and do turn it off to shave my legs, but we did have a shower drain back up once. Maintenance came and fixed it. I think it was on Conquest.

I put clothespins every 4-5 inches on the bottom of the shower curtain and that keeps it in the shower stall. Never used the spa showers as I don't like to get dressed to go take a shower.:D

Had it happen once on the Destiny. Learned real quick to not turn the water on full blast. I think a lot has to do with what time of day you are showering. If a lot of people are showering at the same time, the pipes can't handle it all at once.

I don't know if every Carnival bathroom or ship is like this or it was just mine, but every time I showered, the water would not go down the drain fast enough and, therefore, flood the bathroom with a couple inches of water. I was surprised that there wasn't a usual drain on the bathroom floor to catch this (like the one in my Royal Caribbean bathroom), though I eventually found the little hole-in-the-wall drain 'cause it kept gurgling*.

I thought the drain might be clogged, so I called housekeeping and they sent a plumber, who apparently fixed it. But, every shower the bathroom still flooded and I used up every single towel in the room, including the shore excursion towel, to mop it up, including ringing out and remopping (pretty annoying).

Is this usual? If so, is there some trick y'all have to make the water not flood over the whole bathroom?

*(BTW, the way to stop the shower drain and wall drain from annoying you to death with gurgles is to place towels over/against them. Even with the bathroom door latched closed the gurgling was annoying [in my cabin the bathroom door was right by the bed, not by the door to the cabin].)

I've been on five Carnival cruises and this has never happened to me, nor have any of my traveling companions mentioned this. In fact, this is the first time I've heard of this problem.

Yes - the attack of the shower curtain! :)

I also got a package of plastic 'clips' from walmart and use those to 'weigh' down the curtain - this does help with the 'blowing' and flooding.

I also have the 'check shower' on my 1ist of 'things I first do upon entering my cabin' - to make sure there is hot water and it does drain (yes I found out the hard way once - right before 1st night dinner as I stood there in my robe waiting for the water to get hot - guess what!!! No hot water - what a nightmare that was).

Anyhow if you feel you have 'excessive' flooding I think you can let your room steward know as I have heard they can 'clear' the drain sometimes - worth a try I guess! Otherwise extra towels help! :)

I never had a problem either, except when the ship rocked, I almost fell out of the shower (the toilet saved me) and the shower curtain went flying. Just used towels on the floor to cover it.

Great to know about the spa showers. We sail three or four girls to a room and sometimes an extra shower would be great!

J:)Y

Never had this problem. I've gotten the bath mat provided slightly wet due to the ship's movement, but I've never flood the entire bathroom.

I gotta ask ... do you guys like flail around while showering or something? ;)

We have had this happen on occasion on all the ships except the Dream. On the Destiny, it was quite bad but it did vary on ship movement. On the Destiny, I was showering as we were docking and the boat pitched just enough to send the water away from the drain and over the almost non existing lip of the shower - it floored the carpet outside the bathroom door. We have found that if you check the position of the shower curtain and put some clothespins along the bottom to help weight the curtain, it does help some (don't step on the clothespins;))

The first thing I noticed in the bathroom in the aft cabin on the Dream was that the lip of the shower was now raised quite a bit. It helped alot with keeping the shower curtain and water inside and we never used the clothes pins for the curtain.

This is usual. The only trick that worked for me was to only turn on the water when it is needed. IE, turn off the shower when you shampoo, back on to rinse.

I think I did that, not only to help the flooding but because there's not much room in that shower to step away from the spray so you can soap up your head (or body, as I use a liquid body wash).

The only thing that helped was when I got a terribly painful sunburn and could only sponge-bath myself instead of use the shower! :p (I will definitely try to NOT do that to myself again!!! I didn't reapply the sunscreen enough, especially after getting out of the ocean.)

We had the same problem on Valor a couple of years ago. The shower just didn't seem to drain fast enough to keep up with the water flow. We would roll a towel & place it around the outside of that lip. At least it kept you from standing in a puddle of water after getting out of the shower. We didn't have that problem on Conquest last year. I guess it's just luck of the draw.

Thanks, I'll try the rolled towel trick if I get another shower that drains slowly on my next cruise (hopefully I'll get a fast drainer, though!).

LOL!! Yes, I flail like a wild turkey! :p Just kidding. I just use the bath scrubby (loaded with liquid body wash) on my body and shampoo and then conditioner in my hair and then shave my armpits - so, no unnatural shower movements. TMI, I'm sure, hahaha.

Its a ship...on water...the ocean...that is alot of water to compete against...your small few pints of shower water weighing against the mighty ocean....can't fight the pressure.

Well, makes as much sense as not reading the OP issue and thinking this had something to do with the curtains and how much splashing goes on.

And yes, I too have had slow drains from ship to ship, or just day to day. Probably just inate to putting 1500 showers on a boat.

Its a ship...on water...the ocean...that is alot of water to compete against...your small few pints of shower water weighing against the mighty ocean....can't fight the pressure.

By George, I think you've got it! :p

Well, makes as much sense as not reading the OP issue and thinking this had something to do with the curtains and how much splashing goes on.

;)

Never had a flooding issue. Always roll up a towel and stick it next to the shower lip. While shampooing/washing the bod, I point the shower head towards the wall. I don't have the water coming out full blast either.

Shaving is definitely a challenge whilst cruising. :D

I shared a cabin with a friend. I'd take the first shower...never a problem with water on the floor..ever. He'd shower....the floor would be soaked.....Didn't compute....same shower....same curtain....what gives>????:confused:

Never had a flooding issue. Always roll up a towel and stick it next to the shower lip. While shampooing/washing the bod, I point the shower head towards the wall. I don't have the water coming out full blast either.

Shaving is definitely a challenge whilst cruising. :D

Yeah, I had the shower pointed as much towards the wall as possible while still being able to get under it. The problem wasn't splashing water, it was the drain wasn't draining fast enough - the shower would fill up and overflow.

I have no idea what setting the strength of water was on.

Same thing happened to me on the Freedom in October, as well as a friend in another cabin....apparently the trick was to not put the water on full blast..the drain just can't keep up.I spent three showers with an eye on the shower curtain to see if water was coming out from there!! :D We happened to be on deck 8..don't know if being higher up on the ship made a difference... will have to see what happens on the Miracle THIS year on deck 4!

On a Destiny cruise, we had an aft wrap balcony cabin. The configuration of the cabin and bathroom was atypical. Because the shower was wider than those in standard balcony cabins, the shower curtain only covered about 3/4 of the shower opening. I assume this is why the water pressure was turned down very low in the shower head. It was challenging to rinse my very thick, long hair with low water pressure. I also had to line the bathroom floor with towels to prevent a flood from the 1/4 uncovered shower opening.

So it's not just me. I don't flail and the shower curtain is tight against the wall. I have been on 10 Carnival cruises and at least 3 different cruises the bathroom would flood. The Victory was one time that it absolutely did not flood. We did not have hot water in our room 5 of the 7 days:eek:.

Never had this problem. I've gotten the bath mat provided slightly wet due to the ship's movement, but I've never flood the entire bathroom.

Naw, not really. It doesn't take much movement of the ship to push the shower curtain out of the floor lip with the shower on. Of course, tall girls with long legs need more room to shave our legs, so maybe that's it.:p

Archived