GCT Great Rivers of Europe

cartervan

It's just a little over a month until our long-awaited Grand Circle Great Rivers of Europe cruise, and excitement is building! Anyone out there going with us (on The Melody, leaving July 12 from Amsterdam) ?? Anyone just back from that trip? Anyone taking that trip later on this summer? If so, any comments, tips, musings?

Glad to see your posting. We just booked our first GCT today on their July 12 2010 Love to hear any info good or bad. Do or Don't do.

We have been on the Viking boats. Europe and China and liked them very much. Hope we aren't dissappointed. I think they all run things about the same.

Were you on the Harmony??

Please write a report when you return. I looked at this cruise for next year. I sent them an Email but no reply yet. Not sure if I can buy off them as I'm in Australia. I had to put a zip code to send them a request (I made one up- but told them that).

How booked out do these cruises get? Looking at March/April

I was just reading the listing of complaints against Grand Circle's River Cruises. There were dozens, and they were quite serious. Many included litigation. When I fininished, I was in shock. Now I'm afraid to go. Have any of you read this? Do any of you have recent experience on one of their river cruises? Have you heard that Grand Circle was removed from the Better Business Bureau? Can anyone make me feel better? Thank you.

Don't worry about all the GCT complaints. Most of them are old and the problems have been addressed. I looked at Grand Circle on Boston's BBB and the have a rating of 'A' but are not accredited. Many people complain about things that are spelled out in GCT's contracts. Their customer service does need help but even that is getting better.

I have been on 15 trips with GCT/OAT and have two more planned including their Holland river cruise next spring.

• 3 weeks later...
I was just reading the listing of complaints against Grand Circle's River Cruises. There were dozens, and they were quite serious. Many included litigation. When I fininished, I was in shock. Now I'm afraid to go. Have any of you read this? Do any of you have recent experience on one of their river cruises? Have you heard that Grand Circle was removed from the Better Business Bureau? Can anyone make me feel better? Thank you.

That's all old news. Comes up every so often. I've been on 6 GCT river boat trips and all have been just wonderful. I've never had any problem with them.

Hi Katiecat,

We were on River Aria this past Dec. when we did our 1st GCT. We loved the ship, very clean, ship personnel very friendly and helpful, the food was the best we've ever had on a cruise - that chef was outstanding. We booked the trip at the last minute only 2 weeks to sailing. Best thing we ever did for ourselves. My husband loved river cruising. We are contemplating another cruise in Nov. so we can experience the Christmas Markets again. The ports were awesome.

We had only a very positive experience w/ GCT. From the 1st phone call I made about the cruise, to the flight back home there were no problems. Any time I called the reservations or sales depts. my questions were always answered promptly. Do not worry about what you have been reading, the cruise will be so awesome and you will look back w/ happy memories and not being able to wait til you go on another one.

You will find people complain about the least little thing. I can only tell you about the positive things and not any negative.

Feel free to ask any questions. Go an enjoy your cruise and be sure to post a review when you return. You won't be sorry you cruised GCT!

Mary

My wife and I have been back from our May 30-June 14 cruise with GCT on the RIVER HARMONY just a few days now. We are ready to go again tomorrow!!!.

This is the best trip we've been on yet. The ship-boat was great. After the second day, the crew of 34 knew our names and greeted us in the hallways. Our tour director was the best (JOHNESSE BRAUN). The relaxed atmosphere on board was really good. The food was wonderful. The wine was great and the beer was better than that. That leaves the ports, what a history lesson!! The tours were great, the shopping was too, and the free time to enjoy the towns were the best. If you can, do as many of the optional tours as possible.

Thru-out the entire process, Grand Circle has been very professional and helpful. We had no problems at all, except the jet lag.

I'll try to do a better report of the ports later.

TOM:)

Tom, thanks for your report. Will be anxious to read your port reviews. You had the same experience as we did - awesome! We are so hooked on river cruising, although we are leaving Thursday for Alaska.

I think one of the things that I liked the best was the small informal atmosphere on the ship. As you mentioned, all the ship's personnel got to know you by name by the time your cruise was finished. They couldn't do enough to make your cruise special. The 4 tour directors we had were outstanding. It didn't matter which group you were assigned to, if you had any questions about anything any of the 4 directors would take the time to answer them. If they didn't know, they'd find out and come look for you on the ship if you were aboard. We sat in the lounge area a lot as that's where you meet many of your fellow cruisemates playing cards, on their laptops, etc.

It was such a wonderful experience for us. We have been on many ocean cruises but this one will remain one of our very favorites. We can't wait for the next one, it can only get better.

Looking forward to your report. We will be gone until mid July but I'll check back then.

Mary

My wife and I have been back from our May 30-June 14 cruise with GCT on the RIVER HARMONY just a few days now. We are ready to go again tomorrow!!!.

This is the best trip we've been on yet. The ship-boat was great. After the second day, the crew of 34 knew our names and greeted us in the hallways. Our tour director was the best (JOHNESSE BRAUN). The relaxed atmosphere on board was really good. The food was wonderful. The wine was great and the beer was better than that. That leaves the ports, what a history lesson!! The tours were great, the shopping was too, and the free time to enjoy the towns were the best. If you can, do as many of the optional tours as possible.

Thru-out the entire process, Grand Circle has been very professional and helpful. We had no problems at all, except the jet lag.

I'll try to do a better report of the ports later.

TOM:)

We will boarding on July 13 and look forward to the experience of CGT. This is our first. How did you make out on the extra tours and what did you take and like or what did other passengers say about their choice??

Please post dos and donts. Eleanor

We will boarding on July 13 and look forward to the experience of CGT. This is our first. How did you make out on the extra tours and what did you take and like or what did other passengers say about their choice??

Please post dos and donts. Eleanor

I think your earlier post is right, they are all probably the same , or close to it!!

At first, we only signed up for 2 of the optional tours. As time pasted and we got to know other crusiers, we signed up for more. Then we didn't want to miss anything, so we ended up going on all of them. We are so glad we didn't miss any of them. We spent more than we planned on but, what the heck!!!!!

Are you going on the HARMONY? If so, say hi to Javon, Arum, Henry, and of course Margarita all in the dinning room. We really had a good time.

TOM

I think your earlier post is right, they are all probably the same , or close to it!!

At first, we only signed up for 2 of the optional tours. As time pasted and we got to know other crusiers, we signed up for more. Then we didn't want to miss anything, so we ended up going on all of them. We are so glad we didn't miss any of them. We spent more than we planned on but, what the heck!!!!!

Are you going on the HARMONY? If so, say hi to Javon, Arum, Henry, and of course Margarita all in the dinning room. We really had a good time.

TOM

Yes, we board the Harmony in Bassel. Only hope the weather isn't to hot. We here in the east just got some relief today, but going up to 90's by the weekend.

Some reports on the different threads give different opinions on tours. How was Marksburg castle? Did you do the palace. I think H. wants to go to the Delta works,I think Baden Baden is on our list, but some say after the ride you don't get much time there. Please share any feed back. Booked on the lower deck, hope we don't have any regrets. I guess they never give up grades, as the list says there is 72 of us and I thought the boat holds 140??

Yes, we board the Harmony in Bassel. Only hope the weather isn't to hot. We here in the east just got some relief today, but going up to 90's by the weekend.

Some reports on the different threads give different opinions on tours. How was Marksburg castle? Did you do the palace. I think H. wants to go to the Delta works,I think Baden Baden is on our list, but some say after the ride you don't get much time there. Please share any feed back. Booked on the lower deck, hope we don't have any regrets. I guess they never give up grades, as the list says there is 72 of us and I thought the boat holds 140??

It's been in the high 90's or low 100's since we got back. The locals said we brought a heat wave with us high 70's low 80's!!! Tenessee can get pretty hot when you play golf, 4 days last week.

We really liked Marksburg, it's a rough walk but worth it. The palace was another palace. We didn't get to Baden Baden--not on our intenary.

There will be more than 72 on the boat. I don't think you have to worry much about where on the boat you are. We didn't look out all thaty much ande being below the waterline is no concern to me. We spent a lot of free boat time on the deck watching the world go by.

TOM

We just got off the Melody on Sunday and did the itinerary I think you are talking about. The Marksburg Castle is a very hard walk up, but the Augustburg Palace is easy and well worth the trip. Another one is Cochem Castle, even better! The itinerary is great. They had taken the Delta Works off the itinerary, you might check with GCT about that, we were very disappointed.

It's been in the high 90's or low 100's since we got back. The locals said we brought a heat wave with us high 70's low 80's!!! Tenessee can get pretty hot when you play golf, 4 days last week.

We really liked Marksburg, it's a rough walk but worth it. The palace was another palace. We didn't get to Baden Baden--not on our intenary.

There will be more than 72 on the boat. I don't think you have to worry much about where on the boat you are. We didn't look out all thaty much ande being below the waterline is no concern to me. We spent a lot of free boat time on the deck watching the world go by.

TOM

I appreciate the feed back on the things you have seen. I guess we will see how things work out for the Marksburg castle we normaly do walking at home but because of heat and me with a groin hurt have been lax.

H.behind on his walking as he to use to golf 3 times a week but gave up the CC last fall. The last few times he has been riding when he goes out. If the walk is just up grade with steps here and there we can handle that. Over weight isn't any problem. With more then our list says with names why do you say there would be more then 72?? Makes sense that there would be more being it is summer and etc.

Eleanor

I took the Marksburg Castle tour this past May with GCT. It was a very impressive tour of the castle. However, I do want you to be aware that in order to get up to the castle, one must either take about 140 steps up or the paved incline. Also, make sure you have good walking shoes as the cobblestones throughout the castle are quite rough(more so than in any town we visited). There are also stairs within the castle one must take.

Hope this information helps.

On our cruise, this trip led to the most complaints from other cruisers about the walking. The grade is steep, the paving is very uneven and there are a lot of stairs.

In my opinion, the complaints were totally unjustified as the Cruise Directors were very straight forward in telling people that the walking would not be easy.

I'm so happy that people do read the thread and answer questions that are asked. For me your time was not wasted.

I know in other trips no matter how well the guides try to infom you I don't think people take them seriouly and yes then complain.

I think we will see what the temp. is like and how we feel that day. After you get up there can it just be another view up high and yes we have been in castle's before. I know the pictures in the books certainly looks like the river is way down below with the shot of the castle way up high.

Again thanks, Eleanor

Archived