Need Serenade Cabin Selection Advice

We're going on a family cruise next year and are trying to pick our cabin. We are new to RCCL, so I don't know the ins and outs of the ships and categories. We usually book suites, but it doesn't seem to get us that much more on RCCL and given our itinerary make sense. We are sailing the Serenade. Cabin size isn't that important to us, but the balcony is.

The grand suite is in our budget, but having done some research it looks like there are some great balconies options with a junior suite and even deluxe balcony. I'm all for saving money if we can get a huge balcony for less. As an option to the GS, we can get JS 1100 - which seems to have as large a balcony, D1 - 1056 and D2 -9256. From what I have read and can see on the deck plans, it looks like the best options to a GS are 1100 and 9256. The JS is $400 more than the D2. Is the balcony that much bigger? Is it worth the difference based on 1st balcony size and second based on cabin size? I'm assuming that if we can get JS 1100, it is definitely worth the savings from the GS. Please confirm if this is correct, of course presuming the suite amenities aren't that important to us on this cruise.

Given that we are looking for a large balcony, are there other cabins we should be looking at?

Thank you so much!!!!

Alaska2009212-1.jpg

IMG]http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/Suzieq811/Alaska2009213-1.jpg[/img]

These are pictures of a JS on Radiance, Serenade's sister ship. The balcony was a very good size, although you can't really see it in these pics. I have only heard of the balcony on JS1100, never actually have seen it. People say it is huge. I personally don't like sailing with a rear view, like to see where I'm going. Just personal preference. That's why we like to be more forward than aft. But you will love the JS - very roomy with lots of storage space and a great walk in closet. Sitting area where the couch is, is also very roomy. Bathroom not as huge as the GS, though, but sufficient.

Alaska2009213-1.jpg

The balconies are the width of the cabin, so a JS will have a wider balcony than a D or E catagory.

The aft balconies are MUCH deeper than anything on the side of the ship. Some of the corner "hump" cabins have deeper balconies, too.

A JS and above will have a tub...the other cabins have only a small shower.

We were in 1102 last Jan on the Serenade, right next to JS 1100. We knew the people in 1100 from here on CC so whenever we were out on the balconies, we would chat. 1100 does have a huge balcony which would do well for your family. I have sailed in 9256 and loved it, but I would think that a JS would be better for a family with the larger bathroom and walk-in closet so 1100 would be a great choice. Actually, we had friends in a GS and overall, I don't think their balcony was much larger than ours. You will love your trip!:D We loved our first one so much we are going on our third in Jan (all in aft balcony cabins).:)

i have been in both 1100 and 9256. The balcony for 1100 is slightly larger than that of 9256. To me, the difference was not material. By the way, these are wider than the actual cabin size rather than deeper (as compared to 1102).

1100 is a much bigger cabin. It does have the walk-in closet mentioned and the

bathroom with a tub.

If you are wanting to compromise on price and still get a big balcony, go with 9256. Otherwise, I'd pick 1100 if I were used to GS cabins.

Thanks all for the prompt responses. We are just two, but traveling with in-laws, SIL's family and BIL's family. Figured we could host the sailaway party and maybe 1 or 2 others and then just hide out on our balcony alone!

My favorite view is a completely forward cabin - under the bridge like we had on the NCL Gem in the Med a couple years ago; the balcony and suite were about all we loved of that cruise. Well, that and the ports themselves. We were able to escape the chaos of the rest of the ship and at night it was completely dark since we were right under the bridge. Absolutely glorious with all the stars.

Will talk to DH husband tonight about 1100 versus 9256. Leaning towards JS since we are used to suites on Celebrity and NCL and it already saves a ton over the GS. Then again, while we want room for a sailaway, don't want to encourage too much visiting either.

Archived