Disappointed with itineraries

emairs

We sailed on the first Equinox TA last November. Other than our beautiful S1 cabin, we did not particularly care for the ship.

We want to return to the M-class ships, but it appears that the only one going to Europe, at least in 2011, is the Constellation.

If we want to take a European cruise in future, we have limited choice.

I love the elite perks, but I can't find a cruise I want to take.

Perhaps 2012 will be better.

In the meantime, I'm cruising on Princess and Oceania.

I enjoyed my Princess cruise, but I really loved the Solstice class ship. I notice that you have a cruise booked on the Grand Princess? What do you like better on the that ship compared to the Solstice class?

I have been on the M class ships numerous times including as long as 28 days one. For me, they don't compare to the S class ships. While the M class have one more bank of elevators and some bigger aft balconies, I greatly prefer the S class ships.

I enjoyed my Princess cruise, but I really loved the Solstice class ship. I notice that you have a cruise booked on the Grand Princess? What do you like better on the that ship compared to the Solstice class?

Well, I have never cruised on the Grand, and I am expecting an older ship, probably in need of refurbishment. At least I have an aft mini suite, so I will be happy with that.

I can't compare the two but I didn't like the size or layout of the Equinox. There is no lounge for pre dinner entertainment and drinks. It is in the lobby, which I found to be awkward and weird.

Our latest Princess itinerary is really nice, which is why we have been cruising Princess lately.

Well, I have never cruised on the Grand, and I am expecting an older ship, probably in need of refurbishment. At least I have an aft mini suite, so I will be happy with that.

I can't compare the two but I didn't like the size or layout of the Equinox. There is no lounge for pre dinner entertainment and drinks. It is in the lobby, which I found to be awkward and weird.

Our latest Princess itinerary is really nice, which is why we have been cruising Princess lately.

I see. Perhaps it depends on whether you dine early or a little later. We found entertainment is several areas of ship before dinner, (Michael's, Ensemble?) but I agree the entertainment in the center was a little awkward. I know that the Solstice is larger than the Emerald, but it did not seem like it to us. I have learned that I do like "new". I cruised on the Summit when it was first introduced and it was excellent. I also liked it the second time.

Enjoy your Grand cruise and thank you for the clarification.

There is no lounge for pre dinner entertainment and drinks. It is in the lobby, which I found to be awkward and weird.

Did you visit Ensemble lounge? My parents were a little dissapointed in Equinox pre-dinner "lounging" compared to Constellation until they discovered (or actually were pointed there by me) Ensemble.

The S-class is Celebrity's "next greatest thing", which is why they'll all head to Europe at some point or another. They can command higher prices, Europe is an extremely valuable market, and cruisers always want to sail on the newest and latest ship out there. I wouldn't be surprised to continue to see the S-class dominate Europe, even when all 5 ships are sailing.

X will keep the M-class closer to the US as they can transit the Panama Canal and have more flexibility as a result of that. I doubt we'll see an S-class head to the West coast or Alaska for quite a few years, either until they widen the canal or X decides that it's worth it to send the ship around the horn.

As for the itineraries, they've almost always been stagnant and uninteresting. It's one of Celebrity's biggest weaknesses IMHO. It's a shame, because if the itineraries had more variety, we would almost exclusively sail Celebrity.

I see. Perhaps it depends on whether you dine early or a little later. We found entertainment is several areas of ship before dinner, (Michael's, Ensemble?) but I agree the entertainment in the center was a little awkward. I know that the Solstice is larger than the Emerald, but it did not seem like it to us. I have learned that I do like "new". I cruised on the Summit when it was first introduced and it was excellent. I also liked it the second time.

Enjoy your Grand cruise and thank you for the clarification.

You're right. There are those small entertainment areas on the ship, but not a room such as the Rendezvous lounge on the M-ships, which we really enjoy.

I also didn't notice any difference in size between the Emerald and Equinox, and I, too, like to try the new ships. This is why we are cruising on the Oceania Marina in March.

The only reason we are sailing on the Grand is because of the itinerary. Princess has some really good itineraries.

The S-class is Celebrity's "next greatest thing", which is why they'll all head to Europe at some point or another. They can command higher prices, Europe is an extremely valuable market, and cruisers always want to sail on the newest and latest ship out there. I wouldn't be surprised to continue to see the S-class dominate Europe, even when all 5 ships are sailing.

X will keep the M-class closer to the US as they can transit the Panama Canal and have more flexibility as a result of that. I doubt we'll see an S-class head to the West coast or Alaska for quite a few years, either until they widen the canal or X decides that it's worth it to send the ship around the horn.

As for the itineraries, they've almost always been stagnant and uninteresting. It's one of Celebrity's biggest weaknesses IMHO. It's a shame, because if the itineraries had more variety, we would almost exclusively sail Celebrity.

Thanks for your explanation. I guess that it makes sense. It's still disappointing that you have no choice of classes of ship if you want to go to certain areas.

You're right. If the itineraries were really exciting, we would probably continue to cruise on the S-class ships.

You're right. There are those small entertainment areas on the ship, but not a room such as the Rendezvous lounge on the M-ships, which we really enjoy.

I also didn't notice any difference in size between the Emerald and Equinox, and I, too, like to try the new ships. This is why we are cruising on the Oceania Marina in March.

The only reason we are sailing on the Grand is because of the itinerary. Princess has some really good itineraries.

Based on my experience of one cruise Oceania was excellent. I am sure that the new Marina is going to be really special. Have a great time and report back.

Archived