Naples?

Karen Lynn

There are quite a few good options from Naples ... have a look at the "Don't Miss" and "Shore Excursions" from this link for suggestions: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=72

.............. and plenty of threads on this forum - Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi coast, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Ischia, even places in Naples itself (incl archeological museum) though its far from being my favourite city.

When you've researched the options, you'll realise that you've got some tough decisions to make, cos you can't do it all.

JB

If not wanting to do Pompei..might look at Capri or what are the other options? Thanks!

Lots of great options and info on this board. Here are two key suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on Capri, Sorrento, Positano, etc. SECOND, do a search on this board by each name and option and you will see lots of postings on various subjects related. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking.

Here are some visual samples for what you can see and enjoy on Capri, Positano, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

The Amalfi coast is stunning.

I was very glad that I hired an experienced driver and took my motion sickness meds (didn't need them on the cruise, but I sure did for that drive!).

rrobynec - We are wondering if it's better to go with a driver or to have a driver and guide for the trip down the Amalfi Coast. Any thoughts on that?

rrobynec - We are wondering if it's better to go with a driver or to have a driver and guide for the trip down the Amalfi Coast. Any thoughts on that?

Not rrobynec - but we used APTours for an Amalfi coast drive in November. Nice Mercedes minivan for five of us (DD, DH and me; and a couple I connected with on my cruise's meet and mingle). We just had a driver (Alberto) - his English was excellent and he was a local, so we really didn't need a guide for much of anything. We had done some research and he made certain we knew where needed to go at each stop.

When we were in Messina (Sicily) we hired a driver to Taormina. He did not speak English and was originally from the other side of the island. Fortunately my BIL had spent a lot of time in this part of Sicily, so he had explained pretty much what we might want to do so not having a driver with whom we could communicate was not a hardship.

So if you are looking for some "guidance", check with the company providing the car and driver and make certain you are getting a local driver who can speak English (unless your Italian is pretty good) -- and then a guide is not absolutely necessary. If you don't want to do your own research ahead of time, you may want to investigate a guide.

Not rrobynec - but we used APTours for an Amalfi coast drive in November. Nice Mercedes minivan for five of us (DD, DH and me; and a couple I connected with on my cruise's meet and mingle). We just had a driver (Alberto) - his English was excellent and he was a local, so we really didn't need a guide for much of anything. We had done some research and he made certain we knew where needed to go at each stop.

Onessa - Thank you for your helpful reply.

We used Rome-in-limo who we used for three ports, Florence, Rome and Naples. We had only drivers in each of these cities, although for the Vatican they hired a guide for us. The drivers were very knowlegeable about what you were seeing. I would highly recommend them. We loved Sorrento and Positano. would go back to both of them and spend more time. We did Pompeii so we did not have as much time in the two cities as we would have liked. Barbara

Archived