Book as solo, later find roommate?

John73

What would happen if I were to book a cruise as a solo traveller and then later find someone to go with me? Would I be able to change it to the per person/d.o. price? I'm not planning on doing this, just that it's a possibility that I was curoius about.

Yes, you can add another person to the booking UNLESS the ship is close to their maximum capacity, and then the answer would be no. Even if they had quad cabins available, they would not book those as quads once they reach their legal capacity. It has to do with lifeboat issues and having enough space for everyone.

What would happen if I were to book a cruise as a solo traveller and then later find someone to go with me? Would I be able to change it to the per person/d.o. price? I'm not planning on doing this, just that it's a possibility that I was curoius about.

I kept the base cabin rate--you'll recall from another thread that it has been 200% of the base single rate for me thus far--and paid port fees and taxes for two people rather than one... The total price went up modestly [but does vary from sailing to sailing] for the additional port fees/taxes assessed to the second person [they're per capita]...

If you add a second guest to your room before final payment, you should anticipate that there will be a need to ante up a deposit [typically, they are per person based upon cruise duration and higher for suites] for the second person... Celebrity will expect that payment at the time that the additional guest is added to the reservation...

All of this is, as Darcie noted, subject to capacity control...

Yes, you can book a cruise for a single person and then add another later.

I just did this for our upcoming Mercury cruise. I didn't have $900 for a deposit so the Celebrity rep let me book it as a single to hold the room and the rate. They charged $450 to my credit card. After my next billing cycle I will add my name to the reservation and the other $450 will be charged. I really didn't realize you could do this, but it's one way to stagger out payments without putting it on your credit card all at once.

Good luck finding a roommate.

Xport:

Since I see that you are a solo traveller, do you have any advice to offer me along the lines of solo travelling...e.g. best cruise lines..any tidbits. I'm going to cruise by myself (don't want a "roomie" at all). I'm a happly married female, and upon my husband's suggestion, am looking forward to a cruise by myself. I'm looking to do a Caribbean route, as this is one area that my husband doesn't want to do!

Xport:

Since I see that you are a solo traveller, do you have any advice to offer me along the lines of solo travelling...e.g. best cruise lines..any tidbits. I'm going to cruise by myself (don't want a "roomie" at all). I'm a happly married female, and upon my husband's suggestion, am looking forward to a cruise by myself. I'm looking to do a Caribbean route, as this is one area that my husband doesn't want to do!

To another thread--posing a question quite similar to yours [married traveling solo]--to which I contributed last month...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202360&highlight=

I'm not so experienced a cruiser so as to have tried a whole lot of cruise lines... But I would add that before selecting Celebrity for my first cruise in 20+ years and for my first solo cruise ever [in early 2009], I did spend some time reading reviews in search of a line with a personality that seemed most compatible with my own in terms of my interests, my activity preferences, and how I tend to live my life/what I like to do/what I most enjoy on a day-to-day basis while at home or for a special occasion... I was lucky to have found my niche right away with Celebrity...

I will also note that I had early concerns about getting lost in the crowd on some of the larger ships and that I might feel out of place in a couples-oriented setting... Those concerns quickly proved to be unwarranted; I've befriended wonderful couples and solos on each of my trips... Fact is, I think the larger ships--and I'm not talking about the mega ships with 4000/5000 guests [not sure those would work for me] but I'm perfectly comfortable on Solstice-Class [lots of space/few crowds/no gimmicks or hype]--offer more in the way of activities and have a broader array of guests... I'm sailing Azamara for the first time in September and now have the opposite concern [which is likely unfounded as well] in that I think that the ship--with a guest capacity of around 700--may be too small and a bit too sedate [i'm hardly a party guy] for me... But I won't know until I try it--Columbus took a chance--and always go into these things with a sense of fun and adventure...

I'm confident that you'll have a terrific time... The Caribbean does--to my mind--afford the ultimate opportunity for relaxation with a healthy dose of fun... Enjoy!

Xport:

Hi:) I have been sailing solo for 7 years now and I love it.:D

One suggestion, check out the roll call forum for your particular

sailing. It is a nice way to meet other folks who are on the same

cruise and sometimes there are pre-cruise events (depending

on the people) sometimes folks meet for drinks, dinner, etc.

I don't want "a roomie" either so I can relate;)

Hope you have a great time:)

To another thread--posing a question quite similar to yours [married traveling solo]--to which I contributed last month...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202360&highlight=

I'm not so experienced a cruiser so as to have tried a whole lot of cruise lines... But I would add that before selecting Celebrity for my first cruise in 20+ years and for my first solo cruise ever [in early 2009], I did spend some time reading reviews in search of a line with a personality that seemed most compatible with my own in terms of my interests, my activity preferences, and how I tend to live my life/what I like to do/what I most enjoy on a day-to-day basis while at home or for a special occasion... I was lucky to have found my niche right away with Celebrity...

I will also note that I had early concerns about getting lost in the crowd on some of the larger ships and that I might feel out of place in a couples-oriented setting... Those concerns quickly proved to be unwarranted; I've befriended wonderful couples and solos on each of my trips... Fact is, I think the larger ships--and I'm not talking about the mega ships with 4000/5000 guests [not sure those would work for me] but I'm perfectly comfortable on Solstice-Class [lots of space/few crowds/no gimmicks or hype]--offer more in the way of activities and have a broader array of guests... I'm sailing Azamara for the first time in September and now have the opposite concern [which is likely unfounded as well] in that I think that the ship--with a guest capacity of around 700--may be too small and a bit too sedate [i'm hardly a party guy] for me... But I won't know until I try it--Columbus took a chance--and always go into these things with a sense of fun and adventure...

I'm confident that you'll have a terrific time... The Caribbean does--to my mind--afford the ultimate opportunity for relaxation with a healthy dose of fun... Enjoy!

Just a word about Azamara. I had sailed on the Quest a few months ago and I can definitely tell you that Azamara is VERY sedate. In fact, the ship has practically nothing to do as far as activities during the day as well as in the evening. I didn't really mind the lack of activities too much because we chose the ship for its wonderful itinerary and many overnight stays in various ports. Azamara ships are much smaller and carry only maximum of about 700 passengers so it was definitely a change for us from Celebrity. I know that many of the cruises are not sold out so the two ships are sailing with sometimes way fewer passengers than that.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you will not enjoy the cruise; I am sure you will.

But if you prepare yourself in advance for the differences, you will be less likely to be disappointed and you may actually be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks all. I'm good with not having a 'roomie' on the cruise. I just have a friend who sometimes decides to come along at the last minute. I figured I'd check and see if its an option for her to do that or if it must be pre-planned. Good to know I can probably wait up unti closer to the cruise date to get her to decide.

Archived